Thought I was going to die... so I tried to kill as many

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Thought I was going to die... so I tried to kill as many

Post by Ray Newman »

" 'I thought I was going to die... so I tried to kill as many as I could': Hero Gurkha receives bravery medal from the Queen"

"Corporal Dipprasad Pun defeated more than 30 Taliban fighters single-handedly

"Used the tripod of his machine gun to beat away a militant after running out of ammunition

"A Gurkha soldier who single-handedly defeated more than 30 Taliban fighters has been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross by the Queen.

"Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, described how he was spurred on by the belief that he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint in Afghanistan."

Read all 'bout it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1xJzZffeL
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Thought I was going to die... so I tried to kill as many

Post by Blaine »

The only weapon he did not use was the traditional Kukri knife carried by Gurkhas because he did not have his with him at the time.
I wondered about that....I've seen them many times at EUSA doing their drills. If you ask to see the knife, you had better draw some blood with it: yours. If not, he will take back his knife, look at you with scorn and cut himself....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I hate to suggest it, but a white man might have got a VC. And how much is he getting paid - last I heard the Ghurka troops in the British army were getting the equivilent of a "decent" wage in Nepal, Something like $200 a month. Meanwhile doing the same job alongside the UK troops.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I disagree, the Gurkhas have had quite a few VC's awarded.

The CGM is their equivalent of the DSC.

Not sure how much they're paid but it in Nepal is basically a fortune, and they are HIGHLY regarded among British and any other allied forces, I've spoken to a few Gurkhas and mostly their Brit support troops back in '07 when a battalion of them came through homeward bound from Iraq.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

They were very highly regarded soldiers by my family members who served alongside them in WW2, brave, loyal, and dangerous.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks for sharing. Well deserved honor
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Excellent! Another chance to post these... :mrgreen:

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

awp101 wrote:Excellent! Another chance to post these... :mrgreen:

I just love that bottom poster! yea I am a little guy, and I need to get me a bigger knife.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

MrMurphy wrote:I disagree, the Gurkhas have had quite a few VC's awarded.

Not sure how much they're paid but it in Nepal is basically a fortune, and they are HIGHLY regarded among British and any other allied forces, I've spoken to a few Gurkhas and mostly their Brit support troops back in '07 when a battalion of them came through homeward bound from Iraq.

That's not the point, they live train and work in the same bases and conditions as the rest but they have been paying them peanuts for years, and yet they are part of the British Army. The Army is pleased to have the prestige of the Ghurka's, but they are still not going to pay them as much as a young guy from Liverpool for doing the same job.
Vestiges of colonial attitude still remain when it comes to the "wogs". The little chap can have a medal to take back to his village. There's a good lad.
These men with their families are professional soldiers and do not live in Nepal.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I don't know the current set up for hiring the Gurhkas but I seem to remember they do get paid but also their country receives money for each one who is selected to serve. They are a tough people. One program on TV showed how they have competions to see who can qualify for the military system. One elder and highly respected former Gurhka was there to watch and also supervise. He had walked 1500 miles to get there. Seems it was the right thing to do. Just Saying...........One other thing springs to mind the British used Gurhkas in the Falklands Island blow up and Agentina was trying to say it violated the rules of warfare, too cruel to do to civilised troops. Seems their reputation is pretty powerful stuff. ATB
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Carlsen Highway wrote:

That's not the point, they live train and work in the same bases and conditions as the rest but they have been paying them peanuts for years, and yet they are part of the British Army. The Army is pleased to have the prestige of the Ghurka's, but they are still not going to pay them as much as a young guy from Liverpool for doing the same job.
Vestiges of colonial attitude still remain when it comes to the "wogs". The little chap can have a medal to take back to his village. There's a good lad.
These men with their families are professional soldiers and do not live in Nepal.
The Brits treat their Men better than the Maori are treated in your country :wink: Best take a look in your backyard before dumping on the Crown..or, is that the point?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Guys we don't need to add to this powder keg. There isn't a nation that doesn't have regrets. The South African Township system was sadly modelled directly to the Canadian Indian Act.

We all have other things to be proud of as well. I once told a retired British Officer wounded and decorated at El Alamien [sp] that my family did not like British Officers. Without hesitation he replied, "British Officers didn't like Canadian Ranks until the shooting started. We slept better knowing they were on our flank."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Canuck Bob wrote:Guys we don't need to add to this powder keg. There isn't a nation that doesn't have regrets. The South African Township system was sadly modelled directly to the Canadian Indian Act.

We all have other things to be proud of as well. I once told a retired British Officer wounded and decorated at El Alamien [sp] that my family did not like British Officers. Without hesitation he replied, "British Officers didn't like Canadian Ranks until the shooting started. We slept better knowing they were on our flank."
Exactly... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

This document provides some insight into the background of the British Brigade of Gurkhas and their conditions of service:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... dqDXqV4ZSw
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
CarlsenHighway
Levergunner

Post by CarlsenHighway »

BlaineG wrote:
Carlsen Highway wrote:

The Brits treat their Men better than the Maori are treated in your country :wink: Best take a look in your backyard before dumping on the Crown..or, is that the point?

That's both complete bullshit Blaine, and an utterly astounding thing for an American to say. I'm a bit gobsmacked actually.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

An amazing story of Courage, truely humbling

regards Jacko
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CarlsenHighway wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Carlsen Highway wrote:

That's both complete bullshit Blaine, and an utterly astounding thing for an American to say. I'm a bit gobsmacked actually.
Good. I'm sure you're upset. A brief glance without counting actual names shows that about a third or so of the VCs went to Gurkhas...an astounding number considering how small they are.( The Gurkhas seem to have numbered between 8000 and 3000 over the years) I worked with and around Brits and Gurkhas numerous times at Eight Army/UNC HQ and I can tell you, without guessing, that the Brits love their Gurkhas more than life, and the Gurkhas consider their calling a complete and total honor. To make racist remarks about the British is uncalled for. BTW, we're talking current events, not a history class. When is a Maori going to be the Top Dog in your country? Our POTUS might be an idiot, but it shows that anyone can do anything in this country. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

I had the pleasure of training with them back in the 60's, I do find it rather unusual that he wasn't carrying the Kuk, those "gentlemen" seem to have them with them even during sleep, and from what I was told by several of them,, then,, that when they retire it's back to Nepal for them to live out their lives on the pension like kings in their country, I have seen the work done with a Kuk, and it is amazing the amount of dexterity they have with them.

Not to demean or knock our own, but when reading the acounts of the DSC, VC awardees, it appears that the British have drawn a tuffer standard they we have, for a Nation who has been in the world for as long has issued less of them then we have the MH
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

BlaineG wrote: ......... A brief glance without counting actual names shows that about a third or so of the VCs went to Gurkhas...an astounding number considering how small they are.( The Gurkhas seem to have numbered between 8000 and 3000 over the years.

Since its inception in 1856, only 1356* Victoria Crosses have beem awarded. 26 of these went to members of Gurkha units and 13 to Gurkha soldiers.

In the post WWII era, 16 awards have been made including one to a Gurkha.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bruce Scott wrote:
BlaineG wrote: ......... A brief glance without counting actual names shows that about a third or so of the VCs went to Gurkhas...an astounding number considering how small they are.( The Gurkhas seem to have numbered between 8000 and 3000 over the years.

Since its inception in 1856, only 1356* Victoria Crosses have beem awarded. 26 of these went to members of Gurkha units and 13 to Gurkha soldiers.

In the post WWII era, 16 awards have been made including one to a Gurkha.
I was in error, you are correct. :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Blaine, plainly you don't know a thing about Maori people. I am not sure why you bring up NZ considering the US record, I rather think you should be crying in the corner just at the thought...but perhaps you have NZ people confused with Australians and the Aborigini's, in which case I forgive you.

I read through the link posted earlier and I see that they have addressed the pay disparity for Ghurka soldiers in 2007, so I may be out of date. (Although I do wonder at the phrase "broadly compatable" and at how their pay is based on the Indian army rates with the rest made up of special allowances. It pays to keep ones cynicism handy when talking about Poms and race matters in my experience.)
Mark Twain
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

considering the US record, I rather think you should be crying in the corner just at the thought...
Go to hell... :wink: You People have your own shameful history to attend to..and like I said, this is current events, not a history lesson.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I believe 11 VC's were awarded at Rorke's Drift, the single largest mass awardings of VC's ever.

And back in the days of the British-Indian army, etc Gurkha officers from all i've read, went to Gurkha units and never left (regimental system), and they didn't send them the worst.

I remember reading of one British Gurkha officer in WW1. German MG nest was pinning down his guys, they were probably coming from/going to a night trench raid and were exposed on the battlefield.

He low crawled under fire a considerable distance to the MG nest undetected. Jumps INTO the nest (Six man crew) and singlehandedly took all six out. Shot three with his Webley, kukri'd the other three.

I think he was worthy of his posting.