Vertical wall mount gunrack

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gvthnks
Levergunner

Vertical wall mount gunrack

Post by gvthnks »

Hey guys. Been thinking about building a wall mounted gun rack for a couple years. I want to build something like in the pics below. My plan involves using wood and hardware from an old family barn that was built in the 40s. I don't normally display guns for security reasons, but there are times when I'd like to. When I'm not displaying guns, my plan is that the backboard of this will be solid and used to display family hunting and shooting pics.

Does anyone have any pics of something they've done similar? I plan on using sliding drawers below the rack where this one has an open shelf and maybe a couple short dowels on each side to hang a gunbelt from. Other than that, this is very close. Just looking for other ideas. Thanks guys.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Vertical wall mount gunrack

Post by AJMD429 »

A rack like that would be nice for when you invite folks you don't know all that well over to shoot, so you don't have to get into the actual gun-safe at that time; the only guns seen are the ones needing to be seen on that particular day.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Looks pretty simple.
I'd certainly add a "safety cable" of the coated type, which can be quickly threaded through the trigger guards, etc.and padlocked, when you must leave the room for a break or such. To that end, a stout 4x4 base or heavy plywood back would be an advantage for the cable validity.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Haven't done it yet but when the final phase of the basement gets finished I'll be making one like in your picture that holds about 6 guns. Then when guest are over i can take some out of the safe and put in it for conversation pieces.
cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

Leave enough clearance between the back of the upper barrel slot and the wall or upper mounting board you are mounting it on to accomodate the largest sight on your rifles. If you leave just enough room to handle iron sights and then decide to display a rifle with a scope you will need to build stand offs and remount the rack later on. You can probably figure how I came to know this. The horizontal distance between the back of the upper barrel slot and the front of the stock slot should match the largest distance from the top of the barrel (extended) to the toe of the stock on any of the rifles you are going to display. On the one I built, these distances were 3-1/2 inches and 7 inches.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.