Your preferred load, grips, holster, and usage for S&W 329PD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Your preferred load, grips, holster, and usage for S&W 329PD

Post by Bosco »

I am interested to hear what your experience is with the S&W 329PD is. It seems to be the best fit for what I was recently certain was going to be a .44 Special proposition.
What are your preferred grips and what are they used for?
What is your preferred load and what is its purpose?
What is your preferred city and field holster?
What purpose does the weapon serve?

If anyone would like to bash this weapon as a poor choice for anything on earth, that would be welcome also. I want to go in "eyes wide open". As of now I am looking at calling Bud's Guns in the next few days to get one ordered.

Thank you in advance, Bosco

NRA Endowment Member
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Your preferred load, grips, holster, and usage for S&W 329PD

Post by Paladin »

I have been using blazer .44spl 200 Gr Gold Dots as my carry load (We are not allowed to carry reloads in any weapon Department approved for use on/off duty). They shoot great out of mine.
In the field I carry the first round CCI Birdshot then .44spl with three 240 gr magnum loads or heaver to fill the last holes with some Safari Land Comp speed loaders with the blazer or Mags in them.
With Pachmeyer grips with the rubber over the back strap as in the photo.
With this holster for both uses if I can wear a jacket.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc13r2.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Excellent. Thank you.
Looks like a great combination and similar to what I do with my 629 MG. now. I will likely try those grips.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Check out the Heavy .44 special and Reduced Recoil .44 magnum loads from Buffalo Bore. I've been eying this pistol for a while, and they seem to be the most popular loads for it.

Here's a good article from Gunblast.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW329PD.htm

My purpose for this pistol would be as a woods gun, capable for any 2- or 4-legged critter in N. America. The low weight would make it ideal to carry all day, though probably not comfortable in full magnum loads as a range shooter.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

My son guides/dog handles/hunts lions here in Wyoming.. carrys a 329 when up country. He uses Winchester white box factory 240 ammo.. he really likes this light carry pistol.. killed one tom with it in a close quarter scrap with the dogs.. I have shot this pistol/ammo combo and while it gets your attention, is very useable.. I have the same pistol in stainless, the 629 and should have bought the 329 when they were a little more affordable... hindesite??? Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I've had three 329s and one has been my everyday carry and bow hunting backup gun since 2005. I gave one to my son which he uses exclusively as his hunting backup gun.

The beauty of the 329 (in addition to its light weight) is that it can be loaded to a power level that will match the threat in the area you frequent (or other uses).

Mine is loaded with H110 and 260gr WFNGCs from Montana Bullet Works http://www.montanabulletworks.com/ . Good combination of power and the short crimp to nose is an extra safeguard against bullet jump tying up the gun.

If you do decide on the 329, you may want to remove/disable “the lock”. You need to make sure that the bullets of your chosen carry ammo aren’t moving under recoil. You should also shoot it (or any other new S&W) to ensure your firing pin provides absolutely reliable ignition. Loc tite (the Blue variety) the thumbpiece screw and frequently check (or loc tite) to make sure the ejector rod is not loosening under recoil (same goes for all screws). The Hogue 500 X Frame grips are a must in my opinion http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_N .

The 329 has been my constant companion for the last 5+ years, and I wouldn’t be without one – it provides the power to weight ratio that most fits my daily needs. For everyday use, I carry it strong side in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake http://www.simplyrugged.com/ . When bow hunting I carry it cross draw in a Bianchi Cyclone (light weight, well made, and versatile) http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-111 ... 12682.html . Both holsters can be worn strong side or cross draw.

Paul
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

I got off the fence and bought one today. Your advice is now even more valuable.
Thank you,

Bosco
NRA Endowment Member
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

BOSCO,

Forgot to mention this above. You also need to make sure the strain screw is tight and stays that way. It is located at the bottom front of the grip frame. It places tension on the mainspring and light firing pin hits and misfires will result if this screw backs out.

Paul
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Thank you.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Really? a S&W?? Well, hopefully you never encounter a wolf, bear, an angry moose, or agiated badger in your travels, I don't want to have to post on here, well, if only he would have purchased the right gun.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Marlin32 - which would be your preferred choice? I prefer Smith double actions and the version at center focus on this thread seems to be perfect for the purpose stated. Would like to hear your thoughts. thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Actually, I was just jabbing BOSCO a bit, know him well, a bit of light hearted ribbing.
But the S&W would probably not be first on my list. I would have probably went with a Ruger, but would have to give all of the specifications some thought.

My primary thought was to build your own sort of from Gary Reeder. But if not wanting to spend that kind of money, then I have to start thinking.

I am not a huge S&W fan, (the older guns maybe, but not the modern ones)
But that said, considering a S&W airweight myself in 32 H&R, because it meets some of criteria I want in a carry gun so go figure.
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Marlin32,
Now that I have my head clear I can begin consideration of a custom Reeder build. I ought to have at least one built the way a want it, eh?