some tech info ..... Penetrating Oils

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

some tech info ..... Penetrating Oils

Post by new pig hunter »

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge ... il-196347/

Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop Mag, April 2007 edition published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for breakout torque on rusted nuts. Results listed below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ....... Average torque load to loosen*
No Oil used ................. 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............. 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix......... 53 pounds
*ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

NOTES:
The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 / 50% automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.
ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.

Cheers,

Carl
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: some tech info ..... Penetrating Oils

Post by Borregos »

Interesting, thanks for posting. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Interesting.
NRA Life Member
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Cool info, thanks.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Years ago we used to mix ATF and mineral spirits. I'm wondering if the acetone does something different?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Does the acetone just serve to carry the heavier molecular weight ATF ingredients down into the nooks and crannies*...?

*(I believe that 'crannie' is the proper SAE term, but in metric they are usually known as 'krannies'; not to be confused with 'grannies', which occasionally seize up as well, but respond better to ibuprofen, without the acetone...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:Does the acetone just serve to carry the heavier molecular weight ATF ingredients down into the nooks and crannies*...?

*(I believe that 'crannie' is the proper SAE term, but in metric they are usually known as 'krannies'; not to be confused with 'grannies', which occasionally seize up as well, but respond better to ibuprofen, without the acetone...)
Yep. It lowers the viscosity so that it prenetrates better without adversely effecting the lubricating properties of the ATF.
Last edited by jeepnik on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Very good info. I'll be mixing some soon. Thanks.

Kevin
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My dad always had Liquid Wrench, in his shop, and to think that I thought Kroil was far superior.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jdad wrote:My dad always had Liquid Wrench, in his shop...
Same here. It works great but stinks. I suspect that the ATF-acetone stuff stinks even worse!

Oly
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rusty wrote:Years ago we used to mix ATF and mineral spirits. I'm wondering if the acetone does something different?
The ATF-mineral spirits stuff makes a pretty good general purpose gun cleaner.

Oly
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I came up with a penetrating oil mix that worked so good you couldnt keep it in a can without seeping right out!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I must be older, dad kept three in one oil in the garage. Squirt a bit on and come back the next day. It usually broke free, and if not, well, that what heat was invented for.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you, N P H.

Saved for my archives!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

IL is insidious for rust due to road salt. Even things not driven on the streets will rust due to how it spreads.

Vehicles are prone to rusting here so that's no surprise. My Pathfinder has an external spare tire mount. The mount has a latch that uses two spring loaded hooks on the same shaft. They work as a primary and secondary latch and had rusted with one in the open position.
I priced a new latch and it was well over a hundred dollars 5 years ago. I said screw that and mixed up a batch of acetone / ATF and began to use it on the latch. I got the two hooks freed up enough that when I'd oil them with the mixture I'd manually move them. I had to open the latch to both open and close the tire carrier or the primary latch would stick in the open position, but at least I got it to work.

Last year my wife just closed it and I heard both latches snap into place. The ATF / acetone mixture had worked and I have a working latch.

After the last snow this year I've got to do a lot of cleaning and servicing on my vehicle, and I'll be using that mixture on anything that moves.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

I would take the above test results with a grain of salt. The test data has been around for a while, and has been posted many times on various forums. Unfortunately, some of the clarifications have not. The author clarified in the article that he had mistakenly used power steering fluid ; as many folks found out ATF and acetone do not mix very well, and tend to separate rather quickly. Another point not quoted in the above text was that the parts sat immersed in the solutions for 8 hours prior to testing.

There are some very good products out there, formulated by professional chemists with PhDs. Something else to consider, the companies that purposely formulate and manufacture penatrants, design them to work in most environments i.e... from 8 below in Duluth, Minnesota to + 106 in Prescott Arizona. See how long acetone stays liquid at temps above 100+ degrees.
Use stuff that was made for the job… I like Kroil
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks nph. I'll remember this when I'm tearing down my '41 Mercury.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

I tend to side with Mike. I am sure almost any oil mixed with a solvent works to some degree or another. I personally use so little of the stuff over the course of a year that the cost savings for me are negligible at best. The same goes for using ATF or Mobil 1 oil on guns. I have no objection to it, but the cost savings are just not worth it to me.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I just use ED'S RED,Since It is already on the shelf.

--- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Personally, I use Kroil. I even use it to loosen lead deposits in barrels; squirt it in the bbl. and let it sit overnight. My "soak"/gun cleaner is Mineral Spirits/Kroil/Marvel's Mystery oil.

I would think the results would be valid no matter how long the test pieces sat in the solution, if all sat the same amount of time...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...