.270 Winchester????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

.270 Winchester????

Post by Rusty »

Is anyone having any success with a particular brand of 130 grain factory ammo?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .270 Winchester????

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote:Is anyone having any success with a particular brand of 130 grain factory ammo?
Good friend of mine swears by Nosler Ballistic tips. :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The last 270 I bought was Speer Nitrex with the 130-grain Grand Slam. It shoots fine but probably hasn't been made in a decade. The absolute best thing about that ammo was the pocket packs. Each box of 20 had 4 packs of 5 rounds in these smaller, fit-in-your-shirt-pocket boxes. There were small folds of the box material between the rounds so they wouldn't rattle in your pocket.

... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A while back, Midway IIRC had a clearance of Federal Fusion .270 which has 140 grain Trophy Bear Claw bullets. They were $12/box again, IIRC. It was a great price though regardless and I bought 10 boxes of the stuff. It shoots under and inch in both of my Stevens 200's.

I haven't shot a deer with it yet but I gave a box to my buddy and he's taken several with them - work about like 150 grain corelocts according to him :)

I used 130 grain Rem CL's on deer and the buck died after running 50 yards - heart shot. But I was kind of surprised that the bullet didn't penetrate all the way through - 110 yard shot - it was balled up and under the skin on the off side. No complaints really as the buck went down...

I think a little tougher bullet is better with 130 while 150 grainers can be core locts and such and do very well - full penetration.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gave a box of that same stuff to this gal who used it to take this deer. Very accurate in both my Ruger and her Remington. 3120 fps in my rifle.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Old Savage wrote:Gave a box of that same stuff to this gal who used it to take this deer. Very accurate in both my Ruger and her Remington. 3120 fps in my rifle.

The Federal Fusion 140's?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Speer Nitrex with the Grand Slam - looks like another post hit before mine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Anyone had any experiance with the Winchester Power Points in 130grn loading?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
jimincolo
Levergunner

Post by jimincolo »

Let me make it three of us. Speer Nitrex loaded with 130 gr. Grand Slams, & the 5 round boxes are the best. I've tried the same bullet with several powders, & cannot get groups equal to the factory round. I wish they would do another run. It is the best factory ammo I have ever used in any caliber.
Jim
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Old Savage wrote:Speer Nitrex with the Grand Slam - looks like another post hit before mine.
Ah. I would be surprised if it was the Federal...

I've been using Speer "hot cores" which are just basic cup and core bullets - with success for years in handloads. Ditto for Hornady interlokts.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Niza told me they were trying the bullets in her rifle and stopped her when the first two were about a dime apart. They should be good for any game including elk in her rifle. Didn't know they stopped making then but should be easy to duplicate with Grand Slam bullets.