1894 Cowboy carrier assembly comes apart - update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

1894 Cowboy carrier assembly comes apart - update

Post by Old Savage »

The carrier assembly on this rifle - 2006 1894 CB came apart. My wife found the little pin and the retaining washer that goes on it on the floor where it apparently fell out. Is there a spring in there with it also. Has anyone else had this happen? The little pin is on the bottom left of the black bull in the target below. It is a different arrangement than the 1894C made in 1980.

Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There was a spring!! :shock:
I think Marlin owes you a carrier on this one.
I would give them a call Tuesday. :x
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.S.,

I should have done this before, but I didn't think about till just now.

I pulled the lever out of my 1894 and then could see the carrier from the bottom.
The little piece your wife found is the rocker plunger as I thought. The long end fits into the left (inboard) side of the carrier, a spring fits in there too and then on the right (outboard) side of the carrier the end of the plunger is flared over a larger retaining disk. When the lever cams over the plunger it it pushed to the right against spring pressure, then pops back out.
The retaining disk has come off the end of the plunger and so the entire part has come out.

Chuck 100 yd, is correct. Marlin owes you a carrier.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I'll be calling those boys tomorrow or Tues. This never worked quite as smooth as my other Marlins, wonder if it was done wrong from the beginning.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:I'll be calling those boys tomorrow or Tues. This never worked quite as smooth as my other Marlins, wonder if it was done wrong from the beginning.
Some time back someone posted about his 1894 hanging up. He took it apart and found the little rocker plunger sticking out farther than it should and wobbling around. The retaining disk was loose or the the flare on the end wasn't sufficient. At any rate he pushed it back in the hole and tightened up the flare over the disk. That fixed his problem. I just can't remember who posted that.

I'll bet yours wasn't properly made from the start.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looking back I think that may match. I recall looking in there and not knowing what I should see but that sounds similar. It worsened with use. It was sticking on closed as I noted on another post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Update - 3 min call to Marlin customer service and the very pleasant lady says the carrier is on the way.

BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

I had a carrier come apart on a Marlin CB in .45 Colt............after about 15,000 rounds! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:Update - 3 min call to Marlin customer service and the very pleasant lady says the carrier is on the way.
O.S., when you get the new one compare it to the defective one. Then take some pics for all of us.

Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Good people at Marlin. They have done me good in the past. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am looking forward to putting this rifle back together. If it works as smoothly as Marlins usually do I will be a happy camper on that.

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Old Savage wrote:I am looking forward to putting this rifle back together. If it works as smoothly as Marlins usually do I will be a happy camper on that.
I have no doubt that it will now be as smooth as the others.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .