Pistol Calibers in a Lever Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Pistol Calibers in a Lever Gun

Post by Bigahh »

Well guys, it's a balmy -4 degrees outside with high winds. All my activities will be indoors today. Just want to get some opinions on this subject.

If you were only allowed 1 levergun in the 3 standard pistol calibers (357,44,45lc) what would that caliber be, and why? My answer is a .357, because I believe my 30-30 will cover for the other 2.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would choose the .45 Colt. They can be loaded up to surpass the 30-30, or can be dumbed down to an easy plinking load. The .45 Colt responds well to cast bullets, and is usually very accurate. When I had my Marlin Cowboy in .45 Colt, I loaded some loads using Cast Performance Bullets and some RE#7, Rifle powder. The sound as it hit the target was a resounding TWWWAAACCCK!!! There were WFNGC. I'd hate to be on the other end of that bullet, and yes they beat out the .44 Mag also!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I second that emotion. I love the .357 also. Glad that I can have more than one. :wink:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

.357, just my preference.

...and if I had a .30-30, I wouldn't really need any of them.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Given just one choice, I'd have to choose the 41 mag. I'm not sure why, other than I like being a little different. Under 100 yards, they (357, 41, 44, 45) would all bring down game, so the hunter would have to account for any edge one might have over the others.
Well done is better than well said.
SoupOrMan
Levergunner

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'd go with the .357, as it feeds the same rounds as my revolver.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

One more for the 45 Colt. As much as I love my Rossi 357, my Malin 45 will shoot circles around it accuracy wise and can be loaded very hot. Plus I have a second 45 Lever on the way. Can't get enough of the 45 Colt.
Not givin' up my 92/ 480 Ruger though :D

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think I will stick with the 44mag, because I am used to it. Plus I only own one 45 colt and it's a peacemaker replica, and I don't want the chance of getting a hot handload mixed in with lighter loads for the handgun.

And as a general rule, if I want to just use some factory loads, I can find a lot more choices at the local gunshops in 44mag. or 44special, but when I ask for 45 colt they always try to push those anemic cowboy loads, and often don't have anything else.

But I choose the 44mag mostly because I already own two rifles and two different pistols for that caliber, with my favorite being my newly aquired Browning 92.

The .357 is sweet, but I doubt if I would choose it for my only pistol caliber leveraction, with one reason being, it's harder to shove those smaller rounds past the loading gate. But I do have a nice Winchester 94 angle eject trapper in .357, and it's always at the front of safe, and always loaded with a few jacketed hollowpoints, just in case I need a quick rifle for varmits around the house and farm.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45 Colt is my choice.

I have the 30-30, and the .45 Colts in lever guns already, and I have had a .357 lever gun.

As good as the .357 is, as accurate as it can be, as good on game as it is, the .45 Colt is all those things and it punches a much bigger hole.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jschance
Levergunner

Post by jschance »

Although I've had great luck with my .357, if I had to choose one, it'd be the .44 Mag. My .357 handloads are dandy, but if I had to pick up something in a store, chances of having what I need would be slim. With the .44 Mag, most of what I would be able to buy over the counter would be adequate for most any game in N. America (avoiding the light weight hollow-point rounds).

Add in the fact that I've got thousands of pieces of .44 brass laying around (.44 Mag, Special and Russian), I know I can keep the thing fed.

Make mine a .44
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I have levers in .357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt. I have the most shooting experience with the 45 Colt levers, and my knee-jerk reaction was to type "45 Colt." However, giving some thought to it, the 44 Magnum can be loaded up or down and is very versatile in that regard. And because the same can be said of the 45 Colt, I'll go with the knee-jerk after all.

45 Colt.

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I agree with jayhawker on the .41 magnum! I only have 2 levers in pistol calibers a .45 Colt and a .41 mag. While I dearly love the .45 Colt, The .41 mag. makes one heck of a levergun cartidge and does well with cast bullets at moderate loads (the 170 grainer from Penn bullets works great) to heavy jacketed bullets loaded into deer or hog thumpers.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have a Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt and it's a great rifle. It's accurate, I can load up or down and as already stated it makes a nice big hole. Even if the bullet doesn't expand it starts out at almost a half inch.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have all three right now, but if I had to choose one it would be the Marlin 44 Mag. The 45 is a Winny with the hideous crater in the side. I could live without that one. The 357 is a Rossi. While it is a great little gun, it is not as versatile as the 44. And, well, it's not a Marlin. :wink:
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

+1 on the big hole, .45 it is.

Hartman
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have only one pistol cartridge levergun and I chose the 44 magnum. I have never felt limited with it.

I started centerfire handgun shooting with the 44, so it made sense to get a 44 mag lever gun.
If I would have started with 45 Colt that would have been fine.

I own a few 357 revolvers and love them. Now here's the thing, I have never shot a 357 levergun. Many people seem enamored by the 357 out of a lever.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think the .357 Mag. Especially with the cost of ammo, handloaded or not, this is the one for versatility and cost effectiveness. We might come to that someday. Best to plan ahead and let others have the second best.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

If you can have another, the .357 is the way to go! That speaks volumes for the 44 and 45! The 357 is the route I took when I had the choice between the 3 considering I already had a 375 Winchester.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
454cl
Levergunner

Post by 454cl »

I like my 357CB a lot.Looking to get a 35 Rem next.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

.45colt like there was every any doubt. :D Big hole in big hole out.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Well, since I just walked in the door from out shooting one, I guess I'll be going with my old tried and true .44 mag :lol: Don't feel undergunned with one, between rifles and pistols, the caliber has taken almost 20 bull elk for me :shock:

My wife has one in .357 but when it comes down to going out shooting with me, she wants the 44 Marlin CB that sits by her side of the bed.

Around our house, a 44 always gets the nod because it gets the job done from shooting grouse up to elk. Don't have much need for more power than the 44 :wink:

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Pitts on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

JReed,

Spoken like a true Marine! My hat is off to you!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

.44 mag.....it is all you really need in Oconto County, even more useful than the .30-30.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

another vote for the .357 here. Several pistols and 1 lever in that caliber.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Oh decision, decisions. It is so hard as I have 45 and 357. I guess I would go 45 because you can do so much with it. That 357 sure is fun to shoot though.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

Gotta go with 44 mag. I can get ammo/components most anywhere in Alberta. Lots of fun to shoot, both my Win and Marlin are quick to the shoulder.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
Hook686
Levergunner

Post by Hook686 »

I'd go with my Marlin 1894C, in .357 magnum, simply because I can load it down to lighter weight rounds, for lighter game, all the way up to 30-30 level load, for bigger game.

Post by mad mucus »

.45 COLT... easy to load with black or smokeless, accurate, sweet to shoot, annnnnnnd a big hole.

Mucus 8)
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

pistol calibers

Post by brucew44guns »

I picked up a new 1894 Marlin in .44 last year, and really like it. But now that you guys are saying all these good things about the .45 I guess I feel duty bound to order one in .45 as well, thank you all for giving me good excuse.
Last edited by brucew44guns on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Every one keeps saying "big hole in big hole out" Thats great as long as you don't wanna eat the rabbit or other small furry or feathered critter.
I love my Three Five Seven and "small hole in small hole out" seems good to me, whether its a rabbit or a buffalo a bullet under the earhole should leave it dead. If the whole country (or world) turns to ka-ka I can carry a heck of a lot more 357 ammo than 45 or anything else.
Of course I could be wrong, but thats impossible :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gundownunder,

The .45 Colt can be down loaded to bop bunnies, or up loaded to take bigger critters.
Same with the .357, .44 M, or 41 M, .

You just gotta tailor the load to the target. If you wanna eat it, you can't explode it. And the last rabbit I shot with a .357 exploded. WAY too much velocity, and the wrong bullet.

You are right about the ability to carry more ammo though. In my mind that is the only advantage of the smaller cartridge.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Pistol Calibers in a Lever Gun

Post by Griff »

Bigahh wrote:If you were only allowed 1 levergun in the 3 standard pistol calibers (357,44,45lc) what would that caliber be, and why?
.45Colt. Strickly because of bullet selection. I think that there are a greater number of bullet styles, weights and construction in this chambering. There may be more or the same in the .357, but why not "GO LARGE" whent he opportunity presents itself.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

gundownunder
Levergunner 1.0

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:34 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every one keeps saying "big hole in big hole out" Thats great as long as you don't wanna eat the rabbit or other small furry or feathered critter.
That is what my 20 gauge and 22mag are for. But the good Ole .45 works great on rabbits as long as you keep it to head shots :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pistol Calibers in a Lever Gun

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Bigahh wrote:Well guys, it's a balmy -4 degrees outside with high winds. All my activities will be indoors today. Just want to get some opinions on this subject.

If you were only allowed 1 levergun in the 3 standard pistol calibers (357,44,45lc) what would that caliber be, and why? My answer is a .357, because I believe my 30-30 will cover for the other 2.
"If you were only allowed 1 levergun"
Forget that!!!!!!!! But if I were to choose one,
it would be the 44 mag just because of my reloading set up...
I dont like limitations....I like shooting all the pistols rounds
in rifles....from 22, 38/357, 38-40, 44-40, 44sp/44mag, & 45LC
and with a well placed shot with the right load and bullets
you can take decent size hogs and deer..with the exception
of 22 and 38s
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

I'll stick with the .44 Mag set up since that's what I have. To tell the truth I was half way to a .357 pair (Ruger NMBH) until I came across a bargin on a 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag. I finished it off with a Ruger NMSBH.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I like .357 for pretty well the same reasons as everyone else, and with a Python and Rossi (well, I gave the 20 inch blue to my son but am waiting on a custom from Steve Young, a SS Trapper) along with a New Vaq .357 also coming from Steve I only have to stock up on LOTS of one size ammo. Can't wait! 8) :D 8)
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

The answer is simple for me! 44Mag as that's what I have. My 1894SS is a great rifle and I can always get ammo in most any store carrying munitions.
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

A Marlin in .45.

Versatility that is unsurpassed, especially with the addition of a second carrier to allow use of .45 Colt and Cowboy .45 Special

from 300+ grains at yee haw velocity to 120s at popgun velocities that make it like a big ole .22, it does it all. From fire breathing monster slayer to powder and lead sipping plinker, ya can't beat it.

HB Barnstormer 120-45 bullet
Certified gun nut
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

WHAT CALIBER?

Post by blueroan »

I have both 44 and 357 1894 Cowboys, and Original Size RUGER VAQUEROS/BISLEYS to side them plus a number of bullet moulds of various weights in both calibers.

You can load a 44 down pretty low, but you can only load a 357 so high. Not that the 357 isn't a good choice, but the 44 is better. If you need something small and quiet, an 1897 Cowboy and CCI Long CBs is a nice set up. There are some good reasons to choose a 45 Colt also.

You have to lay out what you want/need in a firearm; then you can make a decision. Sometimes facts get in the way of opinions.

For more serious uses, I've got 1895 Cowboys and a 30/30 Cowboy (took awhile to find that jewel at a price I could afford!) But the 44 Cowboy is my "go to gun.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Teek
Levergunner

Post by Teek »

.357 if I could have only one...but as long as this is America, and we have a 2d Amendment to the Constitution that protects "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms..." then I'll just keep 'em all!

My choice for caliber is based upon gun selection. If I can only have one, then I can conceal my Ruger SP 101 a lot better than I can my Ruger New Vaquero or Beretta Stampede in .45 Colt. I can carry a small .357 revolver more discreetly and comfortably than I can a snubbie in .44 Mag. I can shoot it a lot better, too. For the bigger guys out there, or those that live in the sticks, or at least close by, then .44 mag is the way to go. For those that actually know how to make black powder, then the .45 Colt is the way to go. .357 ammo is cheap to buy, cheap to handload for, more of it can be carried, and will get more tasks done where I live.

It's my "utility cartridge"...it's not necessarily the best for anything, but it will do anything I need it to. I load for my weakest gun in the caliber, and in .357 that's either the Ruger SP 101 or the S&W M-65 K-frame.

Now, if the question is what's my favorite handgun caliber levergun? .45 Colt!

Now here's a thought...if you carry both handgun and rifle, carry a handgun for the light stuff (caliber of your choice), and a rifle in a RIFLE caliber for the big or long distance stuff.

Teek
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

I think the .357 Mag. Especially with the cost of ammo, handloaded or not, this is the one for versatility and cost effectiveness. We might come to that someday. Best to plan ahead and let others have the second best.

Hobie
+1! With 180 gr handloads or Cor-Bon factory loads, the .357 carbine is close enough, ballistically, to be considered equal to the 30-30 out to 100-125 yds. Add to that the use of economical .38 spl wadcutters for plinking or small game hunting and, just about anything between these two loads for self-defense purposes and you've pretty much got the bases covered! I have several other levers, .357, .44 and 30-30, but the 1894C is the one that I would keep above all others!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

40 Cal. The grand ole 38-40 will do all that needs to be done.-------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I would have to go with the .357. I have a .44 mag and .357 (both Rossi's) they both work and shoot great. I would pick the former because ammo is so much less expensive and I dont reload at this time. Plus I have two .356 pistols :)
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy Boys

This is my first post here, I couldn't pass this one up. I dunno what you boys consider to be the '3 standard pistol calibers (357,44,45lc)' but I can tell you that for me, it would be 44-40, loaded with Black Powder. I have a Winchester Model 1892, made in 1894, a Marlin Model 1894, made in 1895, an Uberti '73, and an Uberti 1860 Henry. All are chambered in 44-40, and I shoot them all with Black Powder in CAS. No offense boys, but a lever gun chambered for 45 Colt just ain't my cup of tea. I won a '92 chambered for 45 Colt in a raffle a couple of years ago and sold it to help pay for the Henry.

I do have a little Marlin 1894C chambered in 357Mag/38Sp. That's Mrs Johnson's Cowboy rifle. I load it with light 38 Sp loads for her, but it is a fun gun to fool around with at the range with full factory 357 loads.