Maple Stock?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

Maple Stock?

Post by Kismet »

My brother in-law has a wood shop in Maine where he has access to beautiful bird's eye maple. I know that stocks are traditionally walnut, but is there any reason I couldn't find a nice piece of maple and make a new stock for my BLR? I figure it could be a fun project to just get a piece and start working it.

Any thoughts, tricks, tips?

Thanks, Michael in NH
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Maple is actually a much better stock wood than walnut. Most original muzzleloaders, and most good reproduction muzzleloaders are stocked in maple.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Remington actually put out a Model 700 with a maple stock.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Curly maple would be a real nice stock for the BLR.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here is a custom stocked 870 slug gun in Birdseye Maple that I made for the customer pictured. I liked it so much I have a matching one on my own 870. You should try one for the BLR is you can.

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

The light color gives it a nice twist also. Does anyone know who will make a stock for a BLR ?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love Maple!! :D
The above blank will make a nice stock for one of my levers!! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I once picked up a 1903 Springfield from a gunshop for a song, that no one wanted because it had been custom stocked in a light blond curly maple, and finished without the finish shaping being done. It had at least one birthday, on that shop's rack.

It still had all the extra wood, in all the right places, so I detail shaped it, changed a few angles & ditched the Monte Carlo comb - then stained it with a dark stain, before finishing with a satin Tru-Oil.
Boy - Did it ever become an eye popper ! Most observers couldn't believe it was Maple.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I really like maple, beautiful wood and darn hard.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you should save all the curly maple for violins.

I have a piece at home that I used to make a banjo, I've still got a pretty big piece if my mother hasn't thrown it out. My brother-in-law used a piece to make a gun forearm.

Great stuff. It's very hard, I often got smoking drill bits and such. It also can warp and cracks can open up if it's not well seasoned.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Do it, Maple makes a GREAT looking stock. I am shopping online for my welcome home gift of a high end flintlock with a maple stock!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you can read thought the Foxfire Book I think it's #5, that deals with flintlock rifle makin. They give you a pretty good detailed account on how the old time gunsmiths finished maple gunstocks.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

If I had a choice Hawaiian Koa would be first but a tiger-stripe maple would be a close second with walnut 3rd.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I had a Remington factory maple stocked 541 once. It had a very nice looking stock.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Chuck 100 yd, that is BEAUTIFUL
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Not a thing wrong with maple, its just been "out of style". Back in the late '50's into the early '70's, maple was THE stock wood, especially for the California/Weatherby, rollover cheek piece styles.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Some of the early Colt Lightnings and turn-of-the-century Winchesters were special ordered with maple. I have seen 'em and while beautiful, well, the old saying holds true--"beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If you like it, why care what others may think---go for it--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

88 man
Levergunner

Post by 88 man »

Most gun stock makers have a pattered stock and will take your pc of wood and make you a new stock that still needs some final fitting.Just email the maker and I know you'll get the stock & forend made.I've been told this many times but just never found the right pc of wood.