Bought 2,000 rnds of CCI Shorts...better than nothing... :)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Bought 2,000 rnds of CCI Shorts...better than nothing... :)

Post by 1894c »

I recently bought 1,000 rnds of CCi CB Shorts (approx.710 fps) and 1,000 rnds of CCI Target Shorts (approx. 830 fps)...never ever heard of a target short in my life. I paid $9.00 per 100, not cheap, but will help me maintain my current 22LR stash--there was no limit to amount, not sure why, but then many more own auto-22's than levergun or bolt. all of my .22's can shoot shorts...life is good...if you're a "short"... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bought 2,000 rnds of CCI Shorts...better than nothing...

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Dems are nice rounds. If you were closer I could trade you for 22LR's. You will like them, unless your shooting at 100 yards or moe all the time. :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I shoot a lot of those. I live just inside the city limits and have to be careful.
Going to work on the suppressor thing.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When I was really young, like 50 years ago, we only shot shorts for everything including groundhogs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:When I was really young, like 50 years ago, we only shot shorts for everything including groundhogs.
In prehistoric times, the shorts were cheapest followed by longs and long rifles....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Yea bout 50 years ago, you could buy Canucks, coast to coast or Imperial shorts
for 25 - 30 cents a box, theyed knock a squill right outta the tree

ollogger
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I picked up 2 bricks of 22lr today. Dealer had a whole case of them. Those you got are very nice rounds and will certainly do the job. The target rounds are used in rapid fire pistol matches in bullseye shooting. I got these just to have fodder for my 10/22.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:
Hobie wrote:When I was really young, like 50 years ago, we only shot shorts for everything including groundhogs.
In prehistoric times, the shorts were cheapest followed by longs and long rifles....
Hey BlaineG...i found my "shorts" at Kesselring's, not sure how many they have...I bet you'll be able to find them down in your part of this State too....i'm hoping this is the beginning of the end of the .22-cal drought... :)
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I use those CB shorts to pop squirrels that try to get into my attic. Out of my Marlin 39A they are very quiet. It is best to shoot them twice I have learned.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Saw Shorts at the Walmart in Ga near my inlaws twelve days ago. I picked up four fifty round boxes up in Calgary last week my Winchester 1906's love em. Also grabbed a Tube fed Bolt action Ranger from the mid 60's last week because it will shoot Long Rifle, Long's or Shorts. I paid 100.00 for the rifle and $3.59 a box of 50 for the 22 Shorts.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My Aunt's Remington .22 semi auto will shoot short ,long & L.R.
It was willed to me.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

In my M39 Marlin a standard velocity short is so quiet you can hear the hammer fall.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Rusty wrote:In my M39 Marlin a standard velocity short is so quiet you can hear the hammer fall.
I am sure I have a box of shorts somewhere, must dig them out and try them in my 39A, if really quiet I could use them on backyard pests :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

rjohns94, do I understand you to say that they will function in
and cycle a Ruger 10/22?

If so I'll have to look out for some.....

-Stretch
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Searched the ammo safe and found a box of the CCI CB shorts and a box of Remington high velocity shorts, I am going to try them in the 39A at the club tonight :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Those CB's are a blast. About as loud as an air rifle, when shot out of a rifle.------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

30wcf,

Those are both very accurate rounds. Pretty quiet too if you're using a long barrel.

So, having now paid what this old guy (who is used to the older prices) considers a huge price for some 22s, has this become a learning experience? Or did you just happen to get caught short (pun intended)?

When this last craziness started I thought I was in pretty good shape. Then I started loading some 9mms and discovered that all of my stash of small pistol primers were Winchester and they were all a bit too small for the brass I had. They probably would have worked but they were way looser than I liked.

I lucked out and found 5,000 Tula small rifle primers though and they worked out fine.

Just when you think you got it covered!

Cat
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Dave wrote:I use those CB shorts to pop squirrels that try to get into my attic. Out of my Marlin 39A they are very quiet. It is best to shoot them twice I have learned.
File the nose flat. Knocks 'em down more better.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Catshooter wrote:
30wcf, So, having now paid what this old guy (who is used to the older prices) considers a huge price for some 22s, has this become a learning experience? Or did you just happen to get caught short (pun intended)?
CATSHOOTER-- wasn't happy with the price (could have been worse), but was thrilled to find something that would help extend my stash of .22LR...i go shooting every Friday with a buddy and at this juncture the "CCI SHORTS" are great (bought another 500 today)...my Henry H001 holds 21 rnds of shorts, that's a long run with a short round...never shot many shorts before, but actually enjoy them... :)

HOBIE-- thanks for the tip...never thought of that, except reading about Paco's .22 device...hmmmmmm....
01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

I think a lot of us have rediscovered 22 Shorts with this recent ammo shortage. I load up my BL-22 and head back behind the house and have a blast with some spinner targets.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

30wcf wrote:
Catshooter wrote:
30wcf, So, having now paid what this old guy (who is used to the older prices) considers a huge price for some 22s, has this become a learning experience? Or did you just happen to get caught short (pun intended)?
CATSHOOTER-- wasn't happy with the price (could have been worse), but was thrilled to find something that would help extend my stash of .22LR...i go shooting every Friday with a buddy and at this juncture the "CCI SHORTS" are great (bought another 500 today)...my Henry H001 holds 21 rnds of shorts, that's a long run with a short round...never shot many shorts before, but actually enjoy them... :)

HOBIE-- thanks for the tip...never thought of that, except reading about Paco's .22 device...hmmmmmm....
01.jpg
Just not the same without the slippers :P
1894c

Post by 1894c »

casastahle wrote:
30wcf wrote:
Catshooter wrote:

01.jpg
Just not the same without the slippers :P
just taking us to a logical societal decline...doing my part... :)
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Rusty wrote:In my M39 Marlin a standard velocity short is so quiet you can hear the hammer fall.
Tried the CCI CB shorts at the club last night, what a hoot to shoot!! As Rusty says you can hear the hammer fall :D :D
Pete
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I've fed shorts to my long-barrelled Walther Sport Model single-shot and it was no louder than an air rifle.

Fine stuff indeed.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Stretch, no the CBs won't function in the 10/22. I shoot subsonic s in my 10/22. My post was saying I found two bricks of 22lr to use as fodder in my 10/22 I use the CBs in my other 22s
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

stretch wrote:rjohns94, do I understand you to say that they will function in
and cycle a Ruger 10/22?

If so I'll have to look out for some.....

-Stretch
rjohns already answered but if you really want to shoot shorts in a 10/22, Volquartsen has (or at least used to have) a 10/22 conversion kit that includes a new bolt. I wanted one off and on for a couple of years but never could find anyone who'd actually used one.

EDIT: They still do...http://www.midwayusa.com/product/355152 ... uger-10-22

Dang. And I know where I can pick up a used 10/22 for $200.... :roll: :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

I lucked in to one box of these sitting on the shelf at Bi'Mart last night. Maybe its comming back?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Got some Aguila 22 'Colibri' loads for probably the same reason - wholesalers are sold out of regular 22LR's, so are moving whatever inventory the local stores are willing to take. Many of the 'non-gun-shop' type local stores are probably just ordering ANYTHING they can get; I think sometimes they are unaware of the differences.

The light-hitters are sometimes fun and better for use in barns or wherever for pest control.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Hey - thanks for the answers, gentlemen.

Of course now I've got to get another 10/22
to put the conversion kit in, eh? :lol:

-Stretch
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Yup, grew up with .22 shorts in a little Remington (?) single shot that I wish I still had. Great for rats around the ranch/farm. We used to supply rabbits to a mink farm for feed. The mink farm paid 50 cents for cottontails and 75 cents for big jacks. I can remember many a time when we would harvest 50-100 rabbits on a weekend. We could hunt year round because there was no season, especially when hunting for mink food. When we had a good pay day we would buy LR's at 70 cents for 50, longs for 60 cents and shorts went for 50 cents. Only problem was the big jack rabbits didn't always go down easily with the shorts. It was a big deal when we bought a full 500 rnd brick of LR's for the huge sum of $5. Now that I'm a dinosaur and more than 50 years have gone by, I realize what a good deal we had that we took for granted.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.