Remington 722 Triple Deuce...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Remington 722 Triple Deuce...

Post by cshold »

Decisions, decisions
Opportunity knocks to purchase a mid-50’s Remington 722 triple deuce (222 rem.)
I don’t really do much varmint hunting to even speak of. Common sense would be
to pass on it. But it sure is sharp looking, and that causes common sense to take
a back seat at times.
Any of you guys have a Rem. 722?
Opinions also on the .222 Rem. I never owned one.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington 722 Triple Deuce...

Post by Pete44ru »

I had a Sako L-46 in .222, and it was a nice shooter - but today, of course, is a handloading proposition, since AFAIK the ammo's been long discontinued by the major ammo companies.

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I have a Win 70 SA in 222 Rem. It is better than I can hold. I also have a 6 mm PPC which shots just a bit better than the 222. Cheap to shoot and easy to load.
Pierre
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I had a Sako L-46 in .222, and it was a nice shooter - but today, of course, is a handloading proposition, since AFAIK the ammo's been long discontinued by the major ammo companies.

No factory ammo. for the 222?
I don't reload so that puts a light of another color on this potential deal. :|
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:...AFAIK the ammo's been long discontinued by the major ammo companies.
I buy a box now and then just to get a bit more brass - I only have maybe 60 pieces since my only gun is a 10" Contender pistol barrel (I just wanted another frame but the barrel came with). Nice shooter out of the Contender, and way better to try to shoot accurately with than the 14" 223 barrel I have, as the muzzle blast is significantly less. Probably not an issue with a rifle though (i.e. a 223 might be more practical), but "back in the day" all the benchrest crowd loved the 222's.

My son is using (thinks it's "his") my Remington 788, and it is a sweet gun, well built and awesome trigger pull and lock-time makes it very accurate. Magazines not great, but functional. Dunno how the 722 relates design-wise, but I thought they were similar.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2LT Van Cott
Levergunner

Post by 2LT Van Cott »

There IS factory ammo for the .222 but like all ammo at this time it might be difficult to find.

Hornady
Federal
Winchester
Your obedient servant,

Lieu't Van Cott
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic little round, miles of smiles with a trip2.

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

2LT Van Cott wrote:There IS factory ammo for the .222 but like all ammo at this time it might be difficult to find.

Hornady
Federal
Winchester
aww yes!

Thanks LT :D
Gunnin'Wreck

Post by Gunnin'Wreck »

casastahle wrote:

Where did you get the idea that they are no longer loading 222 Remington ammunition? Just to make sure, I checked the Remington website, and they list it.
As far as the 222 is concerned, I have shot a few belonging to others, but I have never owned one. Consequently, I don't feel qualified to offer you any advice, but lack of factory ammunition should not be one of your concerns (at least not more than any other round).
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

AJMD429 wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:...AFAIK the ammo's been long discontinued by the major ammo companies.
I buy a box now and then just to get a bit more brass - I only have maybe 60 pieces since my only gun is a 10" Contender pistol barrel (I just wanted another frame but the barrel came with). Nice shooter out of the Contender, and way better to try to shoot accurately with than the 14" 223 barrel I have, as the muzzle blast is significantly less. Probably not an issue with a rifle though (i.e. a 223 might be more practical), but "back in the day" all the benchrest crowd loved the 222's.

My son is using (thinks it's "his") my Remington 788, and it is a sweet gun, well built and awesome trigger pull and lock-time makes it very accurate. Magazines not great, but functional. Dunno how the 722 relates design-wise, but I thought they were similar.
Yes, AJMD429 you’re absolutely spot-on. (doing a little research here.)
The .222 was the holy grail of bench rest back in the 60’s & 70’s. 8)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a rifle exactly as you describe , it will have to be pried out of my cold dead fingers. If it has a good bore I would not hesitate if the price is within reason.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a Sako .222 Rem since I was about 16. It's one of those rifles that if I can see it I can hit it. Best ever shot was
435 paces from my back deck to a woodchuck missing most of it's head. Like Mr. York said, someone will have to pry it from cold, dead hands. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a 722 in 222 my grandfather bought new in 1958 and it will still keep three under a half inch at 100 yards from the bench !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

My uncle in PA has that rifle, about the same age. I can't begin to tell you how many woodchucks and yes...PA white tail deer it has killed. Very smooth rifle and accurate. The brass will last 12+ loadings since it is so mild until the neck cracks. If you don't grab it, let me know!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As my first visible official act as a moderator/instigator - I am directing you to get it. That is what moderators are supposed to do --- isn't it???? :) :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

LOL Fred :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As my first visible official act as a moderator/instigator - I am directing you to get it. That is what moderators are supposed to do --- isn't it???? :) :wink:
Now thats doing your job with pride...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

dkmlever wrote:My uncle in PA has that rifle, about the same age. I can't begin to tell you how many woodchucks and yes...PA white tail deer it has killed. Very smooth rifle and accurate. The brass will last 12+ loadings since it is so mild until the neck cracks. If you don't grab it, let me know!
Ya, I was going to ask about the use of it on Deer. I was a little
apprehensive of doing so after all that dust kicking back & forth
over the use of the .243 versus the .308 thread. :P
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

.222 might be my favorite rifle cartridge.

.222 ammo is "expensive" in most people's eyes because they compare it to the much more common and much cheaper .223
Slow is just slow.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:
dkmlever wrote:My uncle in PA has that rifle, about the same age. I can't begin to tell you how many woodchucks and yes...PA white tail deer it has killed. Very smooth rifle and accurate. The brass will last 12+ loadings since it is so mild until the neck cracks. If you don't grab it, let me know!
Ya, I was going to ask about the use of it on Deer. I was a little
apprehensive of doing so after all that dust kicking back & forth
over the use of the .243 versus the .308 thread. :P

I know an older fellow that lives in Wayne County PA that sometimes uses and old Remington 600 in 222 for deer !
He uses the plain old Remington factory load with a 50 grain I think CoreLokt bullet . Anyway I saw two big bucks in as many years he killed with that little rifle shooting them right behind the shoulder as I would with say a 260 REM or 7mm REM MAG !

The little 722 222 I have now I saw my grandfather shoot a big bodied ,wide heavy racked 6 pointer at 100 stepped off yards with one shot to the deers temple and he was as the saying goes "Dead Right There" . I still have the rack from that deer as well , was killed in 1970 I believe .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You know what the whole p...i...s...s...i...n...g match about what caliber etc . Thats ALL B...S . There isn't a centerfire cartridge made that someone hasn't most likely killed a deer with !

Granted a good many are better for it then others .

It's kinda like the guy that says "I never wounded or lost a deer !" . That guy is either a F...ing liar or he hasn't shot at many deer .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mod71Alaska has one and he generously allowed me to shoot it and its a tack driver. Literally. At 50 yards three shot group was one very small hole. Very kewl and very awesome.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Gunnin'Wreck wrote:
casastahle wrote:

Where did you get the idea that they are no longer loading 222 Remington ammunition? Just to make sure, I checked the Remington website, and they list it.
As far as the 222 is concerned, I have shot a few belonging to others, but I have never owned one. Consequently, I don't feel qualified to offer you any advice, but lack of factory ammunition should not be one of your concerns (at least not more than any other round).
Because, despite several very well-stocked gunshops in my area, I haven't seen anything except some 60's-vintage NOS for sale, nor @ New England gunshows.

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Well my uncle waits very paitently for a neck shot, that is all he ever takes and passes more deer up than most shoot. He knows and fully understands the limitations of that caliber for deer. He was bumbed out when I had him out for a Wy antleope hunt and the state has a minimum restriction ( then) of .24.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

dkmlever wrote:Well my uncle waits very paitently for a neck shot, that is all he ever takes and passes more deer up than most shoot. He knows and fully understands the limitations of that caliber for deer. He was bumbed out when I had him out for a Wy antleope hunt and the state has a minimum restriction ( then) of .24.
Much respect for the way your uncle hunts. :)
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

As you stated you do not reload this will be of no use to you.

As an experiment, years ago I reformed some surplus 223 stuff that was laying around gathering dust. After trimming the necks and determining the interior capacity of the cases. I reloaded with a mid power load and fired a good group.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

A friend of mine, gone for some years, had a 722 in 222 Remington. He reloaded for it extensively. Had a commercial machine to make his own bullets. Traveled to Montana every spring for many years to hunt prairie dogs, ground squirrels, etc.. He kept record of how many time it had been shot. Re-barreled it after 16,000 rounds because the accuracy began to "fade a bit". This bit of information led me to purchase a 222 in a 788 because the 722's were long out of production. If the firearm is still available and in reasonable shape I'd jump on it like a duck on a June Bug.
Happy Trails!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well that was easy, no decision has to be made.
Seller (friend) decided to hang on to the 722.
A wise decission on his part.

BUT I NOW WANT A .222 :roll:
it never ends :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why do you think JReed and I own Stevens .223 bolt rifles?
Very useful critters.