Degreaser

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Degreaser

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

I have a USFA SAA that was finished by Doug Turnbull. For some reason, it seems to be more prone to rust than anything else in my safe, even though I wipe it down with an oily rag periodically. I want to try waxing it instead, and picked up some Flitz gun & knife wax. I'm not sure what to use to degrease it first, though. I normally use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, but I don't know if it would be safe on the lacquer over the case hardening. I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up! Can anyone recommend something that they are SURE won't hurt the lacquer?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Degreaser

Post by kimwcook »

I can't answer your question, but I'd get a hold of Turnbull and ask them what to use and how. It's their product.
Old Law Dawg
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That BC Gunscrubber looks like, smells like and feels like carb cleaner.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

kimwcook wrote:I can't answer your question, but I'd get a hold of Turnbull and ask them what to use and how. It's their product.
This for sure, and DONT use the gunscrubber.

If you need to degrease something, Simple Green works as well as anything.
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

I figured I'd try Turnbull tomorrow if no one here had an answer. I just got the Flitz and was anxious to try it out, thought checking here might be quicker.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If you decide you absolutely MUST degrease it, use Brake Cleaner. It leaves no oily residue, which carb cleaner and gunscrubber both do.

I don't think degreasing is your problem. You need to find a good rust preventative oil, such as Sheath, to protect your guns. Where I live, rust isn't a big problem, and even modest oiling will keep it at bay. I realize that is not the case, in many other parts of the country..

It would certainly be worth it to give Turnbull's a call. I have always found them to be very helpful...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd think if you valued the piece you wouldn't mind taking your time.

Getting several opinions is a good thing.

The only thing I wanted to add about the degreaser is that if you use a wash type, be sure to wear gloves. Some brands play hell on your skin...

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yet ANOTHER option would be to ship the USFA to me for rust protection. ;) . :roll: . :P :P

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

One of these might help! It would even protect all your guns.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183876 ... -liter-can
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

What about rubbing alcohol or acetone? I believe acetone is often recommended for removal of grease/oil from screws and screw holes before applying lok-tite. Will rubbing alcohol do equally well?

Regarding harm to the lacquer--I don't know.

Don
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Soap and warm water is one of the best, will not affect the stuff on the case harding finish. Just dry it off with a hair dryer or some such, if it warm an sunny place in a safe spot where the sun can heat it up. For a rust prevention oil I found ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is great. Some people put some lanolin in with the ATF and it has ended the rust problems. I find new blued guns are prone to easy rusting. When the gun is blued they dip it in a stop bath, but it doesn't do all that much. I will go over all surfaces I can with 0000 fine steel wool, dipped in either ATF or CLP, let it set for a day, wipe it down with paper towels, repeat, until the paper towels no longer show any rust coming off. Blueing is a rusting process and it has to be stopped and the pours filled with non rusting stuff. Use a carding method with the steel wool, go gently each time. Usually three or four times (complete treatment) will actually go a long way in stopping future rust. AT least this is my methods. Good Luck and hope you find what you are looking for. ATB
frankjg
Levergunner

Post by frankjg »

If you value the Case coloring do not use any solvent on your gun. It will damage the CC.

To clean my hi end guns I use Old West Snake Oil its a finish and protector for antique guns and cases. For a wax there is Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax polish.

These are usually used in museums.
Frank G
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

Cliff mentioned adding lanolin to ATF and it might work very well. I've got another product I tried and you might too if it's not going to mess up your top finish. I didn't take the time to research it for you......here is a link:

http://www.fluid-film.com/

I have used this for years and it is very good as the customer reviews I have read claim. It is as near to impermeable to rain/snow as any product I have found and I would think it should put your rust to rest. I have a small patch of tanned whitetail hide I spray occasionally and use that to wipe down my firearms when needed. Chamois works too.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI