Sheepskin gun case?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Sheepskin gun case?

Post by hightime »

My dad had one. I've heard that they're good for preventing rust and soft on the stock. Is that right? Does someone offer them? I bought a nice leather gun case, but it's not lined and I'm worried it might add some wear spots to my 1873 Win.

Owen
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sheepskin gun case?

Post by Rusty »

I've heard they can cause rust. Either way know that a gun case is for transporting a gun, not for storing it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I bought a ruined M94 off a fellow a few years back.
It had been stored in a sheepskin case and was completely covered in rust.
It had been brand new when put away.

Jack
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

WELL THAT CUTS IT THEN.

Thanks, Owen
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The cases offer excellent protection during transportation, but should NEVER be used for storage - even the ones touted as having some sort of "rust-preventative/silicon" treatment to the sheepskin innards.

If you need to use a gun case for storage, oil the gun down & use an inexpensive, foam-lined polyutherene hard (?) case.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had a couple shooter grade in a treated gun sock for about three years...so far, all is well....I might get them for all of the rifles...seems to cut down on safe dings...I'm a real klutz taking them in and out of the safe :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:I've heard they can cause rust. Either way know that a gun case is for transporting a gun, not for storing it.
That's pretty much what I've experienced...

...on the other hand, in a gun safe, the gun 'socks' DO seem protective...
BlaineG wrote:I've had a couple shooter grade in a treated gun sock for about three years...so far, all is well....I might get them for all of the rifles...seems to cut down on safe dings...I'm a real klutz taking them in and out of the safe :roll:
Same here... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Interesting. About 2 years ago my wife's aunt gave me her recently deceased husbands Win 94 Golden Spike Edition. It was zipped up in a fleece lined gun case, and according to her it had never been shot. I looked it over carefully upon her handing the case to me from under their bed. It was pristine. According to her, she remembered when it was given to her husband in the late 60's, she remembers him putting it in the case and under the bed. She doesn't remember him ever taking it out again.
Later I pretty much confirmed that it had never been shot, other than maybe at the factory, but I even doubt that. When I ran a patch through it it was very slightly rusty. Several more patches removed that, and then I took it to the range. I had discovered that without the box and paperwork, the gun was not a collectible and worth no more than any other use 94. After about 200 rounds over the last 2 years the gun has proven to be a reliable shooter, albeit a little clunky. I'm guessing it is standard 94 operation.

Walt
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

If you need to use a gun case for storage, oil the gun down & use an inexpensive, foam-lined polyutherene hard (?) case.
+1 on oiling it down before you store it. I was rabbit hunting on a warm, humid day with a 9422 Trapper a few years ago and put it in a hard sided case with polyurethane foam until I went out again the next day. When I took it out again, it had barely visible rust on the sides of the receiver in roughly the pattern of the foam. I oiled it down thoroughly and the rust seemed to go away, but I am sure there is still pitting, if only on a microscopic level. Though minor, that rusting occured in less than 24 hours.