Reloading Novice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading Novice

Post by KiwiKev »

I have started reloading 38 special with secondhand brass. I noticed that I get a ripple in the brass on the Lee expanding/powder through die. Any idea why this may occasionally happen? I have not used lube on the cases as the dies are carbide.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Reloading Novice

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know the cause, but someone will probably come along and say it is the Lee dies and the only good dies are whatever they use... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

It's the Lee dies. The only good ones are the ones I use.

No, really, a picture of the rippled case might help to a diagnose your problem. How's the finish on the expander plug?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You didnt state what bullet your reloading. Lead bullets require you to bell the case mouth a bit more so that the bullet can be seated without the lead grabbing the side of the case and causing it to crinkle the case. Jacketed bullets dont tend to give me any issues.

If you are using .357 dies, the piece that bells the case will barely reach the mouth of a .38 SPC. I unscrew the adjustment knob and place a small washer on top of the plug that bells the case mouth to make it go a little deeper in the case.

I guess I should also state that I do not drop my powder through the open expander die. I do that as a seperate process.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A case is a thin brass cylinder. It can easily be crushed/buckled by too much pressure on the case mouth. For some reason the die is putting too much pressure on the case and "buckle/bulge/ripple" the walls. Some brass has thinner walls and will be easier to collapse. Check to see why you're putting too much pressure on the case (I have a Lee die that has a ridge at the top of the flare part of the expander stem and cases will "bottom out" on this ridge and any added pressure will collapse the case...).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Proper belling is important but too much belling will shorten case life as it overworks the case lip and it cracks over time. You want enough belling so that the bullet can be set without shaving anything off of it, in the case of a lead bullet, or tearing the plating, in the case of a plated bullet. A FMJ bullet is strong enough to resist damaging the outer surface but could be dragging on the case if you've not belled it enough.

That said, if you've got a new set of dies take a minute and check out the powder through belling die. Rub your hand over area that slides into the case to see if you can feel any roughness. If found a little emery paper is good for removing any roughness you find left over from manufacturing. If you're using used dies, look for brass stripes vertically around the same area of the die. If you find them use the emery paper to remove them as they will lead to dragging of the die and could cause wrinkling.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Is that lee die carbide? If not, you might have too much grease on your case.

Lees are fine dies. I use Lyman carbide for my 30/357, so I don't have lube. I would end up with a "contour" near the base due to the fact that the sizing doesn't extend all the way down and that is the solid part of the base, but no ripples.

On the other hand, I have normal steel dies (Lyman, except for my universal decapper) for 45/70. When I started using those, it would push the grease together and form little dent. I used less grease and the problem went a away.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

claybob86 wrote:It's the Lee dies. The only good ones are the ones I use.
Thanks, I needed a good laugh today... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The carbide die sets usually consists of only a carbide insert in the sizing die. The expander plug in the expander/powder die is usually just tool steel. Requires a very fine adjustment, or a spot of lube.

And different cases, as mentioned vary in thickness. Where one case will slip into the expander and bell nicely, the next might not and ripple. Sometimes the speed at which you operate has an effect on the how the brass works.

One word of advice: Cleanliness. Make sure the expander plug is clean; it works best when cleaned of any crud from previous reloading sessions.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Clear close up photos needed to understand just what is going on. :wink:
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

I have taken advice onboard. I stripped the expander die cleaned and lightly lubed. Also I have been not as vigorous in using the press. Today so far so good.