Christmas Cat - hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Christmas Cat - hunt

Post by 86er »

I've always wanted to get a bobcat for the taxidermist but I've never shot one until now. I've seen several while out in the woods and fields but they always appeared to be just over-sized house cats. I have a profound respect for all wild cats, so it is with mixed emotions that I report the killing of one today, this morning before Christmas. While deer hunting, I spotted this cat sneaking down a game trail. It was unusually larger compared to others I have seen and has a beautiful white accented face. I made sure it was a male. My 7-08 cracked and the cat jumped four feet in the air and disappeared from sight. I was sure the shot was true and the cat was dead. However, when I got to the spot where the cat was I could not find him. More searching revealed a blood trail. The blood trail was as pronounced as any deer would have made. Unbelievably, the cat went just over 100 yards! The entrance hole is undetectable and the exit is a mere dime sized round hole in the middle of the rib cage. The skin is not damaged and the cat is striking to me. He will get a place of honor in my trophy room. I will not shoot another bobcat as my quest was more than fulfilled.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Christmas Cat - hunt

Post by iceman »

Nice going!! They are hard enough to see in the wild let alone getting a shot at one. I have seen their tracks, but never the chance to see one.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good on ya, Joe. I've never seen any cat in the wild. I've only seen one cougar and that was a huge one that presented itself a very short three bounds across the road in front of me. We've got a ton of cats here you just don't see them and I've never set out just to get a cat. I really need to spend some time and get me a cougar. We've got such a rodent population that I don't think I'd shoot a Bobcat.
Old Law Dawg
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Good looking cat! He does have a lot of white on his ears. They are quite the hunter. Congrats on a quest fulfilled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good shot Joe, tough they are!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Nice Trophy Joe !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice! How old do you think it is? Just curious if bobcats are smaller down there, because in WI I would consider that one young because of it's size. It's spots are different than we see around here also. I'm not sure how many variety of bobcats there are across the U.S. What a great trophy!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Beauty cat. Just the size I'd like to have around the house. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Joe that will make a nice mount. I saw a really nice bobcat mount once but I can't remember where I saw it, Jr. saw it too so I know I'm not dreaming it. They had mounted a bobcat on a platform and they made it look like he had just busted up a covey of quail. Two of the quail were running on the ground while a third was just getting airborne. The bobcat was in the middle of making a strike with a front paw on the airborne quail. It was the kind of mount that made you just want to stand and study for a long time. Attention to detail was great.
Something to consider though, here in Fla. the native quail population is all but gone. The bobcat is one of the major causes of that. There are also numerous instances of a turkey hunter being pounced on while trying to call in a big gobbler. Yotes and bobcats are both predators competing for the game we want.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nice cat Joe, a little smaller than our north Arkansas cats. It will make a nice mount.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Wow, that's a great present! Nice shot!

The one I shot 10 years ago did the same thing -- was instantly "dead from lead poisoning" (a 40 gr VMax from a 222 Rem, going 3,400 fps at the muzzle!) -- and it jumped up 3' in the air, while letting out a wicked scream, and made it ~75 yards into the woods.

Glad to hear the 7-08 didn't ruin the pelt on you. Congrats!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Glad you got the critter. The rabbits and other small game and birds are also glad.
BTW, that muddy rut looks familiar - was that on the Honey Creek property?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A fine trophy Joe!
Beautiful animal and I know you will cherish that fine animal every time you look at it!
Congrats!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Joe...since you've decided that this is the only one, why not get a full mount to honor the old boy? Seems as if he deserves it as he is a fine old cat.

By the way...you know the old saw...think you could lick you weight in them???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas & Grats Pard on a fine trophy.

LB
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. Beautiful animal
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Never seen one in the woods before either, and I have called in foxes and coyotes. The one I have mounted over the TV was shot after crossing a road, and had a broken leg. A 44 mag Taurus Tracker 4" with a 240gr soft point put an end to it's suffering.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations Joe, cats are tough critters and I respect your decision to not shoot anymore they are indeed handsome animals.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Love the cats myself. Dad hates them. Views them as terrible turkey killers. Which they are, but there are bobcats here because there are a great number of turkey! (and other game)
As soon as CRP disappears, it will become rare again to see a bobcat in this neck of the woods.
I have had many opportunity to shoot one, just never done it. Would like one to mount also, some day maybe.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice trophy. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If You tried to Raise Game Birds You wouldn't mind shooting them. I had the fattest Bobcats around till I figured out what was eating My Birds. Something strange about Your Trophy !, No Ear tufts or that I can see.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif