Super Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Super Blackhawk

Post by damienph »

The first Christmas present that my wife bought for me after we married in 1990.

I added the TSOB mount and the 2X scope later.

The grip color is more like the following picture than the first one.
Tomcatt57
Levergunner

Re: Super Blackhawk

Post by Tomcatt57 »

Nice looking Super. I can tell it's been takin' care of. I wish they still put that polished and blued finish on the newer ones. How does it shoot?
Tomcatt
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks like a shooter. In all the SBH's I had, which were 44 mag., I couldn't shoot full house loads without tearing up my hands. The original wood grips would all get switched out for rubber Pachmayr's. I never mounted a scope on one and that may just be enough resistance to muzzle flip to keep it from banging up my hands. Don't have a single SBH anymore. I moved on to FA's or Ruger Bisleys.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great looking Super!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Love the SBH. Interesting scope mount - I actually haven't seen that one before. Can you tell me more about it?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Love the SBH. Interesting scope mount - I actually haven't seen that one before. Can you tell me more about it?

It was installed by SSK Industries, J.D. Jones actually answered my e-mail when I asked for info about it. He calls it the TSOB(?!) mount and advertises it as the strongest pistol mount available. I had a B-Square mount on it before with a Bushnell Trophy variable scope - the older glossy one. I've always shot some pretty stout loads through it, either 300gr XTPs or 320gr LBT GC and I don't know if it was the heavy scope or just the recoil but I ended up up warping the scope base enough that the scope ran out of windage and I couldn't keep it on paper. The B-Square mount looked alot like the Weaver mount on my 30 Carbine BH. There is a shiny spot on the barrel of this SBH about 3/8 inch forward of the frame just above the ERH. It was caused by the barrel clamp from the B-Square rubbing when the mount would flex under recoil.

I don't think that I will warp this one. The TSOB is a semi permanent mount It is tapped onto the topstrap and the barrel with 2 screws each. It's been on there since 2000 or 2001, hundreds of full throttle loads, no problems.

I think that he designed his original TSOB mount for Contenders chambered in his SSK line of wildcats.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

damienph wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Love the SBH. Interesting scope mount - I actually haven't seen that one before. Can you tell me more about it?

It was installed by SSK Industries, J.D. Jones actually answered my e-mail when I asked for info about it. He calls it the TSOB(?!) mount and advertises it as the strongest pistol mount available. I had a B-Square mount on it before with a Bushnell Trophy variable scope - the older glossy one. I've always shot some pretty stout loads through it, either 300gr XTPs or 320gr LBT GC and I don't know if it was the heavy scope or just the recoil but I ended up up warping the scope base enough that the scope ran out of windage and I couldn't keep it on paper. The B-Square mount looked alot like the Weaver mount on my 30 Carbine BH. There is a shiny spot on the barrel of this SBH about 3/8 inch forward of the frame just above the ERH. It was caused by the barrel clamp from the B-Square rubbing when the mount would flex under recoil.

I don't think that I will warp this one. The TSOB is a semi permanent mount It is tapped onto the topstrap and the barrel with 2 screws each. It's been on there since 2000 or 2001, hundreds of full throttle loads, no problems.

I think that he designed his original TSOB mount for Contenders chambered in his SSK line of wildcats.
Thanks for the info. My OM SBH had a Bushnell "Magnum Phantom" 2.5x scope on it before, but it would never hold zero, as the recoil was just too much for the mounts. It sits on my OM BH in .30 Carbine now, and holds zero perfectly.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

damienph wrote:

Thanks for the info. My OM SBH had a Bushnell "Magnum Phantom" 2.5x scope on it before, but it would never hold zero, as the recoil was just too much for the mounts. It sits on my OM BH in .30 Carbine now, and holds zero perfectly.