Jonesing for a .45-70 levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Jonesing for a .45-70 levergun

Post by pullnshoot25 »

So I have a Puma 92 .44mag but that isn't cutting it for my levergun lust and I am now jonesing for a .45-70 levergun. Ideally, I would get an 1886 (if for any other reason, "Crossfire Trail" was a good levergun action movie) but that is kind of out of my price range at the moment. What are my options for a good levergun in that caliber? What years should I be looking for? Should I stave off my lust for a while and save up for the "real deal"?
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Jonesing for a .45-70 levergun

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rossi RG4570 series...
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

The Marlin GBL or Guide Guns are pretty nice.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

pullnshoot25 wrote:So I have a Puma 92 .44mag but that isn't cutting it for my levergun lust and I am now jonesing for a .45-70 levergun. Ideally, I would get an 1886 (if for any other reason, "Crossfire Trail" was a good levergun action movie) but that is kind of out of my price range at the moment. What are my options for a good levergun in that caliber? What years should I be looking for? Should I stave off my lust for a while and save up for the "real deal"?
In Crossfire Trail, that levergun was a 76 Centenial probably in 45/75, not an 1886 in 45/70. But that doesn't matter, you are right to want a 45/70 as your next choice, probably. Ammo is easy to find, etc.

Just my opinion, but I would probably look for a Browning 86 as first choice, because they didn't have the rebounding hammers and top tang safetys that came later with the Winchester Reproductions. Another choice would be a used Marlin, once again, I would search for a pre-crossbolt safety model as first choice.

Of course an original Winchester 1886 with a nickel steel barrel would be a great find, but anymore the cost is staggering for a decent shooter.
NRA Life Member, Patron
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

If you're jones'in for a real looking .45/70, good first choice is Marlin 1895 cowboy, pre-cross bolt safety. If you can't find one of those, then get one with the cross-bolt, it can be easily dropped out.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1970's Marlin 1895's of any flavor are an affordable choice. The 1895 Marlin Cowboy is especially nice....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have shot most of the popular ones Marlin 1895 CB, SS, GG - the 1886 26" - Browning 1885 - Ruger #1 - Sharps 1874, couple configurations. Of these, I like the Marlin 1895SS 22" for all around. If I wanted outright power or widest range of usability beyond multishot I would get the Ruger #1.

The most romantic looking to me is the 1886 carbine. I think Hobie got one but I don't think I have read any shooting or hunting reports.

There are others of course but I have not shot them.

You might note how close these two are in configuration.

Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Here's Mine:

Marlin Guide Gun. Taken a coupla Whitetail. Fun to shoot with jacketed or moderate cast loads.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'm partial to the GS. I'm not planning on staving off a band or renegades, so a long tube of shells isn't necessary, just heavy.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Well, I love my Browning '86 SRC. I'm glad it's my first and only. Hate having to buy things twice.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

alnitak wrote:Well, I love my Browning '86 SRC. I'm glad it's my first and only. Hate having to buy things twice.
Yes, you did good there. I have the same thing now, a Browning SRC, but it's at the end of a fairly long line of 45/70's
NRA Life Member, Patron
oklahoma red
Levergunner

Post by oklahoma red »

Good evening to ya all,

Love, Love my 1895 Cowboy!!
Long, Large, holds 9+1, and shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups with hot 300gr. Nosler partation hunting loads :D :D

Happy shootin to Ya,
OkR
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I have a Marlin Guide Gun I bought before Rem took over. I like it
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lastmohecken wrote:
alnitak wrote:Well, I love my Browning '86 SRC. I'm glad it's my first and only. Hate having to buy things twice.
Yes, you did good there. I have the same thing now, a Browning SRC, but it's at the end of a fairly long line of 45/70's
Yes, I have the Browning 1886 SRC. Great gun! You can disregard the bullet holes from outside the c-more target as those were from earlier experiments. Just note the tight 5-round group at the center. That's what this gun can do with this sight. I love it.

You might have noted over the years that I prefer a particular format of levergun...

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice collection Hobie - how far were you shooting?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Nice collection, Hobie

What load were you using in your rife? Were you shooting with a disk in you receiver sight or ghost Ring?
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

oklahoma red wrote:Image
I have one of those zip-on camo covers for a Mini-14 stock. Kind of cool.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "