Ran the in the Winter Biathlon Yesterday! (picture heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Ran the in the Winter Biathlon Yesterday! (picture heavy)

Post by Old No7 »

Some of you may remember that I’ve been “in training” physically and with the ‘ol .45-caliber smokepole to run in a Primitive Winter Biathlon this winter. My twin and I ran it yesterday and it was a total “blast” –- pun intended!

“Period Clothing” was encouraged, but not required –- but they didn’t mention “which period”. So... I went as a Civil War veteran, as it’s more akin to my interests in history and firearms, even though I do like stories of the mountain men and all. That’s my late father’s original 1864 Ames cavalry sword that I’m carrying on a handmade sword belt. The wool Union kepi came from an army surplus store (not bad quality at all for just $8 bucks, "Made in China" too), and the replica wool Federal Vest (with gold eagle buttons) came from ebay (was hand sewn to my size -- in Pakistan of all places), as did the Sergeant's chevrons (those were US-made at least). The black cloth shooting pouch came from the army surplus store too, but I turned it inside out so the Velcro pockets sewn on the outside wouldn’t be seen for this event. The medium blue shirt, while not authentic, contrasted well with the navy blue vest and kepi and that came from the Salvation Army store for just $3 bucks –- so at least I had something "official Army” on me! :)
Winter Biathlon 2012 (3) sm.jpg
I had originally planned to hand the old sword off to my wife just before my run started, but I got a lot of comments and complements about it and it just “felt right” to have a part of my dad along with me. The starter was very surprised that I would dare take an antique sword out into the woods, but I showed him it wasn’t in pristine condition anyway. Plus, I mentioned this run would be “a lot tamer” than what it was probably involved about in 148 years ago, and he couldn’t argue with that logic! Turns out, I was the very first Civil War shooter they'd had at this event. The rest were mountain men or some other primitive clothing, along with a healthy mix of wool plaids or camo hunting gear. So there I was, all ready to run –- on antique rawhide snowshoes too! Luckily, I had laced some steel "ice grippers" under the ball of my foot, and those helped on a few icy patches. And they couldn't be seen when my boot was tied into the leather harness.

The host club did a great job at running this annual event, and I was very impressed with their facility, as it was my first time there. The infamous “Dalton Gang” of Dalton NH (about 1 hour north of North Conway, up past Whitefield) had a great cowboy action street setup for different shooting scenarios, complete with swinging steel targets. We plan to go back and watch one of their events later this year, as it looks great. We used one of those venues to take a few practice shots before we started. I was pretty pumped, as I hit every mark on the back berm (50 yards out maybe?) that I was aiming to hit.
Winter Biathlon 2012 (5) sm.jpg
Here’s my twin brother, dressed as a mid-1700’s Frenchie, taking a practice shot with his .60-caliber smoothbore "Club Butt" Fowler. He calls this one “Butt Ugly” and that seems very appropriate, but man, he and that thing will shoot!!! :shock: Maybe it’s the loooooooooong 48” barrel (that's longer than my entire rifle!), but he does much better without a rear sight -– or any rifling or percussion caps -– than most of the rifle shooters do, myself included! Maybe that's because he’s about two feet closer to the targets than I was! He really shoots that ugly old gun very well.
Winter Biathlon 2012 (7) sm.jpg
I missed a few targets I shoot have hit, but I blame that on being out of breath, despite all my training and running over the last many months… I took right off at the start and charged up the hill! (Not swinging the sword -- although that would have looked cool!) I basically wiped myself out on the first half of the course -- as it was all uphill… I should have paced myself much better and saved some energy reserves, as the last half of the course was all downhill. I originally called that a “tactical error” on my part, as I’d never run the course before, until afterwards when my twin brother admitted “Oh yeah bro, I forgot to tell you about that…”. So gee, turns out he won the bet we had -– this year! Next year, I’ll train even harder on hills and know just what to expect. Here’s the sneaky ba*tard on the way to his winning our bet, making his way along the bottom of the course, where my wife was waiting to take some pix of us.
Winter Biathlon 2012 (10) sm.jpg
These digital cameras don’t like to focus on the object of your attention, when something up close catches "their" attention. This one is out of focus, sorry, but shows you how 1 or 2 scorers were at each shooting station to mark your scores and keep the line safe.
Winter Biathlon 2012 (11) sm.jpg
As my twin’s been doing this for a number of years with some buddies, you’ll see he’s even gone to the trouble of getting “period correct” eyeglasses. Very interesting... As I though “dorks” were a fairly recent invention… :wink:
Winter Biathlon 2012 (12) sm.jpg
Here is yours truly coming around the mountain out of breath, but still moving…
Winter Biathlon 2012 (13) sm.jpg
I got really excited at the last shooting station when I hit the first of the small 3”x6” steel swingers set out at 50 yards –- nice! -- so then I went and missed the next two. Oh well, I will try harder next year!
Winter Biathlon 2012 (14) sm.jpg
In a mad dash to the finish line, you can see the determination on my face... That, or the cold... Here you can see the gold “US” belt buckle that I added to the shooting pouch, it was heavy, but actually helped to stabilize the light cloth bag, as that held only 20 paper tubes with powder, some extra patches and some tools (nipple wrench, patch worm and ball screw). The 3 pockets on the vest were helpful, as I kept cleaning patches and a "T" short starter in one lower pocket, the ball board (preloaded with 10 patched round balls) and a palm saver were in the other lower pocket. Then I kept a capper, with nipple pick and an extended cleaning jag in the upper chest pocket. I had black cords tied on those tools, but I didn't drop anything despite the pressure of being "on the clock". Note the blue poly glove liners and fingerless wool gloves, plus the poly neck wrap keeping my ears warm. It was about 20 degrees out with c-c-c-cold 20mph winds, so it was pretty challenging conditions. Lots of fun though!
Winter Biathlon 2012 (16) sm.jpg
Finally, here we are together after we’d both run the course. We’re both smiling, so I guess that means something! My rifle is a .45 caliber T/C Cherokee, with a hunting tang sight on the rear. Slings were for "carrying" only, not as a shooting aid, but I didn't use mine for that. I ran with one hand holding the rifle, and after getting the sword caught between my legs on one funky turn of the course, I ended up holding the sword in the other hand too. It's funny how two identical twins born only 14 minutes apart and 45 days early (he was 3.5 pounds and I was only 2.5) would end up with two “personas” that are 100+ years apart… But I guess that’s cause we are alike in so many ways, that we strive to be different from the other when we can. One thing's for sure, we both agree that we had a great time and will do it again!
Winter Biathlon 2012 (18) sm.jpg
All in all, it was a great day and a successful venture at dressing in period clothing while not making a total fool of myself. Sure, I wish I’d shot better and posted a faster time, but now I have something to aim for next year. ("Aim small, miss small") The health benefits of all the exercise and weight loss over the last seven months are pretty cool too, and my wife and I have now set new goals to lose yet another five pounds each and get in better shape for the beach days that lie ahead (soon we hope!). And then when it finally is beach/boating time, I can look ahead to winter 2013 and I will train and prepare even harder to whoop my twin’s butt this time -– "Butt Ugly" and all!

Thanks for looking!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Hobie

Re: Ran the in the Winter Biathlon Yesterday! (picture heavy)

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Cool report! Thanks for the post. :)

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Inspiring...! 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

wow, nice job.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Love your write up. Congrats on what sounds like an awsome event.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looks like y'all had fun. :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

That was good reading & the pics were great.
Very enjoyable. Thanks much.
Hayabusa
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

No.7...this is one of the very best posts I've seen in all the years I've been on this site...congrats Pard...you did just fine Pard.

Glad you're on this site....

LB
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks,

Kevin
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Great narrative and the last picture of your brother and yourself and is destined to be a family treasure. Congratulations on completing the event.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Very nice!! Thanks for posting!!

Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good! Congrats on your finish and showin' up! Outdoor activities in that weather is enough of a challenge to keep the vast majority indoors! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Awesome :mrgreen: thanks for sharing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Great story, thanks for sharing your experience.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is just too cool!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Outstanding!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's just cool and to do it with your twin brother, priceless. Make sure and report back on next years challenge.
Old Law Dawg
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks to all for your kind comments! Much appreciated.

I'll share those with my twin (and maybe edit out the "dork" comment :wink: ).

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Great story and great pictures No 7. Judging by the size of that grin on your face I'd say it will be mid April before that goes away.

Y'all done good ! Congratulations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pitchy wrote:Awesome :mrgreen: thanks for sharing. 8)
+ 1...really enjoyed the write up.. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Very interesting!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good job!
Great post/keep it up! :D
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Way to go.
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Enjoyed those pics :D