Magazine lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Magazine lever

Post by Jayhawker »

Recently, a friend brought over some rifles for me to look at and evaluate for him. I don't know much about Winchesters but I do know a nice rifle when I see one. One in particular had me puzzled. It was an 1873 chambered for the 38 WCF but it had a 2" lever under the full length mag tube at the muzzle end. I couldn't see any reason for it as the tube was still attached via a stud to the barrel. It did seem to key into a slot milled into the underside of the barrel. Any idea as to what it's for?

I was so fascinated with the collection that I forgot to take pics.
Well done is better than well said.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: Magazine lever

Post by Lastmohecken »

It was probably a take down model.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, it sounds like a takedown. Here's a vid that shows how to operate the takedown. Be sure you open the action before taking the barrel off!!! You can break the extractor if you don't!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENKfZGPhk9c

If your magazine is full length, then the takedown lever wont open out as far as the one in the vid, they have to open out straight with a half length magazine to operate.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Thanks for the replies and the video link. I wonder if I could talk my friend out of it now.
Well done is better than well said.