My son wanted it in his name

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

My son wanted it in his name

Post by jdad »

There's a whole batch of type 56 Chinese SKS's that were just imported, from Albania. Most are in fair-at-best condition. They were all 1956-1959 and were used in the Balkans "conflict". These were probably in the hands of the VC, then shipped back to China, then eventually shipped to the Balkan's, then packed in cosmoline. The ATF was kind enough to let CAI import them complete. They are basically a Russian SKS, with the dark wood, blade bayonet, and all milled parts. I got a smokin' deal on one that was hand picked, for condition and matching numbers. Once I cleaned all the cosmoline off it was in really nice shape, with a mint bore. The icing on the cake was that it was a first year (1956) Sino-Soviet.

Long story short, my son really likes the historical aspects, of the Cold War Com-Bloc stuff. I said I would give it to him and he said he wanted it transferred into his name. I figured if he really wanted it that bad he was going to learn how to take it apart. I talked him through a complete field strip and reassembly, then took him down and had him fill out the 4473. Sometimes our kids really surprise us parents. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My son wanted it in his name

Post by Tycer »

Glad he wants it. I think it's a testament to you raising him well. Good on you.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm glad he's getting into this. So is my oldest daughter now. She asks to go shooting every time she comes home for a visit and last visit was talking about how she could safely have a gun in her home (she has roommates).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

He has no interest in vintage AMERICAN levers, rimfires, etc., but if it's a Soviet Com-Bloc semi-auto I have his undivided attention. :roll:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was in my LGS today and they had a PPS in 7.62X25. IIRC it
said American Pioneer on it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Its always great when the next generation makes the decision to become a gun owner/enthusiest. For years I tried to get my oldest interested without success. Then out of the blue she has now wanted to go shooting and shows an intrest. This year she will receive her 1st gun for her 22nd birthday. A Taurus 85 snubnose (stainless with pink grips) a pink camo range bag, hearing protection, eye protection, cleaning kit, gun safe and 2 boxes of .38 SJHP reloaded by yours truly!

I hope this is the first of many for both of our kids!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

jdad wrote:He has no interest in vintage AMERICAN levers, rimfires, etc., but if it's a Soviet Com-Bloc semi-auto I have his undivided attention. :roll:
Did you show him that thread where the guy turned a shovel into an AK?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Many of the young have become enamered with the " myth " of the AK.
At least they are shooting, how well; remains to be seen.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hobie wrote:I'm glad he's getting into this. So is my oldest daughter now. She asks to go shooting every time she comes home for a visit and last visit was talking about how she could safely have a gun in her home (she has roommates).
FWIW, Hobie, back when my youngest daughter had housemates (3 friends rented an entire house together), I bought her one of those small, fingerprint-opening gun safes for her S&W M-37, which I bolted down to the house's frame w/6" lagscrews.

I think she took it with her, now that she's boughten her own home, even though she has a regular (but small) upright gun safe.

David - I'm glad your son's "into" the SKS, but surprised at the legal formality. Does Oregon require such ?

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Nice one.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Pete44ru wrote:
Hobie wrote:I'm glad he's getting into this. So is my oldest daughter now. She asks to go shooting every time she comes home for a visit and last visit was talking about how she could safely have a gun in her home (she has roommates).

David - I'm glad your son's "into" the SKS, but surprised at the legal formality. Does Oregon require such ?

That's the weird thing. We have no requirement, but for whatever reason he wanted the rifle to be HIS, in HIS name.