Printer Ink Catridges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Printer Ink Catridges

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I am tired of buying expensive ink catridges, for my printer. I have browsed eBay, and I am trying to figure out what I should do. I am looking at buying some refillable cartridges, and I don't want a contiuous ink (external tanks) system. My printer is an Epson Workforce 520, and the ink cartridges are the #125 (2 black; 1 magenta; 1 yellow; one cyan). These cartidges have those stupid timer & ink level chips, too. Can any of you recommend which refillable replacements that I should get? ...and which ink & chips that I should look for?

Thanks,
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Printer Ink Catridges

Post by Shasta »

I've been refilling my own ink cartridges for years with good success for the most part. Every once in a while my printer will refuse to recognize an ink cartridge, especially if I have already refilled it several times. Sometimes it's just a matter of removing the offending cartridge and waiting a half hour before trying it again. Often it will be accepted then.

To your original question, Ebay is your best bet. You will need a full set of refillable cartridges (they say not to mix regular cartridges and refillable ones) such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261054778974?ss ... 1438.l2649

The cartridges will reset after each filling and will last quite a while.

You will need some ink also. I prefer to inject the ink using a syringe & needle, such as is supplied here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130574161008?ss ... 1438.l2649

Be sure to quickly and thoroughly rinse out the syringe and needle with water after each use so the ink doesn't dry in it. Keep a tissue or paper towel handy when refilling, and do it over the kitchen sink. That ink really stains if you get it on you, the floor, or furniture! Wearing thin rubber gloves helps to keep the hands free of stains. Don't trust the little plastic ink bottles to stand by themselves, use a small glass or something so they can't tip over.

Good Luck!!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I just refill my HP ink cartridges myself with printer ink set I bought on eBay.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I've had great luck with these people http://www.inkproducts.com/

We had an Epson C84 that we flat wore out with continual refilling.

Note, Epson is one of the bigger pains-in-the-a** companies - you have to get a reset module to toggle the cartridge so the printer will recognize it again and the ink filling is less then user frientdly

I still have some ink, hypos the reset module and other odds 'n ends, if you can use them PM me and we'll see what we can arrange, I just want shipping paid for.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We get out HP cartridges refilled at Sam's Club for @ $7.
Don't know if they all do that.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rolf
Levergunner

Post by Rolf »

Recently I found Inkjetkiosk.com.au offer inkjets of Brother, Canon, Dell, Epson, Fuji-Xerox, HP, Lexmark, Samsung and Sharp, both genuine and compatible. Free shipping is also available with orders over AUD$69.
And I am buy canon ink cartridges only at $4.95.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Thanks, gents.

I decicded to get my stuff through eBay. I bought 5 cartridges (clear, refillable w/ auto-reset chips; 2 black, plus 1 each of red, yellow, and blue), plus 5 bottles of ink (with syringes), at a total cost of under U.S.$34.00.

wecsoger,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks, again,
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My advice----------------------

Screw the color printers.
Go with a monochrome laser printer.
Sure it only prints black(so)??? The frigin thing will usually print for a year without a toner refill and when that time comes when you really need something printed,isn't that the time(even if it was a nice rich black text etc. that would be sweet,instead "out of ink")saying get out your wallet.

I am waiting for my brother to tell me what his is---------------think it cost him around $100(give or take)and prints over 3000 pages of full page text.He gets his refills from some online reputable place for half price(around $30)and it (the single one)last him about a year. and he/wife/ prints a lot of stuff out.

Once a year for $30-----------------------and always have INK------------------color(I can do without)
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

there is fairly cheap color laser printers now too that could work for you. if you HAD to have color.

THen once you add scanner and what nto the prices start to go up.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I agree with madman, just buy a laser printer, whether it be color or B&W. Less hassle in the longrun and you'll have better quality copies at less cost, and recommend from experience Ricoh brand.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Try Ink Farm for recycled cartridges - I've had good luck with them.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Been refilling mine for 20 years. Go to local farm supply store and get some syringes with hypodermic needles, one for each color. Make it easy to withdraw ink from bulk container and inject in used cartridge. You will probably get some on your fingers so if you are squeamish you might want to wear surgical type gloves. I just wash my hands good when I am finished. By the time an old printer has worn out or become obsolete I have saved enough to buy a new one.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Hagler wrote: I decicded to get my stuff through eBay. I bought 5 cartridges (clear, refillable w/ auto-reset chips; 2 black, plus 1 each of red, yellow, and blue), plus 5 bottles of ink (with syringes), at a total cost of under U.S.$34.00.
Ladies & gentlemen,

I received all of the ink & refillable cartridges, that I ordered, and everything is working quite well. The cartridges do not have any sponges in them, so they hold about twice the amount of ink that the factory-supplied cartridges hold. I have printed several things, in past week, and they all are beautiful. Thanks, again, for all of the advice.

Shawn
ImageImage