Henry Big Boy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pathfinder
Levergunner

Henry Big Boy?

Post by Pathfinder »

Ok here comes my first questions (prefaced with some info) since I'm back here.

I Had a Marlin lever action in 44mag. Gave it to my nephew prior to my big departure. He just turned 21 and had been hunting with his dad's gun (a semi-auto 30.06..eewwww :roll: ). I figured the kid should have his own gun (and learn to appreciate a good gun) and knew he couldn't come up with the cash.

Anyway lo and behold I'm home and missing my lever gun so went out and treated myself and bought a Henry Big Boy in .44mag. I have been wanting one for a long time and just think they are a darn good looking rifle.

That being said;
  • Does anyone have any observations about the care and cleaning of this beauty? I get the basic gun maintenance stuff but any special considerations? I have never owned a "Safe Queen" so this gun is gonna hunt. Therefore; get dirty.
    Does it seem to like a certain type load? I hunt (and live) in the Northern part of the state (NY Catskill & ADK mountains, etc.). Your typical White Tail & Black bear are the biggest thing I'll be shooting at. I figure pretty much anything 44mag will put a coyote down so that easy.
    Anyone using or have thoughtful observations about the cantilevered scope mount they have on the Henry site? these eyes are still good but the idea of an optic as I'm getting older is getting more attractive.
    Any Big Boy shooters with other useful info for a new owner?
Thanks in advance for the help folks.
"Better that you bring me tobacco in prison than flowers to the cemetery". - Spanish Legion saying

OR

"I'm not mean, you're just a sissy."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: Henry Big Boy?

Post by hightime »

I'm sure it's a great gun. I am a bit ticked about the coating to keep the brass nice as it wears off and looks bad after a while. I'd rather polish the bass now and then.

Owen
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Don't know for sure, but I'd bet Brasso or NeverDull will keep the receiver shiney bright if that's what you want. Actually, I find the aged patina on a Henry to be gorgeous, YMMV.

rimrock
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hightime wrote:I'm sure it's a great gun. I am a bit ticked about the coating to keep the brass nice as it wears off and looks bad after a while. I'd rather polish the bass now and then.
Owenv
rimrock wrote:Don't know for sure, but I'd bet Brasso or NeverDull will keep the receiver shiney bright if that's what you want. Actually, I find the aged patina on a Henry to be gorgeous, YMMV.
rimrock
Huge difference between a "Henry" and the abomination called the "Big Boy". But then, maybe that's my prejudice show'n thru! :twisted:

Actually, I hear good things about the company and their customer service. Just can't stand what I view as their false advertising. They ain't, never have been, nor will they ever be a true "Henry" company in my opinion.

The thru the mag tube loading like most lever .22s leaves me cold in a hunting gun. Theroetically, you shouldn't ever need to "top" off the mag, but... having to twist the cap, remove the follower and spring to load one more is wasted motion IMO. A true "Henry" ain't much different, but I wouldn't be using my 1860 Henry clone for hunting when I have what I view as a stronger action in the Rossi mdl 92. For convienence's sake, loading an additional round or two thru the loading gate in the side of the receiver is just so much more practical.

The only experience I observed is in cowboy action shooting. And, it being a speed game, the Henry "Big Boy" is all bluster and thumbs. Slow, cumbersome, and prone to be finicky in how it's operated. Now, since the only people that seem to have them are new; the few I've seen are not reloaders; some of that may be laid off on ammo selection and unfamiliarity with the gun and the game in general.

YMMV.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Whatever you clean it with, make sure it doesn't contain ammonia.. That stuff is hard on brass or bronze.. I'd get rid of the coating, and let it get a little dull and dark.. The Big Boy is too bright and shiny for a hunting rifle.
As has been mentioned, they are also heavier than necessary for a .44 mag, and tend to have all the operational finesse and grace of a broken gate-post.. just my opinion..(for which I will be roundly excoriated, I'm certain.. But I don't care...)
The "Henry" company does seem a bit full of itself, having no real connection to B.T. Henry & Co.. the lockwork in the Big Boy is marginally-modified Marlin.
They even advertized that the Big Boy was SASS-legal, long before the SASS board approved it, causing some problems with Big Boy shooters... Sights leave much to be desired.. OK.. I'm done, but there is more..
Enjoy it, if that's what trips your trigger...
:D :( :o :shock: :wink: :!:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:The thru the mag tube loading like most lever .22s leaves me cold in a hunting gun.
Funny you should say that, but I actually prefer that over the side/receiver loading ones, as if you come in with stiff cold fingers and fogged glasses, it's a heck of alot faster and easier and probably safer, to unload the gun, vs. cycling all the rounds through the action.

As you said, 'YMMV'.

Of course, the BEST .44 Mag guns are the Ruger 96's, with their 4-shot flush-fitting detachable box-magazines... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I don't find it necessary to unload when I come in.. Simply opening the action will usually suffice, or just clearing the chamber.. Maybe it isn't by "the Book" but my firearms are always loaded, and every gun should be considered as such..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Buck Elliott wrote:Whatever you clean it with, make sure it doesn't contain ammonia.. That stuff is hard on brass or bronze.. I'd get rid of the coating, and let it get a little dull and dark.. The Big Boy is too bright and shiny for a hunting rifle.
Buck, you are exactly correct. Ammonia will crack cold-worked (formed) brass.
TX PE No. 75665
If the coating is a lacquer, acetone will remove it. Just be careful about possible plastic components - keep acetone away from them.
There are stronger organic solvents that will remove any coating, but you shouldn't mess with them without chem gloves and good ventilation.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I surely ain't tryin' to start anything, and I appreciate any and all expertise around here, but are any of the above posters owners/shooters of a Big Boy? I'm not interested in the politics or business stuff (SASS or usage of the "Henry" name). Jes fer my own info., I'd want feedback from someone that actually toted one through the cold woods fer a while...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pathfinder
Levergunner

Post by Pathfinder »

mikld wrote:I surely ain't tryin' to start anything, and I appreciate any and all expertise around here, but are any of the above posters owners/shooters of a Big Boy? I'm not interested in the politics or business stuff (SASS or usage of the "Henry" name). Jes fer my own info., I'd want feedback from someone that actually toted one through the cold woods fer a while...
BINGO!!!

Thanks for the response one and all.

Seems like a very anti Henry Big Boy response across the board. that's kind of unfortunate/ disappointing.

My observations to what's been written are:

I have zero interest in the Henry true to form name game. I think that anyone who was looking for a historically correct gun would certainly be doing some research and I'm glad that the info was mentioned.

The sights conversation is of interest if they are truly bad. Like are there alternatives/ replacements? It's ok to criticize them but also please offer an alternative.

Loading through the tube VS a gate is also of no concern as the 10 rds. should be more than sufficient for hunting. This is not a self defense gunfighting gun. I'm thinking if I need to do a speed reload the I have failed from the start. There are much better options for that situation.

The weight is a moot point since that's relative. I've been humping much heavier rigs than that for that for a long time.

I don't Cowboy shoot so again; for me it's not relevant.

Like Buck Elliot said I do not unload my guns when I come in from the hunt. YES I do secure the gun. However, if I were to do so it would seem to me that the tube magazine is easier to dump than running the lever until empty.

The action on this Henry is HANDS DOWN smoother than I recall my Marlin's was.

Good info regarding the coating... I guess I didn't even realize there was a coating on it so I'm gonna have to consider the removal..... hmmm.

Like "mikld" said; I'm not trying to stir the pot here or seem ungrateful to the responders, but do any of the responders actually or have they actually owned one? Or am I reading regurgitated information (hearsay)? I realize that non owners will have likely done quality research and I do not want to discourage any information since it all is fair for consideration.

So again Thank you for ALL the responses. Feel free to add more.

PS_ anyone have any comments on the non politics issues I asked about? Like:

Ammo choices
The cantilever scope mount
etc...
Pathfinder
Last edited by Pathfinder on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Better that you bring me tobacco in prison than flowers to the cemetery". - Spanish Legion saying

OR

pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Buck Elliott wrote:I don't find it necessary to unload when I come in.. Simply opening the action will usually suffice, or just clearing the chamber.. Maybe it isn't by "the Book" but my firearms are always loaded, and every gun should be considered as such..
I am with you. ALL my firearms are loaded, All the time. Never any chance of "I THOUGHT IT WAS UNLOADED!" Thar are loaded and then they are treated as loaded.
sullkat

Post by sullkat »

Mine is about four years old and not more than 300 rounds through it. But I shot a mixture of various factory brands and there were no issues with any and accuracy was excellent.
The action is very smooth right out of the box.
I am sure it won't look as attractive after a few trips to the woods.
The rear sights are terrible, I got mine before they started the D&T for a scope, I have been waiting 8 months for a vernier tang sight
I ordered from jeffs and they are still on B/O but that is what I use on all my rifles and I like them.
The stock is plastic looking, looks like it may have a clear-coat on it and may look ugly if scratched.
I prefer all my Rossi's and Taylors over the Henry, however you can shoot +P ammo in the Henry not the others.(just going by what the reps from LSI and Taylors told me)
Not a big deal but I don't care for the gold highlighted lettering on the barrel.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I don't own a Henry Big Boy. But I own a number of other Henry Rifles and have handled and coveted the Big Boy a number of times. I like Henry Rifles, especially their very smooth actions and excellent customer service.

Given what you hunt in your neck of the woods, I suggest Speers 44 Magnum ammo loaded with their 270 Gold Dot. http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/de ... adNo=23968 . Its advertised velocity is 1,250 fps, and should be a solid 1,500 fps out of your Henry. It should handle any deer or bear within open sight range without even breaking a sweat.

Have fun with that new carbine.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

pdawg.shooter wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:I don't find it necessary to unload when I come in.. Simply opening the action will usually suffice, or just clearing the chamber.. Maybe it isn't by "the Book" but my firearms are always loaded, and every gun should be considered as such..
I am with you. ALL my firearms are loaded, All the time. Never any chance of "I THOUGHT IT WAS UNLOADED!" Thar are loaded and then they are treated as loaded.

You guys put loaded guns in safes & such? I sure have a couple around loaded all the time & if I'm hunting at MY camp I dont load & unload every time I head out. But I cant see having all my firearms loaded all the time. I load them when I use them. Heck I dont even have loaded ammo for all of them. I'm not very fond of the NRA politically, but they shine in training & promoting gun saftey. http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp The guns I'm useing are loaded, home defense guns are considered in use, the rest arent. Not because people in my house dont treat them all like theyre loaded, but because its how I was taught & it makes sense. Was a guy in town a couple years ago came home & got shot with his own gun he left loaded in the house, bet it sucked to be him. Anyway for me that would mean 35+ loaded guns in my gun room. Thats just dont make sense.

Back on topic, while I dont own a Henry centerfire, every one I'v seen, handled, or shot, LOOKED excellent as far as fittment & finish. They are a little blocky looking to me. Most of them cycled real smooth & functioned fine. but one, a 44, was stopped up by the Marlin Jam. The guy ended up dumping the tube & bringing it to a smith because he wouldn't believe it was like a Marlin & I could unjam it. I think they should & I know I would, drill & tap the side for a Williams or Lyman side mounted peep sight. Like several others my only real gripe with them is misleading marketing. You read their literature & you come away thinking that there is some lineage involved & their just isn't. Its real amusing to me that they stole the Henry legacy that was really Oliver Winchesters legacy in order to market a Marlin copy. Kinda fits right in with today's topsy turvy world. :lol:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

i have one in 357, Sorry but its the best shooting gun outta my lot
that includes Winchesters, Marlins & a Rossi, ya gotta work the lever like ya mean it or it might hang up, the heft works very well with me
for off hand shooting & i get along with the sights-
just drop the slidder & use the buckhorn like a peep
ive got mixed feelings on the name, like Uberti 73s, rossi 92s
& winchesters made in japan
if the finish wears on it What the heck, most of mine show wear
no safe Queens here

ollogger
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I'm glad I bought a Marlin and not a gremlin before it was too late. With true Marlin outta the picture for new lever guns, the Henry levers appear to me to be the best bang for the buck. I'm not sure Chiappa customer service is worth the hassle, but their guns look good. Rossi has some of the market, but why should I have to have a new gun slicked up to properly function. I'm glad someone like Nate Kiowa Jones can help people who choose to buy one. Miracou Winnys are too pricey for me. Uberti is also pricey but ok as far as function is concerned, but I tend to believe current (not the historical company) Henry customer service might be a little better. So, I choose Henry because its American. FWIW, I read that many cycling problems relate to improper bullet seating depth of Keith style bullets in Henry guns. Seating to the forward driving band seems to limit the feeding problems for Keith bullets in the Henrys. And, the mouse phart loads and short stroking, tricked out CAS guns don't function as originally intended.

Using a proper sized piece of pvc and couter pins seems to speed up loading of the Henrys.

I'm just glad I have the power to choose what to buy as an American, for now.

rimrock
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I won't go to the politics, but the Big Boy receiver is NOT brass. it's some kind of mystery metl (likely MIM) that is plated with an electroplate then laquered. If you go after it with normal brass cleaning methods, yer gonna have a mess that looks like a dull carburator when yer done.
Certified gun nut
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I appreciate the Henry company and their quest to keep the rifle made from parts manufactured entirely in the USA. I also appreciate their support of the NRA, Boy Scouts, PBR and other organizations that I favor or am associated with. I have made some inquiries to the company and always received a quick, thorough and honest response. I used customer service once for a Henry .22 Youth. It just did not shoot under 1" 25 yard groups no matter what ammo or how I held or rested it. Henry put an new barrel and front sight on it among a few other tweaks and returned it within 8 days. It is now a tack-drive one ragged hole grouper at 25 yards and even out to 33 yards with some ammo, and it will stay under an inch out to 100 yards where it opens to 1.5 or so. I like the tube magazine because you can unload it by removing the tube and pointing it down (make sure to count rounds). My Winny's tend to scratch bullets and brass when loaded quickly through the gate, not so with the Henry. The weight keeps the recoil down quite a bit compared to lighter rifles of the same caliber. The sights are not great but the Skinner rear sight dovetail peep works great with it and enhances accuracy potential. All of the Henry BB's that I've used had smooth actions and worked as they should. There are no safety gimicks or additives other than a good ole half cock. Accuracy is good and for whatever reason the 357 Mag and 45 Colt Henry's I've tested achieved higher velocity with the same ammo and barrel length than an equal barrel length Marlin or Win, up to 165 fps more. I think it is a versastile, well made American product with a good company behind it. It may not have the nostalgia and traditionalism of a Winchester or the history of a Marlin but it serves it's purpose and performs to it's price range pretty darn well.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I do appreciate the Henry's "Made in U.S.A." aspect.. they do get some points for that.. I also like their little .22 leverguns, even the "brass" framed ones.. I do believe that the powers that be really missed the boat with the Big Boy's cosmetics, though.. The receiver contours are not only bulky and ugly to the eye, but to the hand as well. The guns do not balance well for me, and after a long day hunting jackrabbits with one, out in Oregon Basin, a couple years ago, I never mastered snap-shooting with one, whereas my Uberti-made '73 was like an extension of my arms. stock form and dimensions of the BB just didn't lend themselves to what I was trying to do with the gun. Accuracy was hap-hazard and mediocre, with handloads that never let me down in my '73.. Granted, the BB was not mine, but belonged to a good friend, who wanted to find out if the difficulties he had experienced with it were a fault of the gun, or had more to do with his operation and marksmanship. He eventually traded off the BB to someone who just had to have the shiny, gaudy beast, and wound up with a nice little Marlin carbine, in .41 Magnum.. Neither my friend nor I could throw the BB up to our shoulder, and have the sights come even nearly into line, without squirming our heads around. I have heard similar complaints from other BB owners and users. Those who love the darn things seem to be genuine in their affections, so who am I to judge, but the Henry BB will never find a home in my gun rack...
Regards

Buck

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Alright, gents,

I do not own a Big Boy, but I have held a couple of them. They are pretty massive, when compared to other, similarly-sized, centerfire leverguns. The Big Boy actually has a transfer bar that slides inside a channel in the face of its hammer, in addition to a "lever interlock"-type safety, ala Marlin.

The Golden Boy's receiver cover is highly polished ZAMAC alloy, with a gold-tinted clear coat on it. It is not too thick, or terribly scratch-resistant, and will allow the silver of the reciever cover show, if nicked.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

FWIW.. The Henry website describes the Big Boy as having a BRASS receiver... The company is very proud of the fact, and uses the claim to tie the current operation back to the 19th Century organization, a completely spurious fabrication...

Certainly, the new Henry's are heavy enough to be made of brass (the originals were Bronze..) and are heftier than Zamak would warrant.

I am dismayed that the designer(s) at Henry took so little interest in the Big Boys' appearance, opting for a Picasso-like rendition of the sleek lines of B.T.'s original materpiece.. They must be the type that really likes florid-faced fat chicks who can't dance, as long as they have brassy gold hair-dos.... :shock:
Regards

Buck

Pathfinder
Levergunner

Post by Pathfinder »

So essentially (for the most part anyway) what I have gotten from the responses to my post is that:
  • There is a genuine contempt for Henry guns because their DNA is not historically correct.
    There is a theory that Henry falsely touts themselves.
    Henry has offended the SASS purists.
    Henry's are American made.
    Newer Marlins (and others) come from japan.
    They have good customer service.
    They are too heavy.
    The heaviness helps with recoil.
    They don't fit some peoples hands well while being carried.
    They don't "snap shoot" for some folks who can "snap shoot" other guns.
    They can't be reloaded quickly.
    They unload easily.
    They don't unload easily.
    They are not actually brass.
    They have less than durable finish on the "not brass," "mystery metal."
    Don't use ammonia based cleaning products.
    If you are a cowboy shooter (gamer) the anemic loads typically used don't work well.
    There are better rear sight options.
    Their aesthetics offend some people. "They are ugly to the eye."
    Their actions feel smooth for some and clumsy and awkward for others.
    They are the best shooting lever type gun out of box "for the price" some folks have.
AND my favorite non answer so far:

That those who like them: "must be the type that really likes florid-faced fat chicks who can't dance, as long as they have brassy gold hair-dos..."
HA!! I love that. I guess I'm gonna have to avoid a blushing, fat girl as my next prize or me and my Big Boy and my fat girlfriend could run afoul of the Levergun crowd.... LOL

Anyway. In a round abouts way and between the historical/ political rhetoric a few of my questions were answered. Such is internet forum life I guess.

I'll post up some of my actual ownership observations and photos as I go along. However my not being all that interested in the history and SASS means that the reviews will be from the plain old- I shoot and have shot a lot of guns (including a non Japanese Marlin) and this is my observation about this one from a users perspective type review.

Thanks folks.

OR

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Buck & others,

Just to clarify:

* The BIG BOY (centerfire rifle) does have a receiver that IS made of a brass alloy.

* The GOLDEN BOY (rimfire rifle) has a ZAMAC alloy receiver & receiver cover.

While the "excess" weight of the Big Boy (centerfire) could come from the stout brass reciever, some of its heft probably comes from its octagon barrel. I say this, because, when comparing the rimfire Golden Boy & the "standard" H001-series (both with ZAMAC receivers), the octagon-barreled Golden Boys are heavier.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Buck Elliott wrote:I am dismayed that the designer(s) at Henry took so little interest in the Big Boys' appearance, opting for a Picasso-like rendition of the sleek lines of B.T.'s original materpiece.. They must be the type that really likes florid-faced fat chicks who can't dance, as long as they have brassy gold hair-dos.... :shock:
That is some of the best writing I've read on this web forum. And "florid-faced fat chicks who can't dance" surely has the makings of a fine off-country John Prine or Jerry Jeff Walker song.

"There's a big old goofy man dancing with a big old goofy girl, ooh baby, it's a big old goofy world." - John Prine :D