Another great reason to skip the Super Bowl

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Another great reason to skip the Super Bowl

Post by Bill in Oregon »

As if Madonna doing the half time show weren't enough, Michael Bloomberg and his fellow mayor of Boston will run a gun-control ad.
YUCK!

:evil:
bdhold

Re: Another great reason to skip the Super Bowl

Post by bdhold »

ok, I'll boycott for that and head to the river
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Now this is truly frightening:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- ... 23821.html

I thought this was the intent of SOPA, which failed in Congress, yet the government is going ahead. Surprise, surprise.
Let's see, exactly which part of the Constitution grants the federal government this power? Help me. I can't seem to find it.

While many sports fans are preparing for Sunday's Super Bowl by organizing parties and shopping for TVs, the U.S. government is preparing in a different way. Just yesterday, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency seized 307 different domains suspected of violating NFL copyrights. Of those, 16 were suspected of illegal streaming. The rest were allegedly selling counterfeit NFL merchandise.

The seizure was conducted under U.S. civil law, not criminal law. That means the affected parties need to prove that the internet domains were not engaging in illegal activity to get them back — an ugly mirror image of the country's usual "innocent until proven guilty" right. Many of the domains were not being operated by U.S. groups.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bill in Oregon wrote:As if Madonna doing the half time show weren't enough, Michael Bloomberg and his fellow mayor of Boston will run a gun-control ad.
YUCK!

:evil:
I saw that news yesterday. Yes, it turned my stomach and I'm seriously considering boycotting the TV tomorrow night as well. May go coyote and hog hunting in protest.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, the thing about the big show is,

Who cares about watching a bunch of buff guys pass around a tanned piece of leather? There's a football game to watch...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One cool thing is that the Homeland Security and FBI are installing hidden cameras, audio monitors, and metal detectors everywhere around the city, and we're going to be fortunate enough that they will leave much of the 'security' apparatus in place after the SuperBowl.

I don't go to downtown Indianapolis unless I have a very good reason, and we don't watch television, but from the FreeTalkLive.com radio show I understand there are nifty portable 'observation towers' with all kinds of technology where the LEO's can sit behind bullet-proof tinted glass and monitor the masses.

It will be interesting to hear more of these things over time from my LEO patients. Many of them are just as disgusted with the 'police-state' mindset of our government as the rest of us (although if that is the case, whey they continue to work for these organizations I don't know).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:One cool thing is that the Homeland Security and FBI are installing hidden cameras, audio monitors, and metal detectors everywhere around the city, and we're going to be fortunate enough that they will leave much of the 'security' apparatus in place after the SuperBowl.
"Cool" is not the doublespeak word for it I would use...
...I understand there are nifty portable 'observation towers' with all kinds of technology where the LEO's can sit behind bullet-proof tinted glass and monitor the masses.
You mean the portable Prison Guntowers?
It will be interesting to hear more of these things over time from my LEO patients. Many of them are just as disgusted with the 'police-state' mindset of our government as the rest of us ...
Ghod I hope so...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah - I should have use a 'sarcasm' smiley with the word "cool"... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I fired off an email to NBC and to the NFL. Will follow that up with one to the NRA. Curious to see how the NRA handles this. Hoping my dues go to something worth while.

Going to send some off to the major advitisers as well.

I urge everyone to do the same.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I also saw a news blurb today that Fox was banning the advertisement of hunting and ammunition related items. That's asinine when you think about how many dollars there are available in those markets.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

vancelw wrote:I also saw a news blurb today that Fox was banning the advertisement of hunting and ammunition related items. That's asinine when you think about how many dollars there are available in those markets.
Faux news... Faux Conservatism...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'd say the NFL is about to let those fool mayors poke a bunch of their fans in the eye. Not very bright... I won't watch any of the game. In fact, I'll try to get a list of sponsors, and write each to let them know I won't patronize their products. The only way to make these morons at the NFL understand their error of their ways is to hit them in their wallets. :evil:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I'd say the NFL is about to let those fool mayors poke a bunch of their fans in the eye. Not very bright... I won't watch any of the game. In fact, I'll try to get a list of sponsors, and write each to let them know I won't patronize their products. The only way to make these morons at the NFL understand their error of their ways is to hit them in their wallets. :evil:
Share the list, and I'll join ya. I don't drink Anheiser-Busch products anyway! But the rest of them can do without my dollars also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

I watched the game. Did not see any anti gun ads but there were a number of interesting ones.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

w30wcf wrote:I watched the game. Did not see any anti gun ads but there were a number of interesting ones.

w30wcf
agreed. Though none were particularly clever.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

AJMD429 wrote:One cool thing is that the Homeland Security and FBI are installing hidden cameras, audio monitors, and metal detectors everywhere around the city, and we're going to be fortunate enough that they will leave much of the 'security' apparatus in place after the SuperBowl.

I don't go to downtown Indianapolis unless I have a very good reason, and we don't watch television, but from the FreeTalkLive.com radio show I understand there are nifty portable 'observation towers' with all kinds of technology where the LEO's can sit behind bullet-proof tinted glass and monitor the masses.

It will be interesting to hear more of these things over time from my LEO patients. Many of them are just as disgusted with the 'police-state' mindset of our government as the rest of us (although if that is the case, whey they continue to work for these organizations I don't know).
My fellow doctor - I'm glad there are others sharing my concerns about increasing surveilance that is taking place -

My answer to an email I got last week -

Thanks for the info - troubling - though not as troubling to me as something that came out in the WSJ last week. In his SOTU address, Obama boasted that GM benefited from the bailout and is now the "leading" auto maker in the world –

Ford, on the other hand, opted out of getting bailout finds - contrary to Obama's speech claiming he had "bailed out" the auto industry and it was doing fine - and used that info in their adds - UNTIL THE WHITE HOUSE PUT A STOP TO THAT !!!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report- ... ama-admin/

I thought things like that only happened in dictatorships -

Another very good column I read regularly (Claire Wolfe - Enemy at the Gate - SWAT magazine - current issue) reports there has been an addition to the TSA - that spends needless hours and dollars with expensive equipment and personnel searching airline passengers literally down to the skin (talk about locking the barn door after the horse is stolen!!). It goes by the acronym of VIPR - pronounce it as viper - stands for Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response - to do random checks on passengers for train and bus passengers..

In 2009, there were ten VIPR teams. By 2011, 25 teams conducted thousands of random searches that cost the taxpayers $30 million. For 2012, the TSA has asked congress to authorize a total of 37 VIPR teams at a cost of $110 million.

Has the VIPR team caught any single terrorist? NO. Is there any reason to believe they're likely to? NO.

Nazis started their police state in Germany prior to WW II just like that with SS troops ramdomly checking citizen's papers traveling on trains and busses and highways - a small increment at a time - I think it is past time for us to remind our republic type of government - who is in charge - and physically demonstrate that if needed.

Panic after 9/11 was understandable but, with the ridiculous and extensive and abusive searches that terrorist act led to certainly violate the protection the fourth amendment is supposed to provide us from unreasonable searches - and there's no reason to believe any of that has made us the least bit more safe - since the terrorists can't help but know of that and, if they are motivated - will use some other method for their attack on us.

We could be losing our democratic republic one small step at a time if we ignore all these little signals.
Last edited by OJ on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I heard one of the teams won... who played.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

w30wcf wrote:I watched the game. Did not see any anti gun ads but there were a number of interesting ones.

w30wcf
I didnt see the anti-gun ad . I watched all but the first 10 minutes.

Classic hard core football game that came down to the last possession. Pretty good way to end the season -- and i watch very little pro ball, as i much prefer collegiate sports.

Those of you who skipped it missed out on a good game (if you are football fans ---- if not , no big deal -- the Super Bowl brings out a ton of non fans who just like to go to parties too though)
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote:I heard one of the teams won... who played.
:lol: New York beat New England 21-17 in a game that came down to the last possession
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wonder if the Mayors for Victim Disarmament advert was only shown "locally"?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't spiked since the NRA isn't crowing today. The only place(s) I even heard about it other than here was the Washington Times & Blomberg's rag...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

From the point of view of one who played football in high school - even was on the "C" squad (scrub team used for practice - a step above blocking bags) at USMA West Point in 1945 - we had not one - but two Heisman trophy (Blanchard & Davis) winners on that team - I thought yesterday's Super Bowl was well played by both teams and the winner really earned it -

Best add by far was the Bud Light "Here we go" commercial - worth looking at if you missed it - but, I'm a sucker for trained dog performances.

My mind is on autopilot when commercials come on and blocks most out - my wife, OTOH, has to hit the mute button to block them for her - I attribute it to "age re;ated hearing and vision loss" - but she knows better.

My boxer girl prays - says grace before meals -
Last edited by OJ on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Old Ironsights - Like the Doc we don't watch TV either, but I had read that the "Victim Disarmament ad" was to be broadcast only in New England TV markets. Guess that was correct info.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I didn't see the idiot making his remarks and am glad I didn't. Wonder how many armed body guards he has around him??? There was supposed to be a rap star named M.I.A. with him during their appearance. Maybe she should be called R.I.P or better yet, D.O.A. and go away forever.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My dad played football in both high school and college (UNH), and his father was a professional football player (Goodyear Wingfoots) in the late 1910s early 1920s (why my dad was born in Akron, Ohio), and dad never liked modern football, said it turned into a totally different game from what he played pre-WWII. He discouraged me and my brother from organized sports so I've never been a jock. That being said I still watch a couple games a season usually the NFC-AFC championship games and the Superbowl. I enjoyed Sunday's game especially when New England came back from behind in the second quarter. Close but no cigar for NE my favored team. Didn't see any anti gun retoric, and the halftime show gave me a nice break (never a Madonna fan). DIsappointed in seeing no truly memorable commercials. I did enjoy the the movie trailer for "Battleship" which shows an alien attack on Hawai'i one seen showing the Kaneohe Marine Base (10 minutes away) being attacked by alien spheres. Gotta see that one! :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31