A-MAX vs. Leverevolution bullets in Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nate_o23
Levergunner

A-MAX vs. Leverevolution bullets in Levergun

Post by nate_o23 »

Just wondering if the Hornady A-Max bullets with the polymer tips can used in place of the leverevolution bullets in a 30-30 levergun? I would think that the polymer tip on the a-max would work the same as the one on the Leverev. and be safe to use in a tube mag. Is this right?
Molon Labe, lord barry
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: A-MAX vs. Leverevolution bullets in Levergun

Post by Terry Murbach »

NO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hard plastic vs gummy bear like material in the leverevolution stuff. BIG difference.

Aside from that, the A-MAX are long for caliber bullets giving high ballistic coefficients which is a good thing EXCEPT that they might not work in various cartridges due to required cartridge overall length, throats, etc. in certain combinations.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Last winter I built a little contraption to test various bullet tips against various primers. With a big whack (many times what you can generate in a tubular magazine in a rifle) I could get both sharp hollow points and the polymer tips to act as a "firing pin" and set off the primer. The old-style lead tipped spitzers wouldn't set off the primer in my homemade test-apparatus: they just deformed into round-noses. Just confirming that Terry and Hobie are right -- the polymer tips do not act anything like the gummy tips.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

earlmck wrote:Last winter I built a little contraption to test various bullet tips against various primers. With a big whack (many times what you can generate in a tubular magazine in a rifle) I could get both sharp hollow points and the polymer tips to act as a "firing pin" and set off the primer. The old-style lead tipped spitzers wouldn't set off the primer in my homemade test-apparatus: they just deformed into round-noses. Just confirming that Terry and Hobie are right -- the polymer tips do not act anything like the gummy tips.
Is there a thread on that somewhere? That seems like a fascinating test you've done.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
nate_o23
Levergunner

Post by nate_o23 »

OK good info to know.
Molon Labe, lord barry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

earlmck wrote:Last winter I built a little contraption to test various bullet tips against various primers. With a big whack (many times what you can generate in a tubular magazine in a rifle) I could get both sharp hollow points and the polymer tips to act as a "firing pin" and set off the primer. The old-style lead tipped spitzers wouldn't set off the primer in my homemade test-apparatus: they just deformed into round-noses. Just confirming that Terry and Hobie are right -- the polymer tips do not act anything like the gummy tips.
Thats cool, love to hear about back yard testing like this. Prolly why Paco always clipped the tips off of bullets used in tubular mags. You dont have a 25/20 too test/try this on do you? I'll supply the bullets :) Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!