OT--Help picking Holographic sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Help picking Holographic sight

Post by getitdone1 »

In the market for a Holographic sight but can't decide which one.

Either the Burris FastFire II or the Leupold Delta Point.

The Burris costs considerably less but I'm not sure how durable it is and I also read the dot is blurry.

The Leupold Delta Point should be more durable and I read it's "triangle dot" is not blurry. Too, I'm wondering how well the point of this 7.5 MOA triangle would work for longer distance shooting? The point of that triangle would block-out a lot less of the target than iron sights at longer distances.

The sight will initially go on my Browning BLR. If I don't like it for that gun then it'll go on my Ruger Mini-14. If I don't like it on that gun then it'll go on my Glock 19. I'm pretty sure it'll be just right on one of these guns.

I've decided Holographic over Aimpoint type sights because they are considerably smaller and lighter and offer a larger field of view.

I don't know whether I'd like this sight mounted low and close to my eye on receiver or mounted in front of receiver as "Scout Mount."

I recall someone in this group mounted a FastFire on his Winchester 1886 using the screws on side of receiver usually used for peep sight. Very neat! Edit: Just did a search and find member EndGameAK is the proud owner of this rig.

Maybe, with help, I can do the right thing--first time around.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Re: OT--Help picking Holographic sight

Post by centershot »

getitdone1, in the world of electronic sights, you truly do get what you pay for. (Don't ask me how I know that!!!) If you want a red dot sight, buy an Aimpoint. If you want a holographic sight, buy an Eotech. PERIOD. These sights are battle-proven by military personnel around the world. They are as tough and reliable as they come. Anything less than these WILL fail, hopefully not when that trophy buck walks out in front of you! I know, they're a lot of money, so save until you have enough to buy one. Want to buy a less expensivce model just to see if it's what you really want? OK, but that money could get you closer to your ultimate goal...........caveat emptor! :roll: :roll: :roll:
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've got 2 EoTech's, 4 Fastfire-II's, and a few older 'pre-military' AimPoints, and of them all, my favorites are the Fastfire-II's.

The EoTech's are nice on M-1A's and such, but far too bulky for slim-receivered leverguns, in my opinion. Although I've not used the newer AimPoints due to the fact that I can buy three of the Fastfire-II's for the same price, they seem bulky as well.

(The picture below shows an EoTech, a Tru-Glo* 'open' type, and the Burris; no AimPoint.)

I'm not a special ops commando or anything, I just live on a farm, and hunt deer, and expect my guns and sights to perform reliably, whether out in the field, or for home-protection. I've not been let down by the Fastfire-II's. At $209 or so each, it didn't take long before I put them on several guns, so I suppose if I really thought they were liable to 'break-down', I'd sight-in with a spare as well, and stick it in my pocket. That simply isn't an issue in a non-combat application, at least to me.

They are 'rated' for handguns and slug-guns, and certainly haven't been bothered by the recoil of any rifles I've put them on (including a .444 Marlin and a .500 S&W Handi-Rifle). According to the manufacturer, "http://www.burristactical.com/fastfire.html, "The FastFire II provides the only fully waterproof unit in its product category."

As for the 'dot' not being good enough for accurate shooting, this group was fired at 50 yards using the Fastfire-II, and I can tell you that even with a scope, that gun isn't really any more accurate than that. No, I wouldn't use the Fastfire-II on a varmint gun, but I would on a deer rifle any day.

The group, by the way, was fired at midnight, using my Marlin 'Night Scout' rifle:

*I would note the Tru-Glo 'open' type sight is actually a really nice one on a 'plinking' gun, in that it allows selection of red or green dots, and you can just flip a switch to change the dot to a circle, crosshairs, or other patterns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks for your responses. Don't mean to be a pest with this subject since I posted similar not long ago. It's just taken me a while to make-up my mind and I've finally decided on holograph rather than an aimpoint. The least ugly and more streamlined on top the better. There's other more important reasons too. For combat it'd be Aimpoint for sure!

Don
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

These are the real high end solutions that seem to match your criteria: 1) http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/ ... p?pid=RM06 2) http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/ ... p?pid=RM01

I'm saving for the RM06!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have a couple of the EoTecha and they are great pieces of equipment, but they are large.

I'm currently testing a couple of the NcStar green dots, which are much like the Burris Fastfire's.

NcStar's web-site claims that the test fodder at the factory will stand up to the recoil of a .50BMG. I just want it to work on my Model 94 in .356Win. Trying to take the scope off of that particular rifle to make it a handier hunter.

Range testing at the end of the month. Field test on Oct 1st if work at the range goes well.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

My main question is:

Mount this kind of sight close to eye on receiver or out on barrel???? Browning calls on barrel "Scout Mount". My Browning BLR has holes for mounting either way.

I can't order sight until I know which type of mount to order at the same time.

Thanks,

Don
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

getitdone1 wrote:My main question is:

Mount this kind of sight close to eye on receiver or out on barrel???? Browning calls on barrel "Scout Mount". My Browning BLR has holes for mounting either way.

I can't order sight until I know which type of mount to order at the same time.

Thanks,

Don
I'd go for the "Scout" type mount. Either at the front of the receiver or along the length of the barrel close to the receiver. There are no front-sight/rear-sight sight-radius issues since you're only trying to find the dot and the target that lies beyond.

I'd think that if you mounted it too close to the eye, or at the rear of the receiver, you might not be able to get a clear sight picture, or that the reticle dot would cover more of the target than you wanted.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I tend to like the scout mount position, just because it makes the gun easier to grab by the receiver. Optically and so on, I'm not sure it matters. Do whatever is solid and affordable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In that size range, get the RMR. It's definitely superior to the Fastfire (it was developed specifically to address issues caused by the FF and others in that size).

The RMR's the same general size, but tougher. Not quite Aimpoint tough, but it'll hold up to abuse.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

MrMurphy wrote:In that size range, get the RMR. It's definitely superior to the Fastfire (it was developed specifically to address issues caused by the FF and others in that size).

The RMR's the same general size, but tougher. Not quite Aimpoint tough, but it'll hold up to abuse.

Those RMR's have some huge dots.

Between 3.25 and 13 MOA.

:o

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

You guys have been very helpful.

I really like that Trijicon RMR and will probably have it before too long. The newer one that allows you to adjust the brightness of the dot. It'll also do this automatically if you like.

However, bought the FastFire II and it came in the mail today. Looks like a dandy. Now for the mounts. I decided to buy the sight first and hold it at various distances to determine where I want to mount it. Know for sure now that it'll be about where the forward screws are on the receiver or Scout Mount out on the barrel in front of the receiver. Can see if I mount it close when I carry gun in one hand I'm going to be rubbing the sight and probably make contact with the front of the lens--so that won't do. Just gave it another look and it'd definitely interfere with my one handed carry when mounted back where the rear receiver base screws are located.

Been doing lots more shooting then usual recently, and it's for sure, my old eyes just don't do the job with iron sights. This sight is going to help me a lot. It's small size sure lets me have a clear view of the target. By not having to bother lining-up front and rear sight and with the view so wide open--this sights going to be fast to use. I also know it's going to allow me to do some good shooting.

I was a little concerned about how clear the dot was going to be with my old eyes. No problem at all. It's a little "fuzzy" around the edges but it'll do very well. Tried it with my reading glasses and found that won't do at all. That really distorts the dot. It's 4 MOA size appears smaller than I thought it would. For close-up shots I wouldn't want it any smaller and it'll be interesting to see where using the bottom of dot puts me on the target for longer distance shots.

Don
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Agreed. Except at 200+ the 4 moa gets it done fine.

People get all worked up over dot size when most can't tell the difference even side by side unless it's very large difference (4 to 13, etc).

Don't stare at the dot (it will fuzz) stare at the target and lay the dot on it.