Sharps - What do you think?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Sharps - What do you think?

Post by Hobie »

The boss man had a Sharps come into the shop on consignment. What do you think? (BTW, I couldn't post the huge pics here which is the why for the link.) If you read carefully you might note that a couple of other neat things are at the shop...

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... -shop.html
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sharps - What do you think?

Post by kimwcook »

It appears some work has been done alright. Looking at the pitting and then the wood it doesn't seem to match. But, with that said it appears to be in more than good working order. The front looks original, but the tang sight looks new. I'd pick it up for a shooter knowing that it isn't a real good candidate for collecting. Dependant on price of course. But, I'm no expert and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting, not enough knowledge here to know what to think.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Barrel replaced with NOS when they could be had cheap (say the 40s or 50s)?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not being a connoisseur or collector of Sharps rifles I'd say only this, I'd love to have it. That would be one super fun gun to use.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sweet - but I can't add anything of value in terms of opinion :) I like it though and wish I had the cash that it will take to purchase that baby.

Perhaps the barrel was relined at some point? I understand that it can be very hard to tell. But if the barrel is imaculate, then I'd be looking for that.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I seem to recall, back during the 60's or thereabouts, that one could buy all or the (original) parts for a Sharpes rifle from Dixie Gun Works.

Jack
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That front sight is very kewl. I think its probably a parts gun. Barrel, Stocks, tang sights. with condition of barrel, probably a recent conversion (yours and my life time). Would be fun to shoot.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

agree, pretty as can be and desirable.

Not needing top dollar probably makes it even prettier.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Hobie, the extracter seems to be missing. I had the opportunity to handle a similar Sharps in a local gun shop a couple of months ago. It was an old military rifle that had been converted to sporting. It was very nice but the owner wanted, what I thought was, too much money. I guess I'll just have to stick with my 30 year old $500 Shiloh Sharps.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nope, the extractor is there. If you have a $500 Shiloh Sharps you are lots smarter than me! At the time I thought they were too expensive... :roll: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:If you have a $500 Shiloh Sharps you are lots smarter than me! At the time I thought they were too expensive... :roll: :lol:
When my buddy and I hit the shows, we look at stuff and say "$800 bucks? Why didn't we buy one of these when 20 years ago when they were $250?" And the answer is always the same "Because we couldn't afford it then either..." :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Way back in 1984 when I had an FFL we set up at a local gun show. I had all of the Shiloh literature laid out. My friend and I both wanted one and we were hoping to get together maybe a 5 or 10 gun order and thus qualify for the higher quantity discounts. I sat there for two days and finally one other guy put down a deposit so we qualified for the 3 gun discount. Mine is a N0.3 sporter with extra heavy barrel and german silver nose cap in .50-2 1/2". Several years later Quigly Down Under came out and the prices really shot up then.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Model 71 doesn't look to bad !

What kinda money are they wanting for the Sharp's ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

awp101 wrote:
Hobie wrote:If you have a $500 Shiloh Sharps you are lots smarter than me! At the time I thought they were too expensive... :roll: :lol:
When my buddy and I hit the shows, we look at stuff and say "$800 bucks? Why didn't we buy one of these when 20 years ago when they were $250?" And the answer is always the same "Because we couldn't afford it then either..." :lol:
Sooooooo true! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I say, barrel & action are right together, percussion rifle converted to cartridge. If it was a rebarrel from NOS from Sharp's, it'd have the later 1874 markings. Stock is assuredly a replacement.

Hobie, double check that extractor, you should be able to see it in that shot, either in its slot, or leaned back away from the breech.

IF... the price is right, pick it up and refinish the metal, put a modern steel barrel on it and have the receiver heat treated, or be prepared to stick to BP pressures and lead boolits...

What do I know tho', IMO, the metal oughta be as pretty as the wood.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'll go back and check it out but I opened the action and the extractor operates, left side.
Sincerely,

Hobie

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That's one nice rifle.
What a beauty, too nice for a yahoo like me! :oops:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I looked at the pictures again and I believe I can see the extractor seated forward in it's slot at the back of the chamber. So, Hobie, did you get it?
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I know little about Sharps rifles, although I do have a '78 Borchardt.

The only thing I can add is "Can I have it Hobie, ole' pal, ole buddy?" :D -------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:I know little about Sharps rifles, although I do have a '78 Borchardt.
Is yours still original ?

There "were" a good many 78's floating around in the northern/central Virginia area that the old guys had rebarreled and made things like a 219 Zipper R2 Lovell , 22-3000 , 22 Blue Streak etc . What many around here referred to as the "early high powered" ground hog hunters :wink:

I had a chance to buy a 78 that Townsend Whelen supposedly had built back in the day and it was chambered for the 22 Blue Streak ! Rifle came with a complete shooting box full of 1940 loading tools for the rifle !

We had a 219 Donaldson Wasp on an 1878 Sharps come thru the shop a couple weeks ago as well !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6 Point Sika,
Yep! She is still the way it was built back in '79. Its throated real long for the 550 gr. paper patch bullets. When I got it, the spring on the firing pin was broken and thats the only thing I can see thats not "right". I did add a tang sight, but thats for shootin' as those barrel sights don't work with my 57 year old eyes.!

And.........that bugger shoots.....but only with my home cast 375 gr NEI bullets. The bullet must jump about an inch before it hits the rifling but it works....out to 500 meters. One of these days, when I get time, I'm gonna have to play with the long bullets, paper patch and some black.--------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:I looked at the pictures again and I believe I can see the extractor seated forward in it's slot at the back of the chamber. So, Hobie, did you get it?
That extractor cut looks empty to me.

A pic from the top looking down would solve it... for sure! :wink: :lol: :P

Solve the mystery for us. And yes, Hobie, did you get it?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yeah, it could be empty Griff. It was the difference in color that made me think it was there. And, a picture looking down into the breech would solve our dilemma or Hobie taking another look and letting us know.
Old Law Dawg