What Does This Screw Do?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
StephanieB
Levergunner

What Does This Screw Do?

Post by StephanieB »

On a Winchester 94AE:
win-94ae receiver.JPG
The manual doesn't mention it. It doesn't seem to hold anything together, at least, not that I can see. It just goes into the side of the receiver.

Anyone know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What Does This Screw Do?

Post by pwl44m »

Remove that to drive out the bolt Pin from the opposite side. It's weird that the dissasembly instructions didn't cover that.
Perry
BTW Welcome if it hasn't been done. Another Gurl, but watch what U open. !
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, there is a small hole on the other side that lines up with it. The small hole is to push the lever pin out that holds the lever into the bolt.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

StephanieB,

That screw is just a plug. It is called a "lever pin stop screw", and it keeps the "finger lever pin" from coming out of the receiver. Junior's disassembly instructions show what it does:

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm
This close up of a portion of the above photo shows the side of the receiver. The 4 screws we will remove are numbered in the order in which we will remove them. They are:

1. "Link/Hammer Screw" ($1.80)
2. "Finger Lever Pin Stop Screw" ($2.61)
3. "Link/Hammer Screw" ($1.80) [same screw as above]
4. "Carrier Screw" ($2.59)

I labeled the next image, to show the relationship of the parts in question (RED dots show where the pin goes):

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
StephanieB
Levergunner

Post by StephanieB »

Oho! Thanks, everyone?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, occasionally a Winchester 94 will be found with the stop screw missing - sometimes because it's lost/discarded, but often because the threaded hole was used in conjunction with the two small peep sight prep holes on that side of the receiver (near the rear) to secure a side-mounted scope mount base. (aka: a "no gunsmithing" mount)