OT- Small base dies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

OT- Small base dies?

Post by iceman »

I have limited experience in reloading for the Savage 99. I have loaded and fired maybe 40 rounds through my 99F in 300 savage using Lee dies and not had any problems with extraction etc. My loads are about .5 to 1 gr off max using IMR4895 and RL15. I sold my 308 dies to a young new loader and now have just gotten a mod 99 in 308. Are small base dies really needed? All my other levers (30-30 and 356 win) model 94s use standard dies without any issues. All my other 308 win rifles have been bolts so never an issue using regular dies. All comments welcome. Thanks
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Small base dies?

Post by damienph »

It is my understanding that small base dies are for use with ammo being fired in semi-auto rifles. I don't think that there is any need for them in when resizing .308 brass for your Savage.

I have two .223 ARs and have had a 30-06 Remington 7400 and a Garand; I've always used standard sizing dies with them.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I had problems closing my chamber on my Handloads in my BLR .308 I pulled the bullets on the ones that i had the problem with, then resized with RCBS small base dies. Problem solved !
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

I use small base dies for two of my rifles. One is a BAR 30-06 semi auto and the other is a Rem. model 760 in .270. More often than not the BAR would not chamber at all until I switched to small base dies. The .270 would chamber, but not until you used excessive force. Small base dies fixed that problem as well. One needs to keep in mind that if there were two identical rifles sitting on the shelf at your local gun shop, one might be just fine with standard dies and the other might require small base dies. Also consider this: If there were two identical standard dies sets sitting on the shelf, one may size brass just fine for your rifle, the other may not. There are a lot of unforeseen variables.

This topic can be argued back and forth and forth and back, and the bottom line is you need to try perhaps numerous dies (have lots of good buddies!), whether standard or small base to find a set that sizes properly for your firearm. And then.........that die set may or may not size properly for your buddies rifle.

Don't 'ya sometimes just love our hobby/affliction sometimes?
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Had a nice Belgium made BLR in 308.. tried to love it.. shot well, but needed small base dies to make it work... couldn't put up with it any more and sold it.. life is too short to put up with that.. just my humble opinion.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nothing wrong with using small base dies if your rifles chamber needs them.
Have fun!! :wink:
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Some years ago my late father-in-law bought a new commerative Savage 99 .308 with an octagon barrel. It would not chamber my handloads until I switched to a small base sizer die. All was good after that. I always figured it just had a tight chamber, and the cure was easy enough.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll go with standard Lee dies that I can get locally and hope alll works out. If Tehy don't do the job I'll have to look around for a small base. Nobody locally have small base on hand.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I always use small base dies on levers, pumps and autoloaders. The benefit is the ammo turns out at minimium specs. The negative is that you 'work' the brass case more. I'd rather get a few less reloads than have a round that will not chamber at the range or heaven forbid, when I need a fast second shot.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I bought a lee set of dies and some once fired brass, resized a bunch and the action closes with no hint of overly tight fit. Thanks for all the info.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Unless you need caliber specific dies. A 444 Marlin sizer will put all 308 case head type rounds about 4-5 thousands smaller than new.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I use small base dies in my pump rifles, and in my large CF lever action rifles with bottle neck cases. I have also loaded with regular dies. I can not notice any difference in the accuracy. And the small base die shells load a bit easier. So I stay with the small base dies. They work for me. But supreme accuracy is not my main goal with pump and lever action rifles. 100% reliability is more important to me. Tom.