1894 Marlin .44 Mag and Lee 310 gr Feeding issue's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

1894 Marlin .44 Mag and Lee 310 gr Feeding issue's

Post by Jacko »

G/Day Folks

My Marlin .44 Mag, Ballard Rifling Bore 426 , Groove .429 and have been playing with some loads using the Lee 310 gr proj sized to .430. I started with 18 gr of ADI 2205 [ H 4227 ] and it was too hot in my 1894, the lever popped open. So I backed off to 15 grains which shoots nice round tight groups. Tried 17 gr and the Lever popped again. The Lee 310 is the most accurate Cast projectile I have shot from my 1894.

I like heavy for calibre projectiles in my Rifles and would like to get these Lee 310's feeding reliably

I have experimented with seating in the 2nd crimp groove, the metplat hit's the top of the chamber

1st crimp groove and the metplat hits the bottom of the Chamber

The Rifle will not feed Lyman 429 421 SWC I have tried either, they hang up on the base of the Chamber. Feeds Westcast 240 gr RNFP projectiles flawlessly as the metplat is less than 1/2 the size of the Lee 310

To my eyes it appears the Lifter needs to be built up at the front, Any advice on what you Folks have done to make the Lee 310 and SWC proj feed through your 1894's. As much as I love this Marlin my Rossi M92 .357 feeds any proj and overall length I've feed it. If I can not get it to feed the Lee 310 I'll look for a suitable RNFP mould in the 270 gr plus range

regards Jacko