356 conversion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

356 conversion

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Anyone here ever convert a 336 from 30-30 to .356? What is involved besides a new barrel?
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: 356 conversion

Post by Thunder50 »

Haven't done it , but thinking of having JES reboring do it. He lists it in his conversions. He will re-bore your existing barrel. IIRC, the cost is around $250
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

the only thing that changes is the chamber and the size of the hole in the barrel.

that plus brass and dies and a good bullet mould :wink:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I had the conversion done this past summer by Nonneman Customs based on a Marlin 336 35 Remington. The rifle came end of last month so I didn't have time to test some loads BUT it shows promise when I assembled a load for deer hunting a couple of weeks ago. I had him install a new barrel and asked to cut the chamber throat a little longer so I could use longer cast bullets.

Mainehunter :wink:
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Looks good to me! I would like to do just what you did with the 35 Rem.
I am thinking though of the new models, a 35 Rem XLR and having it converted, but in the end, not sure what I gain past the 338ME.

In same boat, limited ammo, need to load my own, and still won't gain much.
But love the looks of that gun on the wood pile!! Surely be an outstanding deer shooter, and will work on Elk and Moose within reasonable distances.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Marlin32 wrote:Looks good to me! I would like to do just what you did with the 35 Rem.
I am thinking though of the new models, a 35 Rem XLR and having it converted, but in the end, not sure what I gain past the 338ME.

In same boat, limited ammo, need to load my own, and still won't gain much.
But love the looks of that gun on the wood pile!! Surely be an outstanding deer shooter, and will work on Elk and Moose within reasonable distances.
Thanks for the kind words! 30-30 or 35 Remington would be a good candidate for the conversion but I ended up going with the 35 Remington because I have a pile of 308 cases that can be converted to 356 (rimless version) so no mods needed to the bolt face. The weather has been cooperating so far I may sneak out to the range this week and do some load testing.

Mainehunter :wink: