gun kit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

gun kit

Post by bakamorgan »

I recently had a friend built him self an AR-15. Which shoots nice and only took him a couple months due to his work schedule.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other guns that could be built just by ordering the parts or maybe a kit. Figured it would be a fun project to attempt sometime in the future. also hoping not to blow my face off lol.

Hopefully start off with ones that require little gun smithing skill and working my way up.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: gun kit

Post by Mich Hunter »

It doesn't take much at all to build an AR with minimum specialty tools. You can't really screw up with exception of the tightness of the barrel. AK's, FAL's, M1A' etc can be built at home with ease. The problem is finding quality kits to do. Cheap AK and FAL kits dried up long ago.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

The AR is a good kit to build, because normally a lot of parts are available, being newly made in the US. At the moment production is likely still way behind demand.

There are a couple of good forums that deal with building, the best probably being weaponsguild.com (you have to register to view it).

A lot of the imported kits have dried up by now, there being a limited number of surplus rifles to be demilled and shipped here. I think also that the .gov caught on that their import restrictions on military rifles didn't work out quite like they hoped. By restricting the import of surplus guns, they basically created a booming cottage industry of guys building guns in their garages - a gun grabber's nightmare (no wonder Big O's hair is getting grey :lol: )

On the other hand they also started restricting the importation of some crucial parts like barrels. But when ever there is a demand, someone will figure out a way to fill it, and a lot of barrels for imported milsurp kits are now made here in the US. Trouble with all this, is that costs go up. Building a kit gets more and more expensive as this sort of thing continues.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have all the parts for a French MAS 49/56.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Mescalero wrote:I have all the parts for a French MAS 49/56.
I hear them French guns are good guns, HARDLY EVER USED AND ONLY DROPPED ONCE! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

bakamorgan wrote:...
I was wondering if anyone knew of any other guns that could be built just by ordering the parts or maybe a kit. Figured it would be a fun project to attempt sometime in the future. also hoping not to blow my face off lol.

Hopefully start off with ones that require little gun smithing skill and working my way up.
The 10/22 is another good gun to "build" (assemble).
The biggest advantage to assembling either an AR or 10/22 is that you get to configure it exactly as you wish. It is real easy to spend a bunch of money on a custom gun.
Either can be done with a minimum of special tools and no welding or machining.

Jack
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The 10/22 came to mind first for me as well. It and the AR are kind of like the old Shake and Bake dinner kits. Put all the parts in a bag, shake them up and out comes a rifle. :mrgreen:
jhrosier wrote: The biggest advantage to assembling either an AR or 10/22 is that you get to configure it exactly as you wish. It is real easy to spend a bunch of money on a custom gun.
Or as my buddy says (after finding out the hard way), a 10/22 is the easiest and fastest way to dump $1K into a $200 rifle (that was back when they were cheaper). :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
I hear them French guns are good guns, HARDLY EVER USED AND ONLY DROPPED ONCE! :lol:
Ha! I like that! That's what they get for eating snails.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

yea the 10/22 look tempting also. What got me thinking was reading someone else building of these kits

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/762nato308m1garandkit-1.aspx

saw the pics as he did each step. looked fun. if I could putll it off would be something great to pass down to my kids or something.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

After 5 years in the gun industry I spent the rest of my life in aircraft.
I picked up, through school and industry a fair amount of metallurgy experience.
Those 49/56's were built like bank vaults, pick one up.
Wonder why such a little rifle is so heavy?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you look around on the weaponsguild you might find a bunch of like minded people in your area who are interested in doing a group build. You'll all meet together in a central place and everyone will put their stuff together. You'll learn a lot, make new friends and go home with your own legal to own built it yourself gun.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I built seven or eight 94 Winchesters from parts gathered over the internet.