OT - Spam Phone Calls ESPECIALLY those about Car Warranty...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

OT - Spam Phone Calls ESPECIALLY those about Car Warranty...

Post by Hobie »

I'm tired and cranky and angry with myself for a bonehead move yesterday and then for the upteenth time I get three different calls this morning about my car warranty expiring (which one, who knows, they don't say) without ID asking me to press one or two or do something else. I've got all my numbers on the do not call list but still get calls. I know they are a scam of some sort because if it was truly for say, my F150, they would say something "Like, hey Mr. ________, I'm Joe Blow from Ford Motor company calling about the warranty on your 200_ Ford F150 which is about to expire. Are you sure you don't want to extend that warranty?" Anyway, I'm burning right now.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Ya know, I look forward to those calls.

'specially on whiskey night!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Callers have about 3 seconds to impress me or they get a NoThankYou and a click.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Cutter Has it right. 'specially on whiskey night!them Guys don't like to here me sing Jonny Cash. they go away.Jim.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would say that I've gotten at least 500 of these calls about my "car warranty" expiring. Most every time I just hang up the minute I know what the call is.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I'm lucky, I have a surname that can't be pronounced correctly unless you have heard me pronounce it for you. It comes in handy as I can identify who I want to talk to in about 2 seconds, otherwise-- click!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hobie,

Me too....not as many but probably at least 70 or 80. I try to *69' em but of course it comes back untracable. Usually they call as soon as my little 6 month old has fallen asleep :x
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Can we say:

:twisted: Not that I'd acutally do it...
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

cnj I like your style. :wink: That has worked for me but it hurts my ears as much or more than theirs. The calls do give me a chance to practice my Turret's syndrome though :twisted: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

On beer night, I'll let them go thru the whole nine yards, then ask them for their home number so I can let them know my decision. What's that, you say? You don't do business at home? Well, you big dummie, I don't either...CLICK! (Resisting temptation to use evil icon)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

My wife likes to say," Huh? What? Ok." repeatedly untill they figure she's hackin on them.

If you can get them to hang up, with no cursing on your part, you get a point!

I had one babe from a loan company on the line for several minutes a while back. I was trying to get her to help me work on the JD, but she wasn't any help. When she finnaly hung up, I had just asked her ,"Where should I buy plugs, cuz I think this one might be fowled."
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The car warranty folks that call here use a recorded msg.. But the most sure fire way I have discovered to stop most of them cold is to answer with a cheery, Hola!.. If it goes any farther than that in English, then I use my best Speedy Gonzales No Sauveeee... If they start speaking Spanish I just hang up..,
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Most all the calls I get now are pre-recorded so you CAN'T ask them a question...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Ya kinda have to go where the flow takes ya.

I have friends that got rid of there home phones and strictly use cell phones
to avoid the hassles.

With my wifes business we don't have that luxury, instead, as soon as I get
home from work I go around and shut off all the ringers except the one on
our coffee table(that one is put on low). So while we are watching TV or
having a family chat, which includes the honey-do list or the "riot act".
I'll hear the phone ring, look at the caller ID, if I know the # it gets answered
if I don't I just hit the "off" button and it goes to our message machine.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hobie,
Try going to www.tommabe.com and listen to some of his stuff. Maybe you'll get a few ideas.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Heck, I get the calls and the junk mail about that. These folks are so smart, they don't realize I bought my last auto in '82. I wonder if they would offer a warranty on my Jeep. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

"Hello"?

"Yes sir, is this Mr XXXX"?

"Oops, someone is at the door". "Hold please". (go back to reading paper). 5 minutes later if they are still on the line, shout loudly "who left the phone off the hook?" And hang it up.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I have a friend who is an ex leo. When he gets a live one he leads them to believe that they have just called the number of a homicide scene (with him as the victim). He tells them that the call is being traced and that they will be listed as a suspect. Questions include their relationship to the victim, when did they last see them and instructions to stay on the line untill the trace is compleated and the local sherrif can arrive.

I wouldn't be able to keep from laughing, so have never tried it. I do try to waste as much of their time as I can. If everyone they called could waste 5 minutes of their time the entire industry would go bankrupt in a few months. Sometime I can't and sometimes I get ticked off and don't but when I can manage it it sure is fun.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I get calls, and voice mails on my cellphone from collection agencies wanting to collect a debt. I get to listen to this long spiel about paying my debt to this agency, assorted threats, dire consequences, then a toll free number to reach them, all the while, the minutes are rolling off my tracphone(you know, the one I need for my job, that the county doesn't reimburse me for). I usually wait at least 24 hours for my blood pressure to go back down then give them a call back: Hello, this is Deputy Sheriff XWY, Agency XWY, I'm NOT BLAH, I don't KNOW BLAH, If you send a warrant, I'll go look for him, but If I get another call from you about this, on my work cellphone, and it not about said warrant, The SD Attorney General's Office is gonna call your 1-800 # for a CHAT about the SD laws on phone harassment. That does seem to work.

The latest ones are emails to my phone: they cost 30min each :shock: to answer, I've only answered one(car warranty, sheesh my newest car is a 1988). I don't even know my email address for that phone how the h#@$ do they know it. I no longer answer emails to my phone.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith