OT - Taurus 441 6" in 44 Special.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lrts
Levergunner

OT - Taurus 441 6" in 44 Special.

Post by lrts »

Gentelmen. I need your advice. I am planning to buy a revolver for my wife for her birthday. A friend of mine is offering me a Taurus 441 with 6" barrel in satinless steel in like new condition. I like the caliber and the revolver looks great. I have been thinking for some time now to purchase a firearm for my wife for home use and traget practice. This gun is bigger than what I was looking for but I feel the long barrel will be more controlable for her to shoot. Also if she has to use it at night it will have less flash and bang compared to a snuby 38 SPL +P or light 357 mag loads. The one problem is that it may be quite a bit large for her to carry in her purse :? . Anyway, will thank your opinions on this matter, and also your experience with the Taurus if any one of you has or has had one. I post no pic because I have not been able to find one on the web, nor had the opportunity to photograph the one I am beeing offered.

Thank´s!

lrts.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I owned a Taurus 431, same gun but with fixed sight. It had a 3 inch barrel. I put a few thousand rounds through it. I had no problems of any kind. For home use and just getting aquinted range time I believe it to be an excellent option for your wife.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Like Dr. Walker I have the 431. It's a five shot, 3 inch barrel 44 special. It handles much like a 38, even in recoil with standard or a bit warmer loads. Wish I had it down here. Anyway, they're good guns and that's a good caliber. For home and target practice it's a bit unwieldy (the 6" one you're looking at) but for the stated purposes it'd be fine. If she wants to carry it in a purse it could be done, they make holster purses that would carry one of them I believe. But I'd suggest you get her a shorter barreled version for carry purposes. Oh, just last month I was in the US for a couple weeks. Made it to an indoor range with the 431. Shot a couple boxes through it. It's as nice as I remembered and there's no noticeable muzzle flash out of that 3" barrel nor does it beller and snort. I was shooting 240 gr SWC's over a medium to warm dose of Unique or Universal Clays (maybe both, I've already forgotten)

Another thing, have your wife handle the gun and see what SHE thinks of it. I'm all in favor of letting a woman test drive her own shooting iron rather than saying "This is the one you need." After all, it's for HER.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

The gun is fine, but I really think a 4 inch barrel would be a better choice. Its not easily grasped by the villian. It is faster to get into action. It is much more handy!! Just my .02! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

All good points.

I'd think if her hands are big enough, it would be a
dandy gun for plinkin' when loaded with 44 Special
stuff.

Of course, should she not like it, you might be able to
put it to some good use! 8)
lrts
Levergunner

Post by lrts »

stretch wrote:All good points.

I'd think if her hands are big enough, it would be a
dandy gun for plinkin' when loaded with 44 Special
stuff.

Of course, should she not like it, you might be able to
put it to some good use! 8)
Thats right! Thank you guys for your input. Will post pics as soon as I get it.

Regards:

lrts.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

.44 Special has become my favorite caliber. I recently found a second Rossi 720 and I bought it, because my wife carries the first one I bought. It's a 3" 5-shot K-frame sized stainless gun with adjustable sights and a really nice rubber grip. They also made it with unfluted cylinders, fixed sights, bobbed hammers and wood grips, and I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those fixed sight versions (I didn't buy the only one I saw and I regret it).

I also had a 445 Taurus for a while but it's got a shorter barrel and I didn't like it.

If S&W made this gun, I'd have it. The closest thing they have is the larger L-frame 696 but that's too big and WAY too expensive.

The Rossi is my favorite handgun to shoot.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

You asked so: Things you might ask beforehand

What is her level of experience? Revolvers are simple yes, but autos are easier to shoot accurately.

Would you pack a 6 inch barrel? I ask speaking as a CHL holder, most often carrying a single stack 9mm.

How long would she be able to shoot or even just hold that gun before fatiguing due to weight and recoil? A large caliber miss isn't as fun or effective as a small caliber hit.

Will this be her only gun? Does she have a .22 already?

Do you reload? (inferring: will ammo costs be prohibitive to gain competency with the revolver?)

Will your buddy take it back if she wants something else?

Just my 2 cents,
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic