Trailboss for 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Trailboss for 30-30

Post by tcomer »

I've been using 7.2grs of Unique for my light 30-30 loads with the 170gr Laser Cast bullets and I'm getting low on powder. I was wondering about Trailboss as a replacement powder as that would fill the case up more. Would this make for a more accurate load? I'm getting around 4" groups at 50 yards, but a large part of that problem is me. I'm trying to learn to use open sights again on my Win 94 with the Williams peep sights. Is Trailboss a good replacement or should I just stick to Unique?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I like trailboss for handgun low velocity lead bullet loads, but for rifle cartridges I don't care for it at all.
It's burn rate is way to fast for rifle cartridges as near as I can tell. It generates way to much pressure for the velocity given. If you look at IMR's data for the 30-30 it lists 9 grs of tb as max with 150 gr lead bullet, velocity is only a tad over 1100 fps yet the pressure is almost 30k psi, right near the pressure given for full power jacketed loads at 2300 fps.
If you want to try something other than unique, maybe take a look at 15 grs of 2400 with 150's , or 18 grs of 5744 with 170's. Both those loads have worked well in my rifles.
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

check out Greg Mushial's web site. He has done a lot of testing with low velocity loads.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

I have that website bookmarked. Didn't list Trailboss. After Don McDowell"s comment, I may just stick to Unique. It just seems like it takes forever to get the powder fouling out compared to Ramshot's True Blue. I use that in my 357 and 44 mag leverguns.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

tcomer you may want to write/email Ramshot and ask them if they could give you some suggested loads for the trueblue for cast in the 30-30.

You could also bump your charge of unique up to about 9 grs and notice a difference in cleanliness.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have used trail boss in the .30-30, .45-70, .38-55, .45-90, and the .405 with complete success. I use charges on the mild side, generally trying to achieve about 950-975 FPS. In the .30-30 I use a 170gr Bear Creek Supply bullet sized .309 with 6.5grs Trail Boss. Velocity averages 950-975 FPS depending upon the rifle being used with excellent accuracy. This load is very quiet and according to IMR data this load produces approx. 21,000 cup. Very mild. Regards. 1886.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

11 grains of 5744 with a Laser-cast 170 shoots very well in my 94/30-30 26" octagon Legacy. Accurate has this as 11.3 gr on there site as a starting load. 11 grains works for me.

How about 2" group at 200 yards on the bench. :shock:

I shoot this load in CAS long range side matches. At the last month shoot I shot 8 out of 10 hits on a steel buffalo 24" target. 200 yards sitting and using X-sticks.

I have some TB and have wanted to try TB. However my 5744 load shoots so well. Maybe sometime.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have had great results using Trail Boss in the .45-70 and the .444 Marlin with 300-350 cast bullets at 1150 fps or so.
Last weekend I shot some TB in my .308 Marlin Express. 9.0 gr under an RCBS 150 gr. FP bullet goes just about 1100 fps and is quite accurate but as Don McDowell said the pressures are very high for the velocity gained.
That is not allways bad though as the case obturates well and the load shoots very clean. Just dont try to push it up to hunting load velocity. TB is made for low velocity target work and should not be hotroded.

The 2008 Hodgdens annual manual has an article about cowboy cast shooting and the author said that Hodgdens recomends a 70% volume load as a sterting load. Fill the case with TB to the base of the bullet,weigh that charge and use 70% of that weight as your starting charge. This seems to be very close.But work up slowly from that point.
I got some stickey extraction in the .308MX with 10 gr.TB @1150fps.but got a 1" 50 yd group (four of those shots were in less than 1/2").
Take care and have fun.
I shoot IMR 4198 for most of my cast shooting these days.
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

I get flecks of lead with the Lasercast at 7.2grs of Unique. I get leading at 10.5grs of Unique. I don't use gas checks. I think the problem is the bullets I'm using. They are a gas check design. I have the same problem in my 357 and 44 mag leverguns with Lasercast. But nowhere near as bad. That's why I thought a different powder might make a difference. I love the low kick of this load. Wife loves it too. It's a fun load to shoot at pop bottles. But I've gotta admit, I shoot a lot more of these loads than I do the full power ones. It's just plain fun.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

When I use Trail Boss I am not looking for high velocicity but rather I am searching for a mild load with good load density that delivers good accuracy. I think this mild load/ good load density was the objective of the Trail Boss developers. In order to reach this goal a bullet that will obturate at mild pressures is necessary. Bear Creeek Supply bullets really shine in this role. Happy plinking. 1886.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think Trailboss is a great idea, but I haven't used it yet. It's a pretty fast powder. I got flecks of lead using 2400 (10gr) and I might try something slower if that continues. I used sr 4759 for 30-30 and it's about the slowest of the pistol powders, and it fills the case, it has pretty large volume for its weight. I might go back to trying it for .357 if the faster powders give me leading. I did one test where I nearly filled the case, and accuracy wasn't that good. But it was very good in 30-30.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."