.44 Special flattop (Update)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

.44 Special flattop (Update)

Post by olyinaz »

Long story short - we finally got our old place sold after moving last December. We hadn't moved in 16 years and the last several months have been an unpleasant ride from a stress and rattled-cage standpoint (I was pretty dug in at the last place and very comfortable). Owning two places on a one place income wasn't great either. :shock: But sold it yesterday we did! And since we'd owned it for so long we cleared a nice chunk of change, so to blow off some steam today I set aside all of the work and projects at the new hacienda and hit the gun shop to pick up a .44 Special flattop that has been calling to me for some time if it was still there. And it was but what's this? A Marlin Cowboy in .44-40? Egads! Now I'm torn! Well, this isn't one of those stories where the guy says, "So to heck with it - I bought both!" I had funds for one gun, and while I want a lever gun in .44-40 to go with my Remington 1890, I think I want it in a Winchester 1873. So the Ruger came home with me. :D

I've been spending all of my time at home on the hacienda, land scaping, getting my gun shop set up, a new shed built, getting the new place squared away etc., so I haven't been to the range in months I'm ashamed to admit. And it showed! :? The fresh Ruger wasn't helping much with a long and gritty (but at least heavy...) trigger pull, but my shooting was just terrible. Every group went pretty much like the one below - at least one flyer. It was maddening. But I have to say that .44 Special out of a Bisley is just sublime. It's PERFECT! My goodness, what I've been missing. As much as I like .45 Colt, it can be a handful. The Special seems to inhabit that perfect middle ground where recoil is completely non-bothersome, and unlike the .357 magnum the report is very nice. A big bore low pressure boom instead of the harsh crack of the .357. At least with the full house 200gr JHP loads I was shooting (it's what they had, I'm not yet loading for it).

At just over ten yards, maybe 40 feet, the Ruger seemed to want to shoot like a laser were it not for the shooter and the outstanding trigger (sarcasm alert). The balance on a Bisley of this barrel length is, in my view, perfect. They did have a 4 & 3/8ths version in the case as well, and while it looked a bit more sexy, I'm glad I got this longer barrel as this is meant to be a plinker and I'll shoot it better than the shorter gun.

So that's my report! What do you think? Is she a looker? I even found a pound of Clays and a 500 box of 180gr cast bullets today to go with it. Any good loads to recommend with that powder?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by olyinaz on Sun May 05, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: .44 Special flattop

Post by Dave »

Very nice gun! Don't feel bad about that flyer. It seems every box of shells has at least one round that does that. :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice looking pistol. Great cartridge. Congrats on selling the old homestead. Good luck in your new home.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oly,

Not too shabby, not to shabby at all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like it! very nice shooter....congrats
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very nice, BUT................ I kin hear it callin'........... for a set of Elkhorn stag grips from Sack Peterson ! . :mrgreen:

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Oly, very nice - great report and good luck with the new 'stead!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Pete44ru wrote:Very nice, BUT................ I kin hear it callin'........... for a set of Elkhorn stag grips from Sack Peterson ! . :mrgreen:
You said it! That is exactly what it needs. :wink:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .44 Special flattop (Update)

Post by olyinaz »

Added a set of Hogue ivories. Even got lucky and the fit was excellent - required only the smallest bit of fitting. Looks proper now. :D

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have one of those on order now. Nice gun.
The one I am getting has a non-fluted cylinder and 5 1/2" barrel.

SWEET !! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice. Looks like a keeper!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot