Mausers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Mausers

Post by Marlin32 »

How do you get a hold of a new Mauser? From website, all I get is a phone number and address to some one in San Antonio. I know this is not a lever, but I am asking for a reason.

I like the sound of the 8.5x63mm cartridge which Mauser chambers. I also thinking maybe 8x68 but that might be a bit much for me. If I could construct a 8x64mm I would.
That is what I would be looking for in a rifle cartridge.

Any of you Texicans know of this Mauser USA in San Antonio???
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mausers

Post by awp101 »

I would think any decent sized gunshop could order one for you. The website doesn't have a distributor list?

You might try Davidson's or the Gallery of Guns to see if they list them, or at least a retailer that could order one. Bud's might be another avenue to check out as well.

Myself, I like the old military ones I can build (or at least dream about building :lol: ) into what I want.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Owned by SIGarms USA. Cabelas is main retailer.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Marlin32 wrote:I also thinking maybe 8x68 but that might be a bit much for me. If I could construct a 8x64mm I would.
You can find a good M98 military Mauser at most gun shows for $250. Since it will likely be chambered in 8X57 Mauser, you could simply rechamber it to 8MM/06 for a minimal sum and achieve the equivilent of the 8X64 Mauser. And, since the 8MM/06 uses 30/06 Springfield brass, you'll have a endless supply of brass. Have fun.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Marlin32 wrote:How do you get a hold of a new Mauser? From website, all I get is a phone number and address to some one in San Antonio. I know this is not a lever, but I am asking for a reason.

I like the sound of the 8.5x63mm cartridge which Mauser chambers. I also thinking maybe 8x68 but that might be a bit much for me. If I could construct a 8x64mm I would.

Could you please say more about why you want a real "Mauser" rifle? Because there are some nicely made new manufactured rifles out there.

I really like this rifle put out by Ruger:
http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Hawkey ... odels.html
The Ruger comes in some very good chamberings, I personally love the 9.3x62mm.

You want a length of 68mm, that will not fit the standard Mauser, too long. I think 64mm will fit the standard action length 98.
The decimal equivalent of the 8.5 is .333 or .338, which you could get chambered in the .338 Mag, which would be close to the 85.x63mm.

Steve
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

SteveR wrote:
Marlin32 wrote:How do you get a hold of a new Mauser? From website, all I get is a phone number and address to some one in San Antonio. I know this is not a lever, but I am asking for a reason.

Could you please say more about why you want a real "Mauser" rifle? Because there are some nicely made new manufactured rifles out there.

I really like this rifle put out by Ruger:
http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Hawkey ... odels.html
The Ruger comes in some very good chamberings, I personally love the 9.3x62mm.

You want a length of 68mm, that will not fit the standard Mauser, too long. I think 64mm will fit the standard action length 98.
The decimal equivalent of the 8.5 is .333 or .338, which you could get chambered in the .338 Mag, which would be close to the 85.x63mm.

Steve[/quot

IMHO, Ruger has miles and miles to go to be anywhere near as good as a Mauser. As a dealer for 24 years I had to send back more Rugers for repair than any other. Most of the time I got them back with a note that said they were "within specs" and I had to fix them myself. Gotta keep the customer happy. Lost money on every on I had to repair/rebuild.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

pdawg.shooter wrote: IMHO, Ruger has miles and miles to go to be anywhere near as good as a Mauser. As a dealer for 24 years I had to send back more Rugers for repair than any other. Most of the time I got them back with a note that said they were "within specs" and I had to fix them myself. Gotta keep the customer happy. Lost money on every on I had to repair/rebuild.
What did you have to fix/repair on the Rugers? The 98 action is pretty cut and dry and Ruger seems to have copied it quite closely.

When you say "Rugers", are you talking about just this model?? If so, what repairs did you have to make?

I see there is a good write up on Jeff Quinn's "GunBlast" about this model Ruger and they even have a limited run being built for GunBlast.
http://gunblast.com/Ruger-M77GB.htm

I also said there are many different makers out there, and I would buy a CZ in a heartbeat in their 98 offering, especially the full stock ones are sweet.

Steve
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I do want a newly manufactored rifle, a mauser, not an old 98 (not that I wouldn't take a 98 in 8x57 or 7x57)

Guns are offered in magnum chamberings including the 8x68.
I have thought on the 8mm-06 some.
3200 Hawk has my interest as well.

Then again, to get back to leverguns, I am also eyeballin' 8mmGNR. Would want it in a Marlin action if at possible though, and not sure I can do that.

444 Marlin necked down to 8mm. What would that get me???

Thanks for info all, I will keep up the search for a mauser.

Maybe I should just get a Browning Elipse in 325 WSM?? I don't think it is cataloged, but I am betting I could get it one way or another.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

In my personal experience, the CZ-550 by Brno is a very high quality rifle, equal to or better than any surplus rifle I've ever owned. Mine is in 6.5mm Swedish, but I almost bought one in 9.3X63mm. That would be a thumper; equal to the 35 Whelan. This rifle is also available in higher grade safari models in many African hunting cartridges.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Marlin32 wrote:444 Marlin necked down to 8mm. What would that get me???
That sounds very interesting, if you do something with this idea could you please post, I would love to see how that chambering would work out.

Good luck with the Mauser search.

I forgot about the Swede 96's & 98"s that Husqvarna sporterized. All of my 9.3x62's are from those Swede sporters. If you do decide to go with one of them, most of the work is done for you. 8x62mm or what we call the 8mm-06, would be very easy to convert from the 8x57mm.

The only thing you need to watch is the 96 actions are not full length, and will not allow chambering longer than the 8x57mm. Would make a sweet 7mm-08 though.

Here is a place that has some:
http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPa ... 56c40b7c3d
Also Allan has some in every now and again:
http://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php

Steve