Loading a deer rifle for DG protection?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Loading a deer rifle for DG protection?

Post by Canuck Bob »

The 30-30 Grizzly thread is so succesful I began wondering about loading a traditional deer rifle for griz country. Here's the scenario, a dedicated woods loafer wants to carry his/her deer rifle during the offseason as a plinker small game rifle. They are in griz country and want to carry a few protection rounds in the mag just in case. This is protection ammo and not geared for longer ranges or hunting in general. It has one purpose, maximum protection at very moderate range.

The velocities generated to 50 yards would allow use of magnum styled control expansion bullets. They would be too sturdy for deer hunting at 150 yards but up close would make dandy choices in my mind.

Take the 30 cal 200 gr Nosler partition, clip the tip for the tube to say 190 gr, and push it at 2000+. Nosler specs 1800 min and the pictured bullet at 2000 would be ideal. Twist stability at longer ranges might be a problem but 3 inch groups at 50 yards are plenty good.

What about a 44 or 357 Mag in a 92, or a 32 Special and 35 Remington.

I wondered about my 32-20 and decided there is only one load that will work. The proper load in a different rifle!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Loading a deer rifle for DG protection?

Post by jhrosier »

It seems like you could arrange this easily with a detachable mag Sav99 or BLR in .358 Winchester. One mag with bear loads and another for plinking.

Jack
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I would stay with my 1895g in 45-70. A 430gr paper patched lead at just over 1800 has worked on everything I have tried it on so far.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'd guess you could load your magazine with just
a few plinkin' rounds, leaving space for your bear
loads. Carry the bear loads in a butt cuff. If a
bear encounter is imminent, push one (or two if
ya have time!) into the mag, rack the lever (ejecting
your varmint round), and shoot as the butt hits
the shoulder and the lever closes a la Cooper's
leveraction advice.

For 35 Remington you might load a light load with
158 gr. 357 mag bullets, and a heavy 220 gr.
hard-cast or jacketed bullet for the bear.

44 mag could be loaded to 44 special velocities for
plinkin', and stoked up with 300 gr. hard cast lead solids
for bear.

357 might be a little bit light, but with good shot placement
it might do the trick.

41 Magnum would also work with the right loadings.

You'd have to practice a bit. Loading the mag first makes
things a little bit busy and fumble-prone. I'd think a lot
of practice might make it doable, even under stress and
time constraints.

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Remember the 12-gauge shotgun add-ons that went on the AR-15's to look like the M-203's added to the M-16's...?

Maybe you could make something like that... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I do exacly this on a regular basis. I just quit carrying smaller caliber guns. I carry the 86 carbine or model 71, magazine loaded with regular full power loads. If I want to shoot grouse or whatever, I single load the chamber with the small game load, leaving the magazine loaded and instantly ready for whatever. I wouldnt rely on loading heavy loads when you think something may happen, often there simply is no time. Shooting small game is the thing that's easy to prepare for. One in the chamber is plenty for small game or grouse. With the Winchester type action, it's easy to single load the chamber leaving the mag full. I usually just run the lever all the way down, then push the carrier (lifter) back down to close the action on a small game round or leave it empty. Some actions do it easier than others, but the 86 and 71's do it very easily. Older 94's do it well, newer ones need a little slicking up or wiggling the lever a little to push the round on the carrier back into the magazine.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yeah, Malamute - I though of doing it your way AFTER I
submitted my post! You do make some sense.

I was considering that the noise/motion made fiddling
around loading and levering might spook the game.
Still, probably better to miss the occasional 'chuck than to
get mauled by a bear.... :)

-Stretch
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

When actually "hunting" small game, I just keep a small game round in the chamber, otherwise, I keep several in the back of my belt so I can reach them easily, but won't mistake them for "real " loads if I needed to top it off quickly. I usually carry a few light loads in my pocket, and only about 3 in the belt.

I've carried 30-30's in grizzly country, but after the number of contact incidents has risen, I decided to stay with heavier guns. I've found grouse can't tell much difference betwen a 30 cal round ball, a .350" round ball, or a 45 cal round ball or collar button bullet, but other things may be able to tell the differnce between full power loads in those cals.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Okay - that makes sense. Load two or three heavy loads, and top
off the mag with the light load and chamber that. if you need the
heavy load NOW, work the lever as the gun goes to the shoulder.
No time wasted. If you shoot the little round, top of the mag with
the same and chamber it. Simple. Got it.

-Stretch
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

With my 444 I load three thumpers and then single load plinkers. If any animal is close but not threatening I fire a plinker to scare them off. If they don't run I'm loaded hot.

I want to carry my 94 32 Special for loafing in the forest. I work in the Canadian oilpatch and am in the nicest bush you could imagine and getting paid. The little Winchester is so sweet to carry.

I am questioning the need to carry a 45-70 or a big bore in the remote chance I might encounter an angry bear. In decades of hunting and working in bear country I've seen 3 grizzly bears. If I loafed in areas of BC and the real north like Alaska it would be a different story. I don't want to kill one and would be scarce at the first sign of bear.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Canuck Bob wrote:Take the 30 cal 200 gr Nosler partition, clip the tip for the tube to say 190 gr, and push it at 2000+.
I think you already have it figured, Bob. But for the 32 Special you'd use the Nosler 200 gr. 8mm bullet. Should be easier to get your 2000 fps with the 32 than it would be in the 30.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

An accurate solid makes a good small game load for head shots or select body shots. It will also be a reasonable choice for stopping a bear, cougar or human that is attacking unprovoked, or a wounded, sick or crazy animal that is typically not inherently dangerous. If and animal is aggressive, working the lever or other noise will give away your location and may incite them to go through with an attack. If the slightest chance of an attack is a consideration you need to be ready for that right now, not after unloading-reloading or tinkering and thinking.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

AJMD429 wrote:Remember the 12-gauge shotgun add-ons that went on the AR-15's to look like the M-203's added to the M-16's...?
If I'm going to be in bear country, the 203 works just fine for me... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I totally agree that if you are carrying any gun - handgun or long-gun for bear protection that it should be loaded with that in mind. You can carry small game loads, etc. to use as needed but keep the think loaded for bear as you move about.

Really, if you think about it, a .22LR pistol is very light... and easy to pack on your belt. The levergun can then be loaded exclusively with your protection rounds.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Malamute wrote:When actually "hunting" small game, I just keep a small game round in the chamber, otherwise, I keep several in the back of my belt so I can reach them easily, but won't mistake them for "real " loads if I needed to top it off quickly. I usually carry a few light loads in my pocket, and only about 3 in the belt.
Almost exactly how I've done it for 35 years.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Never got into a bad situation and wished I had a smaller gun :wink:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I could stick with either of my "deer" rifles and be happy. Southpaw Remmy 700 in 06, or Marlin 1895GS. But, since I very rarely go to Grizzly country, for most of my "woods loafing" as opposed to desert roaming a Marlin Model 39 and a .45 Colt Blackhawk do just fine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Remington 870 12ga with a rifled slug barrel with open adj rifle sights.
Ist shell in chamber could be your #6 shot for the small game.Rest would be 385gr Nosler Partition Golds @ 2000fps.

It kills deer well from 1-200 yards after that 1st shot killed your rabbit.
It kills grizzly very well too.
Gun is fast/accurate/and very powerful.
Actually its a .50cal rifle in that config that also shoots 12ga shot.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Remember the 12-gauge shotgun add-ons that went on the AR-15's to look like the M-203's added to the M-16's...?
If I'm going to be in bear country, the 203 works just fine for me... :lol:
Hey awp, I like you banner. I was talking to a young lady the other day, and she had never heard of Blazing Saddles. What is this world comming to when one of the greatest works of satire is unknown to our young?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad