Mid-Winter Maine Fox Hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Mid-Winter Maine Fox Hunt

Post by Old No7 »

"No fur" this morning...

...but it was a beautiful sunrise out in the Maine woods, despite the lack of fox, or a coyote or bobcat. I'm sure that's why they call it "hunting" and not "shooting". I did find some very promising fox sign though -- out in my backyard after I returned home! :o

Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't walk 3 miles on snowshoes the next time...

Ah well, still it was great to be out in the Maine woods enjoying our sporting heritage and freedom. Plus the Snow Camo looks really cool! :wink:

Here's a few pix, with a nod to Nath for his inspiration -- but alas, without Tia or a Fox.

Fox Field
- Without the fox...
Jan 5th '13 (1) (Medium).jpg
Snowshoe trail
- Made my yours truly...
Jan 5th '13 (2) (Medium).jpg
Ready, aim
- But no fire...
Jan 5th '13 (3) (Medium).jpg
Tools of the Trade...
- Snow Camo'd CZ Bobwhite 20ga, #2 shot loads
- FoxPro Spitfire e-call
- StoneyPoint Polecat hiking pole/gun rest
Jan 5th '13 (5) (Medium).jpg
Tight groups, and good huntin' to those still out enjoying the fair chase.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mid-Winter Maine Fox Hunt

Post by TedH »

Great way to spend the day. 8)
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Brer' Fox was prolly wonderin' jes what thet shakin' & chatterin' snowdrift was............ (BRRrrrrrrrrrrr)

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Looks like fun!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

How do you like that CZ? I have been considering one for some time now.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

To bad nothing came in, but still that aint all bad, What brand of call is that?

and do you like it? been thinking bout one, so many options versus a hand call

ollogger
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I was out snowshoeing and calling yotes with the same luck. But what a great day it was.

The snow camo is worth it , I was using an old bed sheet poncho til last year, and then I got the snow camo, nice improvement. Of course I'm still using the kids white hockey tape on the gun. :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

eric65 wrote:How do you like that CZ? I have been considering one for some time now.
I like it a lot, thanks. Yes, there are much better and fancier SXSs out there, but for $600 and change (back then), she looks OK and shoots like a dream. I do wish the triggers weren’t 6+ pounds, but they’re better now than when I first got it. For more info on these, search the “Huglu” (the Turkish maker) forum over on shotgunworld.com. More good reports there on the CZ Bobwhites.
ollogger wrote:What brand of call is that? and do you like it? been thinking bout one, so many options versus a hand call
That’s a FoxPro “Spitfire”, which I paid $200 for 2 years ago. There’s a new model for the same price point that holds 35 sounds (mine holds 20), plus room for more, and it has an even better remote; it's the Wildfire, which improves on the earlier Spitfire model I have. I thought about upgrading, but my late father actually used to work on "Spitfires" in the RAF (Eagle Squadrons, before the Yanks took over operations) so I'm partial to that name. FoxPro also makes many more serious/advanced (and expensive) models too, but this one works well for me – and was more affordable when I got it.
BenT wrote:The snow camo is worth it , I was using an old bed sheet poncho til last year, and then I got the snow camo, nice improvement. Of course I'm still using the kids white hockey tape on the gun. :D
You’re right, the Snow Camo provides great cover/concealment. My CZ is covered with the Camo Wrap from Cabela’s, which is non-stick and wraps on and is secured with black electrical tape. Leaves no mess/residue on the gun, but I remove after each outing just in case it got wet. It is actually a non-sticky “Vet Wrap” that they use on horses legs to cover wounds, from what I’ve read. You can get it in other camo colors too.

Thanks to all for looking, tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent Sir 8)

Looks like a nice spot.

Tote a 20g my self, nice n' lite :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Beautiful country! and yes I guess we do spend far more time hunting than shooting, it would quickly lose something if it were the other way round.... :wink:

I love the camouflage, sadly, we do not get enough snow in the south of England to warrant it,.. :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

but it was a beautiful sunrise out in the Maine woods, despite the lack of fox, or a coyote or bobcat. I'm sure that's why they call it "hunting" and not "shooting". I did find some very promising fox sign though -- out in my backyard after I returned home!
There are quite few of them hanging around in my area. I might have two or three near my house, seen one maybe a few days ago, looks like he was coming out of my apple orchard.

I do remember talking to an old timer who grew up here in this area and he said there is a cycle between the fox and coyote. When I first moved here there were plenty of coyote but now it's all fox. I rather have the fox here, they keep my mole population down to nil :D and they really don't bother the deer herd from what I can see.

Mainehunter :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very nice! I've been eyeing one of those for a while too, though I have a tough time leaving my Model 12/ 20 ga. @ home.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've checked out the the horse section at the Farm & Fleet store , but all their leg wrap stuff comes in pretty colors for the little girls , no white.

Didn't go out this morning calling , the wind was a blowing. Fed the horses and then came in, maybe go after some crows this afternoon.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Way cool or should I say cold :lol: . Will have to get out and do some predator hunting now that deer season is over.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Very pretty woods - I love the northeast.

I had two red foxes running around under the tree I was in on Saturday - it was fun to watch them. I always forget how small foxes really are.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I seem to dimly remember that white stuff from my youth. What do you call it again? :wink:

I read that the bobcats in Maine are biting. Better take them out!