OT: The Dark Tower

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Harmonica
Levergunner

OT: The Dark Tower

Post by Harmonica »

For any fans of Stephen King's The Dark Tower and anyone who happened to get into the Marvel comic series last year, the story continues for 5 more issues starting March 5......
http://www.marvel.com/comics/dark_tower
Last edited by Harmonica on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Interesting. I didn't even know there WAS a comic book series.

I still have to find and read the latest 2 in the book series.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Never could get into that.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Loved it.

Though, I did think King copped out at the end.

I bet he got sick of writing the darn thing.

The whole alternate reality thing was cool, as was the Gunslinger's handywork!
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT: The Dark Tower

Post by WyrTwister »

Harmonica wrote:For any fans of Stephen King's The Dark Tower and anyone who happened to bet into the Marvel comic series last year, the story continues for 5 more issues starting March 5......
http://www.marvel.com/comics/dark_tower
I read about half of the 10 books and listened to the rest on audio book . I reccomend the audio books when I am traveling . Much better than listening to the radio . After a while , the radio just turns into noise .

I agree , I think King copped out on the ending of book 10 . :-(

The first book was the best , I think .

God bless
Wyr
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I loved comic books when I was young....spiderman, fantastic four, swamp thing, Sgt. Rock, Iron Man......but my sons don't care for them.

I tried reading one of these new "graphic novels" which is just comic books for adults but I did not care for them.

Wm
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've never been a huge Stephen King fan. I read the first three books in the Dark Tower series then gave up on him. Some of his non-horror stuff is okay. His attention to technical detail is lacking IMOH, almost like he isn't into doing research, just wants to write a story. But typically, I'm tired of a writer's style after reading 3 or 4 of his books anyway. That's just me. Has there ever been or will there ever be any movies based on the DT series?
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I read the first 3 of the series but he took so long writing them I lost interest.
I used to really like his stuff but he changed style about 15 years ago. Or maybe I changed?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I read the first 3 of the series but he took so long writing them I lost interest.
I am with ya on this one. I LOVED them but the wait just killed it. I may have to just pick them back up now though.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I never got into those type of books, I've read Misery which scared the Jeepers outa me. I also read Dragons Eye which he wrote for his daughter.

I enjoy a good fantasy trilogy with all the magic and different characters. It's
easier to get out of this reality (relaxing) if you jump into another one.

I really enjoy Stephen R. Donaldson, Raymond E. Feist, and Terry Brooks.

If you ever need to get away for a little bit these are the best. Most characters
are of the utmost fidelity, honesty, and general character. Very enjoyable reading.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I like Dean Koontz, I think his stories are far more enjoyable than King's. Plus Koontz likes to put in guns to use in many of his books.

Steve
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

+1 on Stephen Donaldson.

He has two three-book series on the same character, they are so vivid and enthralling, they really pull you into them. Reading these I had many of those "blackout" experiences where you are just sitting there staring at the pages and turning them, imagining the whole story as if it's a direct link. You are hardly aware you are even reading a book, and before you know it, three hours have passed and you were just sort of tripping along with the storyline. Very good quality and rich reading here.

Good stuff, and very worthy characters.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Love that series. I didnt know there was a comic.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

I read the first three when they came out and havn't read any since. I should get them on tape. My wife and I are going to Gulf Shores Alabama in a few weeks and it would be nice to listen to them on the way there and back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jay
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't know there was a comic book either.

Read the first three and kinda forgot about'em waiting on the others.

Terry Brook, Market Weiss, RA Salvatore and several others are good fictional writers, IMHO.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Scott64A wrote:+1 on Stephen Donaldson.

He has two three-book series on the same character, they are so vivid and enthralling, they really pull you into them. Reading these I had many of those "blackout" experiences where you are just sitting there staring at the pages and turning them, imagining the whole story as if it's a direct link. You are hardly aware you are even reading a book, and before you know it, three hours have passed and you were just sort of tripping along with the storyline. Very good quality and rich reading here.

Good stuff, and very worthy characters.
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, a true masterpiece.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.