Shot first handgun today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Shot first handgun today.

Post by mikld »

Today I shot my very first handgun, the first handgun I bought. In '68 I bought a used Ruger Single Six with both cylinders. I really like this gun, but I was reminded what a bad shot I am. At 35 yds. from a rest the best i could do was about 8" groups. I guess I could blame the itty-bitty non-adjustable sights, but I didn't do much better with my 629 or my Super Blackhawk. I shot a few of several different ammos, some grouped a bit better than others,but I had a lot of fun. Need much more practice... :mrgreen:

One very positive aspect of todays shooting, I salvaged/scrounged about 100 .45 ACP brass and mebbe 150 .223/5.56 cases (I don't count .40 or 9mm).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Shot first handgun today.

Post by Griff »

mikld wrote:Today I shot my very first handgun, the first handgun I bought. In '68 I bought a used Ruger Single Six with both cylinders. I really like this gun, but I was reminded what a bad shot I am. At 35 yds. from a rest the best i could do was about 8" groups. I guess I could blame the itty-bitty non-adjustable sights, but I didn't do much better with my 629 or my Super Blackhawk. I shot a few of several different ammos, some grouped a bit better than others,but I had a lot of fun. Need much more practice... :mrgreen:

One very positive aspect of todays shooting, I salvaged/scrounged about 100 .45 ACP brass and mebbe 150 .223/5.56 cases (I don't count .40 or 9mm).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aye, practice does improve one's results. And perfect practice makes performance even better! I went to a match a few weeks ago, and like you, I think I came away with more 45ACP than I used. And loved every second I spent reloading them!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWIW I find I can shoot the Ruger Mk-2's WAY BETTER than I can the Single-Sixes. Dunno if it's the ergonomics or what. Some (who unlike me, are good-enough shots to tell the difference) tell me that a .22-LR-only gun will be more accurate than a 'combination' WMR one, because the bore is different.

BOTH Ruger rimfires ARE VERY FUN, however... 8)

On a side note, check the .223 cases to be sure you don't try depriming any Berdan ones, and if any have crimped-in primers, be prepared to deal with that extra step.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Somedays are like that! Good to smell some powder even on those days. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Even a bad day shooting beats a good day at work.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even the good shottists have to practice. Now, me, I am not more than so-so on most days because I don't have the time to practice. I am looking forward to some time off this weekend. 1 day off in the last 20 is not conducive to going shooting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

mikld wrote: ...the best i could do was about 8" groups. ...
if you were forced to defend yourself at that range, the perp would be toast.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have to say that I can identify with the OP.I like shooting pistols and I own a few but I will be the first to tell you that I am a really LOUSY pistol shooter.I am fairly good with a rifle but not with a handgun and I have been shooting pistols over 50 years.I still shoot them a lot but I realize my limitations.
"A man has got to know his limits".

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:Aye, practice does improve one's results.
Indeed it does, up to a point. For some of us the law of diminishing returns kicks in sooner than for others... :lol:

A friend of mine who is a former Ranger (US Army, not Texas) says shooting skills go stale faster than bread and he's right. I try to get out often enough to stay proficient but sometimes I might as well be starting back at square one.

OTOH as it was said, it usually beats a day at work. :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

AJMD429 wrote:FWIW I find I can shoot the Ruger Mk-2's WAY BETTER than I can the Single-Sixes. Dunno if it's the ergonomics or what. Some (who unlike me, are good-enough shots to tell the difference) tell me that a .22-LR-only gun will be more accurate than a 'combination' WMR one, because the bore is different.

BOTH Ruger rimfires ARE VERY FUN, however... 8)
I have never liked the Ruger semi-auto .22's. They are great guns, but just don't fit my hand like a Single Six. I'm the exact opposite, I shoot the Single Six much better than the Mk 2. In general, I am more accurate with single action revolvers than semi-autos. As for the .22 LR only gun, that is generally true, but there are exceptions. 2 of the most accurate Single Sixes I have ever handled have been combo guns. Or you can do like I did, get a Single Six .22 LR only bisley and then get a .22WMR cylinder for it. Or you can use Paco's accurizer to bump up the diameter of the .22LR to hug the rifling a bit better in the larger bored guns. Paco's accurizer works wonders even if you don't have the larger bored gun. Performance on game is also noticeably enhanced.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams