Playing with fire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Playing with fire

Post by eric65 »

A very long time ago, Eric bought himself a reloading setup so that he would not go broke playing with his new .357 mag. Eric also listened to advice from a trusted reloading buddy and followed the reloading manual to the absolute letter. Fast foreward 20 years to today when for the first time Eric produced as closely as possible, the origional .357 mag load. :shock: As my daughter would say, " WOW" that load is not for the young. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Playing with fire

Post by AJMD429 »

As I understand it the original ".357 Magnum" pressures were higher than current SAAMI specs. Interesting that the guns they were shot in were not particularly 'robust' by modern standards... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

It was an attention getter for sure doc
richerich
Levergunner

Post by richerich »

AJMD429 wrote:As I understand it the original ".357 Magnum" pressures were higher than current SAAMI specs. Interesting that the guns they were shot in were not particularly 'robust' by modern standards... :?

Learn somthing new everyday....... "original ".357 Magnum" pressures were higher than current SAAMI specs."
Rich
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

richerich wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:As I understand it the original ".357 Magnum" pressures were higher than current SAAMI specs. Interesting that the guns they were shot in were not particularly 'robust' by modern standards... :?

Learn somthing new everyday....... "original ".357 Magnum" pressures were higher than current SAAMI specs."
I've read where the original Elmer Keith 357mag loads were over 40,000psi while current SAAMI specs are limited to 35,000psi.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

I only use 2400 in that caliber and until today I had never observed a fireball in broad daylight
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The .357 Magnum was considered the most powerful handgun in the world for a couple of decades.

There was probably a reason.

Just sayin'...

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I bought some Remington 357 factory loads some years back and let me tell you I shot about three cylinder fulls out of my 649 and I won't shoot anymore of them out of that piece anyways. It literally felt like my hand was on an anvil and someone hit it with a two pound ballpeen. I've got the remaining rounds in the box somewhere.
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm with ya Kim, I shot 158 grain .357's in my 649 and it left the web of my hand sore for several days.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Pachmyr & Hogue are our friends! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Once, qualifying for an armed security guard position (didn't end up taking it) I shot an S&W 581 4" on a small (4-lane) indoor range.

Most of the others had to borrow a 9mm or had a 9mm of their own.

Company rule was no Glocks and no .45s (since I had a Glock .45 and knew what I was doing with it more than the guy that made the rule, it annoyed me...so I got a .357).

it was reminiscent of the scene from Robocop. Small range, .357 158 grain +P and fireballs.

As they all started shooting, "pop pop pop BOOOOOM pop pop BOOOM" they all froze, <insert various multilingual expletives> WHAT IS THAT THING!

I had to wait till they were done firing their targets each time, my muzzle blast was distracting them.

It's not in the .44/.500 Hand Cannon level, but a .357 is still a very powerful piece.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

The 357 is a nice caliber and does make a lot of noise. Interesting reading "The Complete Guide to Handloading" by Philip Sharpe talks about reloading the 357 when it first came out. He cautions everyone to stick to the old 38-44 loading data as max loads. Says the 357 is too dangerous to reload trying to duplicate the factory ballistics. Things sure have changed. It is interesting, he takes a lot of credit for helping develop the round and Elmer Keith does the same. I think Sharpe's semi wadcutter bullet was the bullet S&W went with while Keith's loadings were what they looked at. There was some back and forth talk at the time. Keith wanted his semi wadcutter bullet and Sharpe's design had a shorter nose length, so it was choosen due to the shorter cylinder space. Interesting reading that book.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think the guns were plenty robust, they were N frame Smiths.

The original 158 grain factory loads ran about 1550 fps in an 8 3/8" barrel. Looking at a variety older ballistics charts, those loads have inched down over time. The current loads arent much more than the old 38-44 loads. I was really surprised looking at newer info.
even the newer fctory loads have a hideous muzzle blast to me tho. Never could quite get used to the muzzle blast of the 357. The 44, even in full magnum loads doesn't seem as bad. The 357 is a good round, I just don't like shooting them because of the muzzle blast. Mine are mostly plinkers that I rarely shoot. Great for smal game with 38 spl loads tho.

I think Keiths loads were a bit under factory loads in pressure.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?