The 22 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

The 22 Mag

Post by Pitchy »

I was talking with a couple buds and i brought up the 22 mag as i have a mag cylinder for my Single Six.
I`ve never gave the 22 mag much thought and i don`t know if i`ve ever shot one.
My buddies said heck ya that the 22 mag is a great cartridge and can be used for lots of things.
How many of you guys use it and what are the benefits and uses you use it for, i dug out the mag cyl. and put it in and may start carrying it while carrying a big bore rifle as a backup.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The 22 Mag

Post by Marlin32 »

Have a mag cylinder for my colt SA, I use it almost exclusively for hunting, rabbits, squirrels etc. It is more accurate than the LR, not sure why, maybe longer bullet lines up better to barrel, or maybe it is simply the ammunition. Either way, it shoots much better with mag.

Good for dispatching varmints also.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe we will have naysayers as well as proponents and it will go back and forth but I can't help but put in my 2 cents worth.

The cartridge from a revolver is about like the .22 LR from a rifle. One can compare one specific load to another to naysay that but generally, that's what it is. From a rifle it seems to more than split the difference between the .22 LR and the Hornet. There is a reason it is the poacher's friend, it is relatively quiet with sufficient power and using the right load is non destructive of meat, accurate and sufficiently flat shooting for the task. Ammo is expensive compared to the .22 LR, about 2-3 times the cost but about half of the cost (per round) of the least expensive centerfire substitute the .223/5.56mm.

I know several people who use it from Single-Sixes for coyotes, ground hogs and such as it rides on their farm vehicles daily.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've used the .22 mag Single Six on bunnies, overkill, a .22 lr works fine. But, I've also take one yote with a .22 mag rifle, worked real good, but you need to keep the range relatively short. I see it as a pretty good short range varmit round from a rifle, and a close range varmit round from a handgun. What I usually do is use the cylinder that matches the rifle I'm using on any given day. Saves having to be embarrased by senior moments when the boys are around. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

If you handload, it is hard to justify the .22 mag when a .38 spl loaded light with a 125 gr cast bullet will do the same job at less than half the price.

I doubt that I would run out and buy a new .22 mag revolver but I have a couple of Ruger Single Sixes with magnum cylinders so I very occasionally buy a box of ammo for plinking. My 9-1/2" SS is scary accurate with the magnums.

I used to carry the .22 mag for woods walks. In recent years the population of black bears, rabid critters and suspicious two leggers has made the .45 Colt a more logical choice.

Jack
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Well now there is the PM-30.

That could be useful.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like 22 Mag in a rifle. It can stretch to serve for a mid-size animal given the opportunity. I shot a javelina with one at 45 yards and a heart shot put it down right there, a few kicks and dead. It can reach out 100, even 125 yds on prairie dogs if you know the sight-in and trajectory. Longer if you have a really accurate one sighted in such. Head shots on close range hogs are do-able if you are very careful. I use the 40 gr CCI mostly and it gets 1902 fps in my rifle. If you are using it for a finisher on game that still has life left when you walk up on it the mag can be a bit more definitive than the LR. Now, from a handgun all I know is that it is loud. Can't speak of the power and performance.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have used the 22 mag. in rev. & rifle alot in the past, biggest thing was a coyote & seems to work ok out to 100yds. or so
used the soild bullet for treed coon, but went back to the 22lr in a sinle six cuz of the crack the mag makes its loud
now a days you can shoot center fire cheaper if ya cast your own, but I still like the 22 mag. some days i just like to burn some ammo & if i loose a case or two its no big deal

ollogger
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Up here the 22 Mag is quite popular for poachers. That includes everything up to treed black bears with careful headshots (on the reservation this is a rather popular practice). I've never had much use for it as I have 22 lr's and a 218 Bee. Everybody I know who uses it likes it but has issue with the cost.

Eric
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

See what Paco Kelly said about the 22 Magnum - it's more than the paper ballistics say:

http://fiveshot.org/backissues/paco/22Magnum.htm
http://fiveshot.org/backissues/paco/22mag2.htm
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In Pa., you can't use centerfire for small game. That eliminates using a down loaded 38 so the 22 mag shines in the role you would do that for. I also carry a 22 mag, a high standard derringer, for cc on most days in a wallet holster. The sig is in the backpack I carry but 22 mag stays on person
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Only 22mag I have is a T/C barrel I converted from 22LR, fun to shoot but fairly costly :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

My daily pocket cc alternates between a Smith 638 and a North American Arms .22 magnum.
I've shot the .22 magnum in one gun or another for 45+ years and I like it a lot.It definitely has it's limits.It's a lot more than many give it credit for.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Interesting thanks, think i`ll carry the SS 22 mag more. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Winchester hollow tip bullet hit like little grenades! Much tissue damage compared to 22LR.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I currently have two .22Mag revolvers, both Charter Pathfinders (one old/one new), and two .22Mag rifles, a Ruger 77/22 boltgun & a Winchester 9422XTR levergun, besides several rifles & handguns in .22LR - and can say the .22Mag rifles get much more field use than the LR's usually do, especially when predator calling or chuckin'.

The Mags are usually more accurate than LR's in convertible dual-cylinder revolvers, because their barrels are usually bored larger for the Mag, than barrels made exclusively for the LR- so the LR slugs are a bit of a sloppy fit when fired in the somewhat larger bore.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Old friend who with a buddy used to pack the high Sierras with horses and mules for a month every summer told me they carried two handguns - a Ruger Flat Top 44 Mag for bears if needed and a SS 22 Mag. he said they used to carry a 38 but the 22 Mag was much better for small game. He said you have to see what it does to believe it. I would guess there was no long range shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I like the idea of of a small, light 22 mag, however, it's a non-starter compared to handloading 38spl or even 357mag in both pistols and especially in rifles due to it's extremely high cost for ammo. Further, it's performance gain in pistols and rifles over the 22 lr compared to the ammo price differential makes it very cost ineffective there too.

I currently load both 38spl and 357mag with 158grn JSP bullets for cheaper than I can find 22mag anywhere and if you use hand cast lead bullets the difference becomes significantly cheaper. Further, 38spl and 357mag have a wide bullet weight and bullet type range from 78 to 200 grns and loads can be tailored pretty much for whatever you want.

The 38spl and 357mag with it's ability for cheaper shooting when reloading, longer range, flatter trajectory, wider bullet choice, ability to tailor loads for anything from squirrels and p-dogs to deer and big hogs swamps the 22 mag's performance and it really doesn't have a chance to compete at it's current price point. Now, if someone decided to get real on the pricing of 22 mag ammo and it was available for, say five cents a round, then the 22 mag would be something to consider.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

First handgun I owned was a Single Six w/mag. and lr cylinders. The 22 Magnum is what got me interested in longer (100+) range shooting as the Mag. was pretty accurate at distance. My longest shot was just under 100 yards, across a gully at a jack rabbit. First shot low, second shot DRT, no wiggling or kicking, just plopped over dead. I know that distance isn't considered far to a lot of pistoleros here, but was my first and got me to thinkin'. Moved on to .44 Magnum and 100 target shooting (Angeles Shooting Range on So. CA).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just my personal usage, but I don't use the Mag cyl in the Single Six, but, the 9422M is 'nother story. It's an under rated tool. The 9422 LR moves little white rocks...the 9422M powders them :D It even has some perceptable recoil. It's sort of like haveing small center fire in a rimfire. Eventually, when I start shooting more, I'll scope the 1894 Bee and join the big boys :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I don't really consider cost to be a factor in my enjoyment of .22 mag handguns. They are hunting/field carry firearms for me, and the cost of the shots I fire from them at game in a given year wouldn't buy me a decent meal. For plinking, I shoot my .22 long rifle handguns or reloaded .38s.

I have two .22 magnum handguns. One is a beautiful blued SW 51 with adjustable sights and a 3.5 inch barrel. It is ideal for woods carry and shooting close up small game. It shoots .22 Winchester 40 grain hollow points at about the same velocity as 40 grain long rifle bullets from a regular .22 rifle. I just bought some of the new Speer Gold Dots and shot a squirrel with it last week. Devastating.

My other .22 mag is a six-inch SW 648 topped off with a two-power Leupold. This is a squirrel gun SUPREME! It also has the benefit of being able to shoot .22 WRF rounds to exactly the same point of aim at 50 yards. I generally shoot the WRF loads for squirrels as they are quieter and a bit less destructive.

I agree with the great flexibility of reloaded .38s and .357s. If I were limited to a owning only a couple of handguns, a .22 mag would not be in the mix. But I have no such limitation and a variety of effective tools is have the fun!

My SW 51:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/S_W4.jpg
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Recently a friend came over with 2 of his latest purchases, a Winny 9422 and a Kel-Tec PMR-30. Both are in .22mag. Wow, what fun we had plinking with those! Now I want one of each! Both guns were very accurate and reliable. As others have said, if you reload you can probably put together some loads that would better suit what you want, and save money too. If you do not reload, the .22mag may just be the "little extra" that you are looking for. For their size they do a great job.
The mag is .224" diameter, the LR is .222" diameter. The guns that shoot both usually have the .224" barrels. This accounts for better accuracy for the larger bullets, usually, not always. My Ruger SS Single Six with 6.5" barrel slightly favors the mag. but not much.
My Marlin M25MN is very accurate with the mags.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Friend of mine has a rifle, seen alot of varmints go down from it, running shots too!

RWS ammo is the hottest, if you can find some and afford it!

I rate 22 mag and the temptation is a permament annoyance :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Does anyone have anything to say about the Hornady 30gr V-Max in .22mag? I have a Marlin 25mn around here someplace and bought a couple 50 rounders of those to try in it sometime.

I now have a box of these in hand and it states they are 2200fps at the muzzle, while 2 boxes of CCI in HP and one saying Total Metal Jacket are 1875fps at 40grains.

Anybody have any comments on what shoots best from a Marlin bolt action barrel? Thanks .DT
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I never got to try a revolver in .22 mag but I've had two 9422Ms and a Marlin M25 and they were great guns, although the one 9422M had problems with the barrel bands affecting accuracy. The Marlin was a tack driver with Winchester 40gr HP.
Because I can not get the .22 Hornet I wanted I'm going to get another .22 Magnum for foxes.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The 22 WMR isn't the most accurate cartridge in the world. It normally can't compete with the 22LR, 17HM2, or 17HMR accuracy wise, but to me it has the edge for killing on coyote sized varmints. I use it for coyotes at night because my state law only allows rimfires for night hunting.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I told this story here probably a million times so I am going to shorten it considerably. I was invited to hunt with my friend Rob at his grandpas farm in Old Saybrook, CT. Rob hunts deer there every opening weekend since he was 10 years old, but he doesnt hunt otherwise. He keeps his deer hunting clothes, rifle and knife at Grandpa's just like he always has. On that trip I had a 7mm Rem Mag, camo scent blocker, etc. We arrived late at night and went to sleep. Early in the AM Rob got his stuff together. Filson and Woolrich red/black jacket, green pants, hat. Rifle - A Winchester .22 Mag bolt action. Ammo - Same few boxes purchased in the late 60's. I asked "where his deer rifle really was" and he didnt get it. He has shot a buck every year with that for 30+ years. Same tree, same trail. I thought he was naive and just didnt know any better. About 7:30AM I thought I heard a shot so I walked back over to his tree. He said "I shot a buck". We followed the trail for maybe 50 yards and there in the low vegetables was a big buck, dead. It was shot in the heart. Rob didnt think it was a big deal at all - another ho-hum deer season as usual. I was the one who was naive after all!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s a cool story and first time i`ve heard it. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I bought a .22 mag cylinder for my colt frontiere, but didn't fit :?: , so I gave it away. Got to agree with the idea of 38 waddcutters instead of the .22 mag. But, to each, his own :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

38s are great if you can use them in your state. I just don't see the cost as a major factor unless you really shoot a whole lot.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've tried, and I mean really really tried, to like the .22m. Didn't stick. In a pistol it's still just a squirrel and bunny gun (as stated, similer capabilties to a .22lr rifle) and from a rifle it has marginally better range and thump than the newer .22lr 40gr hypers but still is no where close to even the diminutive centerfires. IMO, It's a niche round. Well worth a look if you're required by law or circumstance. But in handguns if I need more than a .22lr I need a .32 or .38 and in rifles if I need more I need a minumum of a Hornet.

I'll revisit the .22m if they ever do like thet have with the .22lr over the last decade and up the performance with 40gr bullets using whatever special powders or tricks they have.

LK
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Friend of mine moved to CO and had a similar experience with a fellow there except it involved Elk and a 243.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Really? The only problem with my Bee is chasing brass in grass or weeds....I'm lazy, I guess :P That sucker puts a Hornet to shame :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

See now I don't get something! Whats this about when you want more??

When does more become enough? When does more become to much? And at what precise moment does more become not enough?

As Joe's story points out, the cross over or overlap between my above questions are very blurred IMO.

All more gives you in this example is further range.

Comparing a 22m and 38s is folly to me. My limited experiance of a 38 and 357m on small game was nowhere near as decisive as the 22m! A slower nuggat compared to a lighter faster rapid expanding light pill is a no brainer on small critters.

Pretty much the same rule applies as to any cartridge-it'll get the job done if you are close enough for it!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Pitchy wrote:That`s a cool story and first time i`ve heard it. 8) :)
+1, i have three revolvers that shoot .22 Mag, one that I use as back up to my carry pistol, used to have one that was issued for that reason.
It is not the critic who counts
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

As I've said before--I shot a pigeon at about 30 yds using Ruger 10/22 mag and nearly shot it in half.

Big difference in performance of 22 LR and 22 Mag Rim-Fire. Dead right there is a lot more doable with the 22 mag rimfire.

As you get older and no longer enthused much with reloading, paying a little more for a round you don't have to reload is welcome. My time can be enjoyed more by doing other things rather than reloading. I'm still reloading but like to keep it to a minimum.

The older you get the more conscious you are of time and how you spend it. It can't be replenished. When you use it, it is gone forever.

Being older and losing your parents, other relatives and friends makes this a lot easier to understand.

Need to add: Reloading is a great hobby and a lot of fun but after a lot of years of reloading and a lot of other interests--I keep it to a minimum.

Don
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've had a couple 22 mags over the years and found for grouse, skunks and porkies, they work so much better than a 22 long rifle at least as far as hanguns go. I always thought that if you wanted to carry a handgun while you were rifle hunting the .22 mag would be a great choice for dispathing a downed critter or for signalling if you have too. Most of the buthers around here have switched to the mags in rifle form for putting down animals.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JB wrote:The 22 WMR isn't the most accurate cartridge in the world. It normally can't compete with the 22LR, 17HM2, or 17HMR accuracy wise, but to me it has the edge for killing on coyote sized varmints.
I did talk to a guy who seemed not to be the typical 'braggart', who said he had a heavy-barrel single-shot in .22 WMR that he could shoot cloverleaf groups with at 100 yards. He said as long as he stuck with the same ammo (and he applied a thin coat of violin-oil to the bullets as well), he could bet people a dollar he'd hit a dime on the first shot at 100 yards, and would very seldom miss. He'd had a custom trigger job per the local gunsmith, as well.

So I wonder if the .22 WMR gets a 'bad rap' because so many of the guns made for it aren't really designed for accuracy? My Ruger 96/22M is a one-inch-at-fifty-yards gun with the random ammo I usually use, and that's all I need or expect from it. However if I shoot a .22 Hornet I just 'expect' it to perform better, and the guns I've seen chambered for it are 100% better made than the .22 WMR's
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AJMD429 wrote:
JB wrote:The 22 WMR isn't the most accurate cartridge in the world. It normally can't compete with the 22LR, 17HM2, or 17HMR accuracy wise, but to me it has the edge for killing on coyote sized varmints.
I did talk to a guy who seemed not to be the typical 'braggart', who said he had a heavy-barrel single-shot in .22 WMR that he could shoot cloverleaf groups with at 100 yards. He said as long as he stuck with the same ammo (and he applied a thin coat of violin-oil to the bullets as well), he could bet people a dollar he'd hit a dime on the first shot at 100 yards, and would very seldom miss. He'd had a custom trigger job per the local gunsmith, as well.

So I wonder if the .22 WMR gets a 'bad rap' because so many of the guns made for it aren't really designed for accuracy? My Ruger 96/22M is a one-inch-at-fifty-yards gun with the random ammo I usually use, and that's all I need or expect from it. However if I shoot a .22 Hornet I just 'expect' it to perform better, and the guns I've seen chambered for it are 100% better made than the .22 WMR's
Good point! My buddie's rifle is a Mauser 201 with forward locking lugs. That would clover leaf! That is untill the belly of the stock cracked!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Probably a topic for a separate thread, but it brings to mind the whole question of if some cartridges are REALLY 'inherently accurate', or if it is just the bullets available and guns they're chambered in.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Nath wrote:See now I don't get something! Whats this about when you want more??

When does more become enough? When does more become to much? And at what precise moment does more become not enough?

As Joe's story points out, the cross over or overlap between my above questions are very blurred IMO.

All more gives you in this example is further range.

Comparing a 22m and 38s is folly to me. My limited experiance of a 38 and 357m on small game was nowhere near as decisive as the 22m! A slower nuggat compared to a lighter faster rapid expanding light pill is a no brainer on small critters.

Pretty much the same rule applies as to any cartridge-it'll get the job done if you are close enough for it!

N.
No bad on the .22M. If it was all I had, I'd make it work for me. I carry a .32acp for protection and most people beat me up for it. But, then again, It works for me. Having a .22LR and a .357Magnum, with both of their extreme versatility, can't see the need for one. If you got a .22mag and dig it, more power to you :D
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

The precessor to the 22 mag was the 22WRF ,at the time of it;s make 1890 it was the cats meoww.

Now it's just about somewhere like the stinger,ezcept it's 224 in size and will fire in the mag guns

and won't vaporize small game.

Winchester still offers it a coupla times a year for all the 1890,62 carnaval guns.

Same price or a little cheaper than the mags.

Bob
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Having shot .22LR out of the long gun all my life, I was relative latecomer to the 22LR/22M revolver world. Like a lot of others here, I more often pack the .32 Mag or .38/.357 "just because," but epecially what with the increasing number of mountain lion and even occasional black bear sightings "down low"-- which suggest centerfire. However, I've found there are just times the .22s make a perfect pair for tromping in the desert. You can't beat the .22LR for plinking fun and there are few of the more likely desert critters that couldn't be dispatched--or discouraged--with the .22WMR, including rattlers, a disgruntled charging javelina or even the (hopefully) rare bobcat encounter. ..and that's how I pack the gun. For the actual tromping (and campsite), its the WMR cylinder with snakeshot in the first two chambers, then when getting to the plinking spot, switching to the LR for bottle 'n can fun. Because of this split (a lot less WMR actually shot) I don't sweat the cost issue mentioned.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Back 30 years ago I lived in the Big Island of Hawai'i and had a Paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) friend who worked and lived on the then 65,000 acre Greenwell Ranch. His only gun was a Winchester 9422M. The old saying "beware the man who owns only one gun" applied to him in spades. He could literally hit a Kalij Pheasant's eye at 50 paces in fading light repeatedly, watched him do it.. He used this rifle to harvest the numerous wild pigs, goats, the sheep that roamed the ranch. I was quite impressed with the performance of the 22 magnum especially in capable hands.
I don't own a 22 mag but I have been lusting after a Henry Golden Boy pretty much since the day they came out.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Great topic OP and posts by everyone. I can't believe I'm just now seeing/reading it. I love the .22 WMR. I can understand those of you that have no interest in it or can easily do without because you handload etc. I handload for several cartridges but still couldn't see myself without a rimfire magnum. I now have three, a Ruger Single-Six, a Winchester 9422 and just recently after saving for over a year, a Cooper 57M standard. That Cooper is a NICE rifle if I say so myself. I know some people have a sour taste in their mouth about Cooper but lets not ruin this thread. I haven't shot the Cooper much yet as I'm waiting on a scope, the heat's been really high and busy with other things going though life but I'm looking forward to Fall time.
I agree with others on here about a .22 WMR out of a handgun to similar to a .22LR out of a rifle, but with a WMR you have a real jacketed bullet and now thanks to the .17's, a much better variety of bullets and weights. Manufacturer's have really stepped up and are helping us out. Costs for WMR ammunition is varied but still reasonable compared to the recent cost increase on virtually all ammo, rimfire or centerfire. I wouldn't say I really plink with it like regular .22 LR but it's nice to shoot something way more powerful, not worry about the brass and still have a centerfire style bullet.
There will always by a place for a .22 WMR just like a .22 LR and .223 Rem. I like choices when I don't have to be picky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Some folks think that the fact a .22 mag handgun has little more power than a .22 long rifle from a rifle negates its effectiveness and importance in the field. I think exactly the OPPOSITE is true. Just think, you have the power of a full-sized rimfire rifle in a tiny package that can be carried in a holster. I think this is a giant PLUS for the cartridge. My chrony has shown my 6" SW 648 .22 mag has almost 20% more muzzle energy than high speed long rifle cartridges from my rifles, while my SW51 .22 mag with a 3.5 inch barrel has about the same energy of high velocity long rifle cartridges from my rifles. Regardless of these handgun/rifle comparisons, .22 mags from 4-inch or more barrels have one heck of lot more energy that .22 long rifle handguns (almost twice as much energy out of six inch barrels). Very significant in the rimfire world.

I most often carry a 3" SW 60 .38/.357 (adjustable sights) as a field gun, but am more likely to carry a rimfire when I am confident small game will become targets. The mag handgun is a significantly better small game killer than a long rifle handgun, particulary when the possibility of running into a groundhog or fox is realistic. The new Hornaday and Speer magnums designed for handguns are a big step forward in handgun rounds. I know they are designed for 'personal defense,' but the fact they actually expand at handgun velocities make them super for the handgun hunter.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I u shoot the CCI Velocitor, It narrows the practical gap between it and the Magnum version. Just some more fuel for the campfire. :wink:
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Velocitors, my personal favorite! :D. And yes, they split things just about dead center down the middle. Not cheap but substantially less than the .22m and I don't have to buy/use a different gun.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

AJMD429 wrote:

You do have to compare apples to apples, but I'm talking the same models in different calibers. I've shot the 22WMR in what are normally very accurate rifles Anschutz, CZ, and some others, Gun for gun the the other rimfires are generally considerably more accurate.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

22 mag is more accurate out of my single six then LR. Haven't taken any game with it so no dog in that fight.