OT-six shooter problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

OT-six shooter problems

Post by 505stevec »

I just bought a pair of Ruger Vaqueros in .45 Colt. They are used but in decent shape. The rifling apears fine and the lockup seems ok by my layman eye. These guns shoot about 12 inches high at about 10 feet. there is also no tight group but they shoot all over. The ammo used was reloads from the recent gun show in Albuquerque so I have no idea about them. ONe of the things i noticed was spitting lead back at me and the brass was black and they just fell out. I did not have to eject them. I have never owned this type of handgun before but I was thinking I would shoot better. Are the guns trash or was it the ammo? Any thoughts other than that I should ship them to you soonest? :lol: :lol: :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

First slug you cyclinder throats and slug your bore. As to the dirty brass the loads you have may not have enough pressure to create a good seal. I ussualy never have a problem getting brass out of my vaqueros and often they will slide out with noproblems even with heavy loads.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Steve,

First off I'd say without any doubt you got ahold of some CRAPPY ammo.
Set it aside and go buy some Winchester or Remington or Black Hills ammo to test.
The black cases is a sign of under pressured ammo. The spitting could be an out of time condition, but if the guns are otherwise in good shape I'd still say underpowered ammo allowing blow back past the cases.

Move your targets out to 25 yds and shoot from the bench very carefully.

Factory ammo, and a specific known range such as 25 yards will tell you more than 10 feet and gun show reloads.

The previous owners could well have filed down the front sights to sight the guns in for some uber light squib load, so you might still need to send them in.

Personally I'd ship them to Ruger if they do need work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

I would say try some factory ammo before making any decisions. Also, does it look like the front sight has been filed? All the ones I have shot tended to soot low.
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

Ok, looks like I type slower than the rest of you.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

The sights look alraight maybe it is the ammo

Image[/img]
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Steve,

Back in 2001 I acquired a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt, due to the generosity of several people. Along with it came a box of Buffalo Bore ammo, 335 grains at some amazing velocity. I'd not shot a handgun of any type in YEARS. My first results were similar to yours. Not the best. A fine friend gave me a box of Black Hills "Cowboy Loads". Those improved the experience of shooting dramatically. And then I had a box of brass to reload. I'd suggest you pick up a simple reloading setup (a Lee hand press and carbide dies at the very least) and start loading your own ammo. A medium dose of Unique under a 250 grain lead slug should provide your with a reasonably accurate load.

If you CAN, find an accomplished pistol shot and ask them to shoot the Vaqueros for you. A friend of mine was state pistol champ back in the 70's. I asked him to put a cylinder full down range. His groups were about a fourth of mine. Obviously I had operator error. Worked on that flinch and got mine down to more acceptable size.

So, get you some decent ammo. Try shooting from a rest. Put in some practice time. You'd be amazed at what those Vaqueros can do. As for the high groups, it may be your sight picture, it could be the ammo, it could be your hold.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

The front sight blades look low.......were they trimmed by the previous owner? (Which would make the pistol print high)

Some Cowboy shooters will do that to use light loads which print low anyway.

Try some factory loads.......then make a decision. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BHB beat me to it. I'd bet a box of primers those front sights have been filled down.

Compare them to the sights on these two Vaqueros. It doesn't take much to affect the point of impact.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good advice so far. Nothing to add except the "spitting lead back @ me," troubles me more than the sights. Thatts indicative of a chamber/bore alignment issue that is a safety concern. Find, then get youself to the nearest Ruger guru and have him give 'em the once over.

Given the apparent sight adjustments, I'd also bet a prior owner has replaced the springs, which may affect Ruger's stance on warranty; it does for Colt.

Good lucj, maybe soeone betteer versed in Rugers will weigh in.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I may add the loads you are shooting sound crappy.The spitting lead maybe due to a mismatch of(usually oversized) Bullet size to Barrel bore/Cylinder throats.This combined with a softbullet the low pressure can cause the lead spitting.Also most Rugers factory chambered in 45 colt are noted for haveing tight cylinder throats(which can be corrected by reaming).I would check the gun performance with better ammo.Better advice can be found at the Single-Actions forum.Here is the linkhttp://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/index.php
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."