Hot day at the range!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Hot day at the range!

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Well, this week I took a break from skeet shooting and pulled out 3 levers.
Headed out to the local public range around 9 am...and it was pretty warm already!
Mid 80s.....I was glad to see the place was packed. All on the pistol range...
and only 2 guys on the rifles range! Heres the view from my 100 yard station
Started out shooting the 22 trapper. My 10 shot groups were a consistant 2 1/2" with
a couple flyers each time...I even shot at a bottle cap a few time and hit it..to my surprise..
Yeah..yeah...I know....whats that handle doing on my 9422.......it came with it...
Simmons 22mag 3x9x32
For some reason I shoot better at objects than at paper targets...
Then I pulled out the Winchester 92 in 38-40, mfr 1926, my favorite shooter.
The load was 8.5 of Unique...starline brass, winchester primers, and a 180gn RNFP bullet
from magnus bullets...The best i could do was a 3 7/16" group at 100 yards...from the bench
I left my shooting glasses in the truck and shot with my regular glasses with the bifocals.
kept having to slide the glasses down my nose to get a better view.....getting old i guess!
I also shot my winchester SRC 44 mag, and could barely keep them on the paper...
Just awful....240gn JHP with 11 grains of unique....winchester primers and brass...
Not happy with that load at all....By the time I left the range at 2:30, it was 98 degrees...
Cant wait for cooler weather....I am ready to move to the mountains of TN or MT
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hot day at the range!

Post by Stan in SC »

You said that for some reason you do better shooting at objects than at paper targets.I have that same thought.A lot of times I will take a bowling pin and shoot at it and I seem to do better most times doing that than at paper targets.Reactive targets are a lot more fun.
A good range report.Thank you.
That is a beautiful 38-40.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice tres of levers there mate. Walking back and forth to check targets at 100 yds. in 90 degree heat isn't any fun is it. Summer time shooting around here normally is just like that and right now it is. Summer finally seemed to show up.
Old Law Dawg
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Stan in SC wrote:You said that for some reason you do better shooting at objects than at paper targets.I have that same thought.A lot of times I will take a bowling pin and shoot at it and I seem to do better most times doing that than at paper targets.Reactive targets are a lot more fun.
A good range report.Thank you.
That is a beautiful 38-40.

Stan in SC
I'm convinced that there is really something to that. I have friend who goes to Camp Perry and can shoot a bang up job there but bring him out for just plinking at random ranges and he admits, he stinks. I've never been a good bullseye shooter (heck, I'm barely a decent one) but I've always been very good at plinking. Give me random sized targets at random ranges, I'm as good as anyone in our club. Golf balls at 50 to 160yds are a ton of fun with my leverguns. I've decided that my mind gets bored quickly with a fixed target at a fixed range and it starts to wander. I've noticed this my whole life. I guess that's why I've never gotten into something like our CMP or the lined up steel pigs and turkeys shoots, but random pins, plates, and especially clay pigeons from 5 to 300yds are my cup of tea. Offhand snap shooting is also more my style rather than extremely slow deliberate aiming off of the bags. But heck, I'm in it for the fun so that's what I'm really looking for.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What are all the 'walls' between you and the targets...?

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

AJMD429 wrote:What are all the 'walls' between you and the targets...?

I believe thay are there for a few reasons...
1. They want you to shoot into the mound....so they can collect the lead $$$$$
2. richochets....
3. the walls are at 25, 50 and 75 yards and thers pvc pipes in the grass to hold target frames.
4. they dont want guys like me to shoot at cans, pine cones, tennis balls and such
laying in the grass.....which we did all the time at the old range...We had them flying
all over the place!.....

which brings me back to shooting at objects instead of paper.....
I think you guys are right...I was getting pretty bored shooting at the paper targets...
so I started shooting at the bottle caps...and chunks of wood...even old brass cases...
that i set up down by the mound....suckers were real hard to see with iron sight....
Its more fun watching something getting whacked and disappearing....than punching hole
in a piece of paper.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Ronnie, it's way too hot to be out there this time of year. We should get together for some range time in November when it's more comfortable. I like the trapper but I love that 92 in 38-40.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Enjoyed the report. I am especially pleased to see your old 38-40 doing some shooting. That group will still put venison in the freezer at under 100 yards.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice shooters!

No use coming any further North. Ain't been any nicer up here. Upper 80's and 90's for weeks!
This Sucks!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So cool! I am jealous - need to get out to shoot some levers here very soon!!! :mrgreen: