OT - Bug out bags (long)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Bug out bags (long)

Post by lever-4-life »

Swampmans post got me thinking, what do you have in your bag? Do you have a bag?

This is my bag

It contains:
springfield m6 scout
glock 23
2 thermal tarps
pillow
mountain house meals
sog power lock
puma folder
leatherman folder
john ek bowie
250 yard spool spwder wire
200 yards string
50' rope
ammo
folding saw
fishing tackle
radios

the Ek

the bag

I also have a boy scout mess-kit, sharping stone, 2 32oz naligen bottles, cliff bars, fire starters, walkie talkie, and as always my spyderco, leatherman, cell phone, and wallet.

If I left anything out please let me know :)
Break on through to the other side!!!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Looks like a pretty nice setup.

Are you a Hoodlum?

http://www.survival.com/IVB/
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I recommend a Boy Scouts manual. It will show you the basics on most survival situations and gives good reading on down time. It's interesting that I have a book called the Special Forces Survival Manual that has chapters on various survival topics that are almost word for word the same as the BSA manual. Learn that book and taking off won't require as much gear.
As for your bag, nice stuff. I like the fish spear head. Try tying a lanyard through the screw hole. Then you lessen the chance of losing it when deployed. Drop the pole and pull the string. The leather-man is a great choice. A 100 ft. rappel rope and a couple carabiners and gloves would be nice. Stocking hat a must. And please to every person in every house in America, get a compass and learn to use it.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Swampman, thanks for the link!! looks like a cool site, It was late when I posted and forgot to mention I have a compass and topo in there as well. I also forgot to mention cloths :shock: Two pairs of b.d.u., 3 t-shirts, four changes of socks and underpants. Will ad the stocking hat and gloves a.s.a.p.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OH SHUCKS, I READ THE TITLE AND THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT WIMMEN...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

We all have bugout bags in this household, each of them customised to the user. Since I travel away from home every day I take mine along with me in the truck. The kids bags are kept at home since the schools are funny about such things. We do have a few things in the girls school backpacks to make life easier for them if we are separated or the school officials will not release the kids to parents. Tracphone, phone number list, photographs of family members and some cash. This is for emergency use only and they understand.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Well, gents, I cannot say that I have applied anything in this book, while I was walking to where I used to shoot, but it is full of survivalist-themed stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6930847169

My father-in-law is a Scout leader, and enjoyed the copy that my wife & I gave him.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Looks like a good set-up. Some more things you might want to think about--a small roll of duct tape or gaffer's tape, extra batteries for flashlight and radios (an extra bulb for the light might also be good), a first aid kit of some sort (make sure you can treat blisters), a bandana or two, and a hatchet.

I need to get one of these set up. Thanks for posting!

Rob
NRA
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

I agree on adding a first aid kit. Should have the smallest tube of neosporin in it that you can find.

I would also add mosquito netting to cover your head.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A baggie full of AAA batteries and a head-lamp light using them. Get one with multiple LED's so if one burns out (they eventually do) you have still some light. The head-lamps are so useful we keep one for each family member hung on the hall coat racks, for chores or power outages.

Pick an antibiotic you're not allergic to, and pack some. Cipro and Keflex are cheap now, and decent for lots of respiratory and urinary and skin infections. Cipro and Doxycycline are good for some of the weird/terror infections that are possible, but DON'T EVER use outdated doxycyline (or any tetracycline) for they turn into a toxic chemical which will cause permanent kidney damage.

Consider 'modular' packs, where you have a big duffle/backpack you can put everything in, and several smaller packs to load it up with or grab individually. We found some combination duffle/backpacks at CheaperThanDirt big enough you can put a 5-gallon pail with a screw-top lid in them :!: , and have another couple 'gallons' of room for a sleeping bag or whatever, plus some side pouches. You can keep little separate packs with things you need to rotate like food or batteries (keep them OUT of the devices in case they corrode), and you may want some expensive things or things you also use for other times, like radios, binoculars, or guns, separately.

Don't forget zip-locks, trash bags, and lots of extra socks :oops: and maybe a deck of cards.

CONSIDER once a month or even each weekend, spending 24-48 hours 'off the grid' with your family. You can get used to what you need and how do live out of a backpack that way. In the summer we will sometimes grab our 'go' packs and head out to spend the night or weekend at the little 'shelter house' we use for a range that is behind our house. It isn't exactly a trip to Alaska, but it gets us away from the conveniences we're all too used to these days.

Just some thoughts I had... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

A number of years ago when I started traveling about for work in a company truck, I became aware that I needed to put together an assortment of things to have "just in case", like I do in my personal truck. This evolved into a fanny pack that holds enough to get me by in any number of circumstances.

high energy food bars & trail-mix
personal medications
small first aid kit (plus sunblock wipes,super glue,butterfly closures,eye drops,etc.)
leatherman multi-tool
LED mini mag-light w/extra batteries
NAA .22lr / .22mag w/assorted ammunition & shot shells
matches/lighter/magnifier glass/small flint & steel
compressed fuel tablets
two bright glow sticks
compass w/mirror
small notepad & pen
approx. $50 small bills
fixed blade knife & small wet stone
canteen on belt w/tin cup & purification tablets
about forty feet of parachute cord
three "space blankets"
two large trash bags
four large zip-lock bags
toilet paper
whistle
wrist watch
small whiskey flask
large silk bandanna
small fishing kit (line,hooks,flys,split shot,small bobber)
wool watch cap

I generally have a jacket, hat, and sunglasses along with me. I always have a small Swiss army knife and a decent lock blade folder on me. A spare set of clothes is in the work truck already.

That's about it. It's a good enough assortment to make me feel good about having it along.....and I do! That was the whole point in putting together a kit small enough to be portable and always have it near.

Hank
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My daily travel bag. The 12 gage and Glock are only weekend guns as I'm not allowed to carry during the week ( something I hope to change).

kabar folder
matches
lighters
fuel bars ( for wet wood)
light stick
Under Armor Balacava
compass
whistle
led flashlight
First aid/ survival kit in water proof container.
two Swiss army knives.
Cabin Keys/ leather lead.
Magnesium fire starter.
British surplus sewing kit ( Needle, thread, scissors, buttons).

Just added the 12 Ga.H&R.
Glock 26 & spare mag( G17)

Anything I missed?

Have a Larger one but it gets robbed every hunting season :D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

AJMD, if that stands for a real MD you hit the nail on the head with the antibiotic! do you know the shelf life of amoxicillian?

2Ndovc, What model Glock is that, I am considering a M20 10mm or a Kimber 10mm to outfit my bag??? A lot of the rest of your setup looks like mine except I have a decidedly un-military looking Gregory pack to hold my gear. However, Maxpedition gear like you are using is GREAT gear! I use the Silva Ranger Compass too, anyone here should get topo maps of their area and a compass; then learn to use them both, it is fun and a useful skill!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Johnathan,

It's a G26, 9mm.

I'm a 1911 boy from way back, but when they brought out the green frames I had to have it. I bought a G19&26 at the same time. I use the 19 for IDPA shoots and the 26 for daily carry when I can. Can't say enough about the Glocks. Outstanding pistols!! A good friend of mine is a LEO and has been carring a Glock .40 for some time. When I told him I finally went over to the Austrian side I thought he was gonna kiss me :shock:

The holster is from Talon Tactical out of GA.
Can't go wrong w/ a 10mm. Great cartridge that I recently got into!! Can't wait to shoot something with it!!!!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

2Ndovc,

My Best friend is a Glock FANATIC, He has about a dozen of them (not exaggerating) . They are great in all aspects. Still, I find myself wedded to the 1911, not that it is better, just what I know. Heck, the Glock is probably "better" still my 1911 lives in my desk drawer and on my hip when legal. That is why, I think the Glock is a GREAT choice to put in a bag and live there "just in case". It comes close to replacing my GP100, .357 Blackhawk, .45 Combat Commander in one shot. Jack of all trades, master of none, which is exactly what I want if I have to walk through a city and across 50 miles of countryside with my family to safety, especially if I cannot carry a longgun.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

If I must give up much needed food, water, or supplies to carry a handgun it will be my S&W Combat Masterpiece or my Ruger .357 50th Anniv. Blackhawk.

Being able to use the same ammo in my Handi Rifle is a big plus. The single shot 20 gauge is awesome for putting meat in the pot.

Great looking stuff 2ndovc
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I put together a small first aid kit today, will add to when I have the chance.
As far as the pistol I am now a glock fan. It took me years to warm up to them but now I don't go anywhere without it. I was always a revolver shooter so as far as an auto is concerned a glock is about the closest thing to a revolver in use.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Glock?
When are you guys going to get serious?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Love those H and R Toppers/New England Firearm Singles! Extremely handy and next the M 16 and Mod. 94, it is the one gun I can shoot fast and instinctively. The one of the left is my 3rd Topper, my GrandDad's last gun that he bought and left to me in the 80's. Definitely a favorite. I prefer the beefier coil springs of the Winchesters for reliability but have still had good luck overall with the Hand R's(one mainspring failure over a lifetime). Neat posts fellas that are getting me to think about what I need to start packing.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Heck Mescalero! I didn't know this was serious :shock: :lol: :wink:
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Mescalero, would you please enlighten me why glocks are not serious. I dont want to start a huge debate I would like to hear your reasoning :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

If you are willing to trust your life to a semi, the Glock is the one to place that trust in.

Those are really nice C Cash. I like a single shot best.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

With regards to medicine has anyone here thought of the possibilities of using meds from the vet supply house on you and your family?
You need to cut a lot of red tape to get the stuff for yourself, but you can buy it mail order for your horse.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:With regards to medicine has anyone here thought of the possibilities of using meds from the vet supply house on you and your family?
You need to cut a lot of red tape to get the stuff for yourself, but you can buy it mail order for your horse.
Rusty <><
A friend who practices medicine in Canada (he's an M.D. but officially works at a factory job and practices on the side) says lots of his patients do that for antibiotics. They get their blood pressure meds and such over the internet. He sees patients who don't want to put up with the socialized BS they call health care there.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Don't know about the current crop but, the Springfield M6 reports I've read aren't very comforting? How does yours preform(pattern and shoot the .22LRs for accuracy)? The two I've had were junk! Nothing like the military originals. Maybe try a Henry or better yet get an older Stevens 22/410? In my experience, Springfield Armory is Brazilian made rejects.
Buy American!
One question, what exactly, is that wire looking thing, left side of the M6? The rest of your kit looks well thought out, to me.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

The M6 is the .22 hornet model, I have heard of some problems with them but mine has done o.k. I get 2'' groups at 35 yards off hand with the hornet. I have shot a few rabbit with the .410 and it worked on them. I have had good luck with C.Z. products and the m6 has preformed well for me. The ar-7's are also a good choice as well as the single shot shotguns. Hope this helped :D :D
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

C.Z. products, I thought these were made by Springfield Armory? Am I all wet on this?
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

You might want to include a few yo-yos (automatic fishing reels) You can catch supper while you gather fire wood and tomorrows lunch while you sleep. They also make great snare triggers for small game. $20 for a dozen stainless steel units and they weigh about 2 pounds. yo-yo is a brand name others are availible.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Please post a link to the traps (yoyo fishing reels) you mentioned?
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

The m6 is made for springfield by C.Z. :D
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Suggestions, some cheap, some not.

Long burning candles (10 hr)
Iodine. But date the bottle as it only last so long.
Small plastic container of alchol, needles and thread. You can leave the thread sticking out of a screw on cap. You can also put tape around the lid to keep the alchol from evaporating.
Cotton balls, plain and/or dipper. These can be dipped in wax, whole or half, then flattened and stored in a small film canister. Makes for great fire starter.
Water filter straws maybe another option for multiple people. I think they clean up to 20 gals each.
Rice and beans are a good food to pack as well, with a small metal pot for cooking.
Bandana's are good for arm slings but maybe a wrap for ankles/wrist.
Couple of rubber sterile gloves, medical type.
For hand to hand you might consider a collapsable baton.
Small monoscope or small binos might come in use.
Small gun cleaning kit, like the OTIS works and packs well.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

http://www.survival-gear.com/yo-yo-fishingreel.htm
With my luck it will come through as a dead link. They are also availible throuhg Bass Pro and are in the sporting goods department at Wal Mart.
Get the steel ones. The plastic ones that I tried didn't survive the first really hot day.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Blackhawk, with the added stuff you list, the load is building fast? Don't think I want to take home sink with me for a days hunting?
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

SB,

Not all the items listed are have to have. Some can and do go in my setup. Most weight little and take up very little space. Remeber a BOB is for survival and not hunting. Personally I try to make more room for gear than clothes anyway.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Blackhawk, my pockets are already full, on a hunting trip?
And don't forget, the more you carry, the easier it is to forget something?
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"Remeber a BOB is for survival and not hunting."

Exactly......

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jbm1968 wrote:AJMD, if that stands for a real MD you hit the nail on the head with the antibiotic! do you know the shelf life of amoxicillian?
Most antibiotics come out with shelf lives similar to dry cell batteries. Don't trust tetracycline/doxycycline unless it has an expiration date on it. Samples given out usually expire sooner. It should be printed right on the sample container, and if it a Rx you get filled, it will have usually a one-year 'expiration' date that is NOT the chemical expiration, but rather a can't-refill-after date; just ask the pharmacist for the 'real' date and write it on the container. Of course the disclaimer they will give you is that 'it depends on how it is stored.'

Store away from sun, perfectly dry, and cool. Kitchen vacuum-sealers seem like they'd work well, then put in an ammo can for your main stash, or smaller water/sun proof container for a day pack.

Amoxil and Cipro and TMP/SMX are all cheap so just throw them out after replacing them every few years.

jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Thank you for the answer. Good information to know.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I've got one put together, but I included a SOG battleaxe.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

AJMD,
thanks for the info
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Lever for life,
I don't want to get into a heated debate either.
I was advised against Glock ownership by people I think well of.
I went on the net and looked up Glock blow-ups, as you should & not let me sway you.
The blow up stuff is serious, but as you read further you wiil see recommendations NOT to use reloads or cast bullets.
These features seem to me NOT to bode well for someone considering a Glock for a personel firearm.
You would want your pistol to function in less than ideal conditions, and limiting yourself to factory loaded ammo, is reducing your options.
That is why I made the statement
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Seriously, what is the B.O.B. for? What are the circumstances when you would use it? I thought the idea was that something happens, you don't have time to get organized and pack, so you grab your bag and run out the door.

But I live in the city, and I could grab a bag and take off, but under normal circumstances it would take me 30 minutes to get out of town. If something happened to make me want to leave, everybody else would be trying to leave also and it would take me hours and hours to leave.

Now when I get out of town where am I going to go? Do I stop in a farmers field and set up camp, and start hunting squirrels? Need to add shelter to the BOB. If I'm going to stay there very long then maybe I need water and additional food too.

Back to the beginning, WHY would I need to bug out? Was there some kind of natural disaster? Why wouldn't I just stay home? A hurricane would surely be an excuse, but there is plenty of warning for that. Maybe an earthquake? Most of us could just stay where we were. Even if your dwelling was damaged somewhat, wouldn't you be better off staying there and making do rather than trying to drive out of town? Maybe it depends on what kind of dwelling we have, highrise apartment building vs. single family wood house.

It seems to me that any planning for emergencies would be better spent planning for other types of emergencies-
1. Prolonged utility outages- electricity, heat, water.
2. Breakdown in retail channels- food and gasoline.
3. Civil unrest- riots, etc.
In my mind most of these scenarios don't involve quickly abandoning your residence, but instead staying there and trying to survive.

Recognizing that things happen when we are away from home, additional preparedness should be done to cover scenarios when you might be at work, or travelling in your car. Each one needs different preparation.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

bj94 wrote:Seriously, what is the B.O.B. for? What are the circumstances when you would use it? I thought the idea was that something happens, you don't have time to get organized and pack, so you grab your bag and run out the door.

But I live in the city, and I could grab a bag and take off, but under normal circumstances it would take me 30 minutes to get out of town. If something happened to make me want to leave, everybody else would be trying to leave also and it would take me hours and hours to leave.

Now when I get out of town where am I going to go? Do I stop in a farmers field and set up camp, and start hunting squirrels? Need to add shelter to the BOB. If I'm going to stay there very long then maybe I need water and additional food too.

Back to the beginning, WHY would I need to bug out? Was there some kind of natural disaster? Why wouldn't I just stay home? A hurricane would surely be an excuse, but there is plenty of warning for that. Maybe an earthquake? Most of us could just stay where we were. Even if your dwelling was damaged somewhat, wouldn't you be better off staying there and making do rather than trying to drive out of town? Maybe it depends on what kind of dwelling we have, highrise apartment building vs. single family wood house.

It seems to me that any planning for emergencies would be better spent planning for other types of emergencies-
In my mind most of these scenarios don't involve quickly abandoning your residence, but instead staying there and trying to survive.

Recognizing that things happen when we are away from home, additional preparedness should be done to cover scenarios when you might be at work, or travelling in your car. Each one needs different preparation.
I'm not the survivalist type, but I am a father and do think of these things. If there was a nuclear terrorist act or series of acts, or nuclear meltdown in say for example the North East. And they stopped bringing those little boxes of food, formula and medicine in trucks for a very extended period of time(think about KatrinaX10). You're not going to want to be competing with these folks for what little there is to keep your family alive. You could hold out against the bands of thugs that will form, if the local law enforcment doesn't come by to disarm you, for perhaps a week at most? OK so Hobie could hold out maybe a year but ya get my point. The masses of folks today are not early 20th century Americans like our Grandparents who grew up with adversity, who would share with you their last dime and the shirt off their back(yes, still many amazing folks like that but were talking the masses who live in urban areas). People are different, in my view, and your not going to want to be in the middle of it if at all possible with your family it tow. Take the back roads as quick as you can, if you've got backroads that is! Those are my thoughts, but I truly hope I have it all wrong.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You guys need to know that if you don't already have a place to bug out to the bag will do you little good. Even folks who (as we say) "aren't from around here" but have a place, will be down on the bottom of the locals' list for cooperative ventures.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

C. Cash wrote:
bj94 wrote:Seriously, what is the B.O.B. for? What are the circumstances when you would use it? I thought the idea was that something happens, you don't have time to get organized and pack, so you grab your bag and run out the door.

I'm not the survivalist type, but I am a father and do think of these things. If there was a nuclear terrorist act or series of acts, or nuclear meltdown in say for example the North East. And they stopped bringing those little boxes of food, formula and medicine in trucks for a very extended period of time(think about KatrinaX10). You're not going to want to be competing with these folks for what little there is to keep your family alive. You could hold out against the bands of thugs that will form, if the local law enforcment doesn't come by to disarm you, for perhaps a week at most? OK so Hobie could hold out maybe a year but ya get my point. The masses of folks today are not early 20th century Americans like our Grandparents who grew up with adversity, who would share with you their last dime and the shirt off their back(yes, still many amazing folks like that but were talking the masses who live in urban areas). People are different, in my view, and your not going to want to be in the middle of it if at all possible with your family it tow. Take the back roads as quick as you can, if you've got backroads that is! Those are my thoughts, but I truly hope I have it all wrong.
I agree,

I own 30 acres adjacent to the Strawberry Wilderness Area, but if the S*&T hit the fan, I am sure I would have people from the city trying to take refuge, etc. on my place.....I reckon I would shoot them if they tried to tresspass( they might try to take my life and I can't take care of 10,000 people), for at that point it will be each man for himself. If you live in the Big Citys, I don't think you would stand a chance...I have an M14 and my neighbor has a fully Auto Thompson and a fully auto AK47....If it's a nuke....??
I went through Nuke training in the Marine Corps....Just bend over and kiss your A&S GOOD-BYE :!:
Last edited by Jarhead on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Semper Fi
ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

I live in the 'bugout' spot and I agree with Hobie....if you ain't local you probably ain't welcome. Depending on the severity of the situation, even the "vacation home folks" might have a hard time.

I noticed a lot of you guys have semi-auto pistols and small rifles, such as a .22. Personally, if I had to bugout from here, (Lord help me :roll: )I wouldn't leave without at least one decent piece of ordnance.
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Dang Hobie I was hoping for at least some Biscuits and Gravy! :cry: :wink:

My goal would be to eventually get where there ain't no one else or folks that were less effected by the masses, and hope they have Christ in their hearts!
Last edited by C. Cash on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

ornery wrote:I live in the 'bugout' spot and I agree with Hobie....if you ain't local you probably ain't welcome. Depending on the severity of the situation, even the "vacation home folks" might have a hard time.

I noticed a lot of you guys have semi-auto pistols and small rifles, such as a .22. Personally, if I had to bugout from here, (Lord help me :roll: )I wouldn't leave without at least one decent piece of ordnance.
Yep,

Throw that 22 out the window!! Get a decent piece of ordanance...M14, AK47, etc....1911 45, etc...
Semper Fi
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

There's a great book called 'The Roads of Texas' I used to dodge the 12 hour trip most took when bugging out of Houston for hurricane Rita. It shows darn near every road, path and game trail on it; much better than a Rand McNally when the balloon goes up. Thanks to the panic from Katrina the mess was incredible. After the initial 4 miles (took us about 4 hours) we turned off the main road and sailed along our merry way. We could have lived out of that truck for a week if need be but thankfully didn't need too. My folks near Beaumont bugged out and weren't allowed to return for 3 weeks, save for an escorted trip by the Sheriff for a few necessities and to empty their fridge and freezer into the trash.

Before that, when Allison struck and 18 wheelers were floating down I-10, Cell phone towers didn't work in Houston, and some of the land lines didn't work. Hospitals in the med center were flooded. And I was stuck OUT OF TOWN and had to live away from home for almost a week until the water drained. Having a few necessities always on board helped.

While a total CoMWeC may happen it's more prudent to prepare for a partial disruption of society. So while, yes, swiss army knives and lighters are handy, I'd also recommend:

-$1000.00 Cash (if you can make it to the next town's Walmart...)
-Toilet paper (and sanitary needs for women coming along)
-Necessary prescription meds
-Baby wipes
-Hand sanitizer
-toothbrush/paste
-sporks
-Prell concentrated shampoo (as a detergent it'll wash you, your clothes, your dishes,etc...)
-Solar charger for batteries, car, laptop, cell phone
-100ft of parachute cord
-Secure Flashdrive or SD card (encrypted) with family photos, address book, copies of certificates (licenses, degrees, etc.) passwords, accounts, etc. [MicroCenter has an 8GB flash drive for $30.00 this month]

and as most would agree if you do pack iron, it should be something easy to feed; as in the most common calibers. .22LR, 9mm, .38/357, .45ACP 12ga., etc. It is hard to beat a Glock 9mm; like the M6 rifle it's a tool. Simple, light, rugged, reliable, concealable, common. My next choice would be a 3 or 4" GP100 (not as light though). 10mm may be a stopper alright, but will it be at the feed store when you need more?

Just my 2 cents,
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic