Need advice please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Need advice please

Post by Barcelona Rick »

A buddy is looking to buy a small frame 38 special. He is not going to be shooting it much...just a couple boxes to break it in and then he is going to stick it in his pocket, console in the truck and in the nightstand...he has a pretty tight budget. My first response was buy a S&W but the used models are sky high and I have heard some negatives about the new revolvers (high priced also). He has been looking at Rossi, Charter Arms. EAA and Taurus...I have zero experience with any of these brands...so does anyone have real world experience with any of these and what are y'alls opinions ?

rick
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need advice please

Post by TedH »

I've got a little Taurus Ultralight and I really like it. It's about the only CCW I carry anymore.
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am doing a build on a Rossi ( J frame sized ) D/A revolver right now.
Once you get it open they are pretty rough inside, I always polish them up.
But they go bang every time you operate the action, from your description that is really all he wants.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Ruger LCR

Kevin
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've had a Taurus 85 (J frame size, steel frame/cylinder) for several years and I have never regretted getting it. Loves DEWC over stiff loads, 3" @ 20 yds. I was looking for a Taurus Ultra Lite in .44 Special but haven't had much luck finding one. I'm not a rabid Tarus fan, just that they have guns that seem to fit my wants/needs...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Charter Arms have a lifetime warranty. If you send one back for inspection and upgrades, for $45 they will make it perfect. I would suggest something hammerless if you're (or he's) going to throw it in a pocket or glove box.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am not a small revolver person, but everyone I know who has had a Charter Arms has never complained about them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I carried a Taurus 85 ultralight for quite some time. It saw a lot of day in/day out use and only ever had +P's shot in it. I never had any trouble with it. Only thing I did to it was slick it up a bit and take a coil or two off the mainspring. I gave it to my dad who still is daily carrying it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have My Moms old Charter Arms .38, and I picked up a Taurus Ultra light .38 for the Wife when We took the CCW class. Momma is no Gun buff but She had no problem with the Taurus finishing the class. for what it is and cost it does it's job.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've many times carried a Charter Arms as my primary CCW gun, and never felt worried it would fail me. Less experience with Taurus, and I know 'these days' they ALL can produce lemons, but the ones I've had seem decent as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I really nice used S&W 642 hammerless Airweight (or 342 or 442) can be bought for $350 or less. Spend the extra (very few extra) dollars and get a S&W and you'll never regret it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The tough little Ruger LCR (hammerless) or new LCRx (hammer exposed) are quite fairly priced and, if you can get around the ugly, very compact and easy to carry or conceal. You should at the very least take a look here, and then look online for the pricing. Very affordable for the quality and reliability.
http://ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Can't say firing it to break it in then leaving it sit is a good idea. Practice is important. But, be that as it may, go with Charter or Taurus and he'll do fine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If he can't get a suitable S&W... go to the LCR.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm as big of a Ruger fan as anyone, but around here the LCRs are more expensive than the S&W J-frames and ugly to boot.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If I was buying a gun for my wife or daughter, I might give a crud what it looks like.

My main concern is that it works and is 100% reliable.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

I have a Taurus 85 Ultralight that I carry when my I am not carrying my NAA Sidewinder .Put a couple of 1000 rounds through it without a moments problem also have a 94 2" that's fired at least as many rounds without a stutter.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Have a 642 S&W that gets packed all the time & shot a lot
great little gun, fits in my back pocket just great, trouble is my Wife has discovered
how easy it carries also

ollogger
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote:If I was buying a gun for my wife or daughter, I might give a crud what it looks like.

My main concern is that it works and is 100% reliable.

:|
If everything else is the same, I'll choose the one that's more economical AND better looking. (and holds resale better) But that's just me using logic.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You guys are ignoring operative part of the original post.
There are budgetary restrictions in play.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have owned a Rossi 68 for more than 10 years and have carried and shot a lot of rounds through it with no trouble at all. Now that I carry a Taurus .44 special she claims the .38.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

And in it's role, will serve her well.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I was looking at j-frame S&Ws, along with the off-brands, a few weeks ago. I remarked to the salesman that I didn't see how he ever sold one of the off-brands while S&Ws were only $40-$50 more. He said they were a tough sale with that small a difference. I would never send my daughter or wife off with an off-brand. Nothing but a S&W, new or old.
Georgia On My Mind
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I agree with many of you. While I carried a Taurus for several years, my wife has a flatlatch model 36 and a model 442 S&W. Nothing else for her.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mac in Mo wrote:Ruger LCR

Kevin
+1 ... :)
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Taurus 85 or Ruger LCR. I got my daughter the Taurus in .357, slicked the action up some...fine little gun. Cuz has the LCR which I've shot. Both fine little guns.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Is he a good buddy ?

Problem is even the cheap junk is getting expensive. Unless you want cheap junk used! Then ???

My take, loan him the tiny amount of difference for a decent gun!
Tell him pay me when you can, even $5 a week or what the he## ever $5 a month!

If it was my friend wanting something to save his or families life
CZ P-07
I love that gun. Extremely capable and shoots very fine.

http://shootersmagazine.com/cz-p-07-dut ... ows-about/

Have seen them recently go for $375 on sale if you can catch one otherwise around $430 but still that is cheap.
Least to save my life I consider cheap.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

if $50 more gets you a Smith, seems like a no-brainer.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Men I agree 100% that a Smith or Colt is the way to go however, there is a money issue involved. There appears to be some troublesome QC issues with S&W now. The vintage S&W revolvers have risen in price over the past year or two and are becoming difficult to locate. As an example of the new revolvers available...S&W Model 360 $599...S&W Model 642 (with internal lock) $449...again QC issues ? Rossi (not sure of Model) $299...QC ? Several Taurus Models in the low to mid $300 range...QC ? He wants to buy new if possible...

Appreciate the input...

rick
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

LCR is excellent but not front pocket sized. Get a small loan and a S&W 642,
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jumbeaux,
Guess I was the only one who " got " the monetary restrictions.
We fortunate ones can afford the S&W's Colts Rugers.
Some folks simply do not have the means to indulge themselves in that manner.
This man seems to be facing the problem of being armed in the manner many would consider proper, or not being armed at all.
Not a pleasent prospect.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I saw the "tight budget" part. I am also on a very tight budget. I had to sell something to buy my LCR. While it doesn't "look" traditional, I don't consider that aspect of a gun when I am considering one for serious business. I have my other "nice looking" revolvers to show off or carry for hunting. The LCR isn't one that you will have to worry too much about if and when it gets wear and tear. It is a tool, it works well, and I must say, I like the utilitarian look that it has.

Kevin
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mescalero wrote:jumbeaux,
Guess I was the only one who " got " the monetary restrictions.
We fortunate ones can afford the S&W's Colts Rugers.
Some folks simply do not have the means to indulge themselves in that manner.
This man seems to be facing the problem of being armed in the manner many would consider proper, or not being armed at all.
Not a pleasent prospect.
You're not reading the posts. A S&W does not cost much more than a Taurus, Charter Arms, etc. and is much more reliable.
If I really wanted an economical revolver without breaking the bank I'd get past the "new only" requirement and get a good quality used one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a used gun. In fact, you can often try out (shoot) a used gun before you purchase. Can't do that at a retail store, at least not with the actual NIB gun you plan to purchase.

If I could afford $300 (plus tax?) for a new, cheapo knock-off brand, I would gladly save up $50 more and buy a good used item of a higher quality. New 642s are $379 at gun shows and used J-frames can be found for less. If they get really old, yes, the price can get high because now you're getting into collectibles instead of shooters. Pay now or pay later.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OK,
I apologize, I did not know top of the line handguns and not so top of the line handguns cost the same.
I thought the man had budgetary restrictions.
I guess I did not read the post properly.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would not hesitate to replace my S&W AirWeight .38 Special with another just like it. Taurus has a very good warranty, which is good because they seem to have to go back quite a bit. I wouldn't buy retread tires for my daughter, and I would not trust a second string handgun to protect myself and others 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I do like my S&W 642, excellent gun. Only reason I got it though was my BIL needed a snubby, so I gave him my Taurus 85 CH (Concealed Hammer), which had been an excellent gun for me. I missed having a snub so got the new Smith as finances were OK at the time. He used that 85 until he passed last year, never had a problem. Taurus has a lifetime warranty, many people have attested to having to use it. So, in my mind one may get a good one with never a problem like I did, or get a not so good one that the factory will fix for you. I vote for a used S&W for a few bucks more and not worrying about it.
Last edited by jazman on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:A S&W does not cost much more than a Taurus, Charter Arms, etc. and is much more reliable.
My Charter Arms revolvers (five I've owned for 20-25 years) have functioned PERFECTLY; I remain to be convinced that a S&W would somehow be functioning 'better' than they have. :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

You pay your money and make your choice. I bought a brand new S$W 642 last year for 339.00, it has no problem hitting a bowling pin at 25 yards with +P 158 lead hollow points.
Mine has no lock on it but was brand new and is my new carry gun. The 1911 got heavy after 50 :)
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

vancelw wrote: New 642s are $379 at gun shows and used J-frames can be found for less. If they get really old, yes, the price can get high because now you're getting into collectibles instead of shooters. Pay now or pay later.
My brother has attended the last Gun Show in Ft. Worth and in Houston and looked for the magical $339 to $379 S&W 442/642...none zero to be found...cheapest was $429...used Model 36's have risen in price also. That being said my friend now has a S&W M&P (pre-Model 10) from my modest collection...on loan until he doesn't need it any longer...not a snub but it will do. I do appreciate the assistance...never got an answer on the QC issues with the new Smiths...

rick
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Rick, your question is certainly understood. I know a person in NYS who took up shooting a few years back, along with his wife - and both have graduated to instructor.
He loves his Charter Arms Bulldog.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I guess what throws/confuses my buddy & I is the fact that most of you gentlemen will not hesitate to sing the praises of Rossi or Taurus Braztech lever guns but seem to think that neither of those manufactures can produce a reliable revolver...I have only owned S&W and Colt revolvers hence my question...

rick
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a Rossi M877 that has never failed to shoot or given me the least bit of trouble...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Confuses me too Rick :roll:
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

confusion notwithstanding, he asked for opinions and got them
I have a Taurus rimfire on my want list, because I know the Smith would be more than I could swing.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

jumbeaux wrote: He has been looking at Rossi, Charter Arms. EAA and Taurus...I have zero experience with any of these brands...so does anyone have real world experience with any of these and what are y'alls opinions ?

rick
bulldog1935 I asked for real world experiences and opinions on these 4 revolvers...I am a S&W fan but my newest was made in 1979 and I have been reading some very negative things about the current crop of J Frames...however, I do appreciate the responses...

rick
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Taurus Model 85 stainless steel chambered in 38 Special is what I'd recommend for a man on a budget http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries= . I've carried it in a Galco "Fletch" holster for well over 10 years (I think 15). I carry it when climbing trees, when crawling under cars, when snoozing in my chair late at night - I carry it everywhere. I own Smith and Ruger handguns as well, and this Taurus is every bit as reliable and sturdy. I've owned Charter Arms and Colt DA revolvers and consider the Taurus more reliable and sturdy than them. I owned two other 85's before the one I carry and both proved to be reliable, although once a cylinder unscrewed after extensive shooting and Taurus fixed it. But I've had other brand guns break before as well. If you use something a lot it will wear.

Smith may be of slightly better quality (and perhaps better finished), but not enough to justify the much higher price. Rugers are worth every penny, but are more expensive than a Taurus (I am not that familiar with the new plastic Rugers and can only vouch for the steel ones). I will say that I think that the Smith and Rugers are more accurate than the Taurus, but the Taurus is plenty accurate for social work.

That being said, I must admit that I was tempted a couple weeks back to sell my Taurus and add $350 to buy a new Smith 642 "Pro Series" snubby. But I instead decided to save some money, buy the Smith and give the Taurus to my granddaughter - and I care a whole lot more about her than I do your friend. You can figure that out. That's my opinion on the subject.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I wouldn't give a Taurus to anyone I actually was concerned about their surviving.

Taurus makes some good guns, and quite a few bad ones. If he's on a budget, waiting for it to get replaced or fixed by Taurus would be even worse, now he's doubly stuck.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
vancelw wrote:A S&W does not cost much more than a Taurus, Charter Arms, etc. and is much more reliable.
My Charter Arms revolvers (five I've owned for 20-25 years) have functioned PERFECTLY; I remain to be convinced that a S&W would somehow be functioning 'better' than they have. :roll:
I don't think a Charter (which I don't have anything at all against) makes one as small and light as the AirWeight. Same with Rossi....Lot's of stout five shots out there, just that most of them are too heavy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Best recommendation I can give is to tell you what I use......I stake my life on them......I carry a Charter Arms 44 spl or my S&W model 36 38 spl with 3" barrel. The extra inch of barrel is unnoticeable during carry but the firearm points so much more naturally. I can honestly say I am twice as accurate in aimed as well as point shooting with the 3" barrel. YMMV

I have in the past used a Taurus 6 shot snubby with a 2.5" barrel and was very pleased with that revolver. Traded it to my BIL 15 years ago and have made attempts off and on to get it back.

The one revolver I would NOT consider at this time is the Armscor copy of the Detective Special. Very disappointed in the one sample I have fired. It was that bad.

One last thought......if your buddy can swing it try and buy a similar size and barrel length 22 lr to what ever 38 spl he buys. It makes for cheap practice, helps get the fairer sex involved in shooting, and what the hell......if one revolver is good, then two is better.

Wm
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

S&W costs vary, too.
A 642 Airweight shoots .38+P and costs $350 to $450 depending on where you find it.
A S&W 340PD Airlite shoots .357 mag and weighs 3 oz less....costs twice as much as the 642.

I own a 340 and love it, but you're not gonna shoot many .357 mag loads out of it. Recoil is brutal. So if .38 is all you're going to shoot, go ahead and save $500 and get the 642 or similar.
I've owned one each of Rossi, Taurus, Charter Arms small frame revolvers...didn't need to learn that lesson twice :roll:
I've never owned a Rossi levergun. Didn't like the looks and feel of them. Spent my money (much more of it) gladly on Winchester and Browning 92s and have never regretted it. If I could afford an original, I would. I'm glad folks that bought Rossis and like them were able to save some bucks. I'm tight, too when I can get away with it.
I have also read of problems with some S&W guns. I've owned several and still own several and haven't had problems with any of them.
Some like the Ruger LCRs...despite their MSRP they seem to cost more around here than Smiths. I've shot one and didn't hate it, but I wasn't impressed. I don't mind a radical design if it functions to suit me and there's a reason for it. (I'll be buying a R51 soon :D ) My friend loves his LCR, but he bought it thinking that S&W was out of his price range when he actually gave more for the LCR.

I still own a pre-79 Model 60 Chief's Special. It's often the gun I grab on a whim on my way out the door. It's probably dispatched more varmints than any gun I own. But it weighs a lot more than my Airlite so the Airlite is what I carry concealed.