Anyone try this?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone try this?

Post by TedH »

I'm casting my own 00 Buck shot, and loading 9 pellets in 2 3/4" hulls, and 12 pellets in some 3" hulls. The gun I'm shooting them in has a rather generous .732" Cylinder bore, so as you would assume the patterns aren't what you would call tight at 25 yards. I thought about sending the barrel off to have it threaded for Invector chokes, but haven't had much luck there finding anyone trustworthy at a price I'd like to pay. Anyway, I was wondering about loading my buck shot and just before I crimp them shut, to fill the shot cup with melted candle wax, then crimp. What do you think that would do to the patterns? I doubt it would remain a solid mass once out of the barrel, but I don't know? Fixing to try it though. :D
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Anyone try this?

Post by Blaine »

Let us know....Go see the Cut Shell thread :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah, that's what planted this notion in my head. :lol:
NRA Life Member
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Never tried the wax.

What size pattern's were you looking for ?

Have you tried different wads, buffer, etc.?

How about different powder's, lower pressure usually equals tighter pattern's.

What kind of lead and mold are you using ?

There are lots of possibilities, a fun project for sure.

-- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Really I'd like to see about a 12" pattern at 25 yards with the 00 buck. I don't know if that's a reasonable expectation or not. I've tried a couple different hulls and wads. Only been using HS6 powder though. I should have something else that will work for lighter, slower loads, but data is not very plentiful. I'm casting them from wheelweight alloy, so they're pretty hard. Haven't tried a buffer yet either. Lot of variables.
NRA Life Member
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

You will need at least a modified choke for a 12" pattern at 25 yards. I fired thousands of rounds of 00 buck and the buffered loads helped but not to the degree you want. I would be careful adding buffering/wax to any shotgun shell. The pressure can skyrocket by doing so. I would use only loads listed in up to date manuals that list buffered loads.

Mike
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I believe the wax would just screw up the pattern terribly----------unorganized clumps. I did read stories where guys wired the buckshot together and it appeared to work real good.----------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Last night I found a fellow that comes highly recommended, and is very reasonable on his prices. Mike Orlen charges $55 to cut a barrel for choke tubes + $15 return shipping. Think I'm going to go that route. That will also enable me to put a rifled choke tube in for slugs, which I already have for another shotgun. 8)
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have some bird shot 20's that I buffered with wax but haven't shot them yet. There is some utube stuff that shows promise. Like penetrating hard disc drives with the wax buffered shot. The shot seemed to be pretty well massed up in close formation when it hit.

What about using a shot cup instead of loading the shot directly into the hull? I'm going to try that with buck and check it out pretty soon.

Your choke plan sounds versatile. I hope you'll post up the results when you pattern your loads.

Grizz
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've use black powder lube (SPG) melted and poured into 7 1/2s. 70 grains ffg Goex, nitro card, 1/2" cushion wad, 1 1/4 oz shot. Pretty much a solid wad at 25 yards. Results not unlike the cut shells. YMMV
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Grizz wrote: What about using a shot cup instead of loading the shot directly into the hull? I'm going to try that with buck and check it out pretty soon.

Your choke plan sounds versatile. I hope you'll post up the results when you pattern your loads.

Grizz
I have tried both ways, without petals on a shotcup type wad, and with the cup intact. Leaving the petals on limits what hulls will allow the 3x3x3 stack I put the pellets in. Remington STS hulls are too thick to allow that, the pellets bulge the sides of the hull and wont chamber smoothly. Using the shotcup in cheapy Winchester hulls does make a considerably better pattern, but still was about two feet diameter at 25 yards.
Last edited by TedH on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Sixgun wrote:I believe the wax would just screw up the pattern terribly----------unorganized clumps. I did read stories where guys wired the buckshot together and it appeared to work real good.----------6
I saw a report on one of the 410/45 revolvers and the tester used some large split shot crimped to a short length os wire...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

just a guess, but i would think pouring melted candle wax in there, would make it act like a slug, for a significant distance, maybe out 15-20 yds?

i would like to know, very interesting idea.
cable
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

TedH wrote:Last night I found a fellow that comes highly recommended, and is very reasonable on his prices. Mike Orlen charges $55 to cut a barrel for choke tubes + $15 return shipping. Think I'm going to go that route. That will also enable me to put a rifled choke tube in for slugs, which I already have for another shotgun. 8)
I was just going to post this exact recommendation. He is a mod on Shotgun World. I am going to have him thread a cut down Rem 11-87 barrel for me.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail