1886 Miroku PG lever and gunstock wood

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

1886 Miroku PG lever and gunstock wood

Post by Mike D. »

My pistol grip finger lever arrived today, but I still haven't found a source for nice wood to adapt to the gun. As it turns out, after discussion with George Peterson of Treebone Carving, that his wood will not adapt to the Miroku tang. It is evident that too much wood would have to be removed to make the fit, leading to serious cracking issues.

Now I am back to square one with the buttstock. Precision also does not have the proper stocks on hand. The only set they have is 4X that I can't afford, and don't want to use for a huntin' gun. Any of y'all have any suggestions?

:?
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Mike,

Have you checked with Western Gun Parts? I think they have wood for some of the Miroku's.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I got the lever from them, but they have no on-line catalogue or any way to see the parts available. Winchester wants nearly as much as I paid for the rifle when new. :shock:
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered a part for my 53 Browning from them. And I also ordered their catalog. When it arrives, I'll see if they list 86 pg wood.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Thanks, Red, I appreciate your help.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

You might try Winchester. They are making the 1886 Deluxe TD (Davidson's) with the pistol grip stock.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Another thought...

Post by John in MS »

You might give Doug Turnbull a call. They take Browning 71 stocks (made by Miroku) off of rifles they are customizing and may well have one in good shape they could sell.

Hope this helps,
John
jody
Levergunner

86 pistol grip

Post by jody »

sorry to hijack this thread, you mean I can take a lower tang
off of my browning 71 and put it on win/miroku 86
thanks jody
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: 86 pistol grip

Post by Mike D. »

jody wrote:sorry to hijack this thread, you mean I can take a lower tang
off of my browning 71 and put it on win/miroku 86
thanks jody
Sure enough, most parts are interchangeable. I want a PG, SHOTGUN butt, not a crescent butt like is available from Winchester. I gotta work on this a little to find one.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Mike,

I just received the catalog from Western. Unfortunately, it is a reference manual, not a true catalog as it lists neither prices nor parts availability. Nonetheless, it will be useful as a reference.

They list pg buttstocks for the Miroku/Winchester, but I realize you want a shotgun butt. I'd like to think the M 71 buttstock will fit, but I don't know. You might have to inlet for a longer tang on the 86 if Browning modeled their gun on the short tang 71's.

With Western your only option would be to phone them and see if they know what will fit. If you need part numbers, let me know. Good luck, and if I think of any other source, I'll shoot you a line.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

What I MIGHT do is buy the crescent style 1886 buttstock, then cut it into a Shotgun butt and add a recoil pad. The wheels are turning.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Mike,

That sounds like a good plan.

Buttstock Grade 1 Pistol Grip -- U34868501
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Cimarron Red wrote:Mike,

That sounds like a good plan.

Buttstock Grade 1 Pistol Grip -- U34868501
Red, the * before the part number indicates sold only to "qualified" gunsmiths. I'm gonna try WGP in the morning.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike D. -

Sounds like an interesting project. Did you take some "before pictures" to post with your "after" ones - which we KNOW are coming (please!) :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Ysabel Kid, this "transformation" has been slowly chronicled on this site for the past year and will continue to do so.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike D. -

I remember now... but you made me miss the old site even more!!! :cry:
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, Mike,

The asterisk also appears before the part number on the finger lever you just received. I don't believe Western adhere's to that particular policy too stringently.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There is an outfit called Great American Gunstock Co that is only 30 miles from me, but I have heard that they have a somewhat lousy reputation. I don't know, guess I'll stop in there and have a look at what they have.