OT - AMT 380 Backup - anyone else have one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - AMT 380 Backup - anyone else have one?

Post by AJMD429 »

Just got a (used, obviously) one and it won't fire any ammo I have (all factory, Winchester, Federal, and Blazer). The firing pin indent seems decent, but I note it IS way off-center. Probably the center of the 'pit' is about halfway between the center of the primer and the edge. The same ammo all worked fine in a 30-year-old cheapie 'Grendel'.

OTOH it IS a really nice little gun...

Anyway, since I cannot move the firing pin impact site, and don't think the dent is too shallow, I'm not sure what to do next. Obsolete gun (no manufacturer to send it to), no local gunsmiths I trust, and unsure if there is anything I could do myself. On the other hand, it is a 'classic' gun, and I like the concept of a stainless, simple, small, durable pocket-pistol in .380.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - AMT 380 Backup - anyone else have one?

Post by jeepnik »

I've had one for years. It used to be my "bicycle" gun. I'd suspect that the firing pin channel is dirty, thus slowing down and lightening strike. I have the original manual, I'll scan it if you want. Let me know.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Is that the DAO version? I've got one too, and it's always been dead on reliable for me, guess I was one of the lucky ones. I've got a manual around here scanned in if you want it, PM me.

Looks like this one got shined and pimped up on the slide.

You field strip it (ha!) by driving out that very visible roll pin. No, seriously.

I'm betting there's a lot of pocket fluff and who knows what else up in there. I would just pop the grips and wd-40 everything, especially down in the firing pin channel. Use a piece of brass to keep the slide forced open.

If you want the manual or any other questions, feel free to get in touch. And if you do cleaning, report back with results.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll try the cleaning.

I have the manual and original box, which is the only way I'd know it wasn't a counterfeit gun, as it has no "AMT" marked on it anywhere. I know there were several versions and generations of them, though.

The thing is, the firing pin indentation DEPTH is great; it is just way off-center. Do yours impact far-from-center...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

gvthnks
Levergunner

Post by gvthnks »

Is the barrel fixed or does it move when the weapon cycles? If it moves then it may not be going completely into battery and therefore the firing pin isn't lined up with the bore axis the way it should be.

Is it off center consistently between rounds? It the strike high or left/right?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gvthnks wrote:Is the barrel fixed or does it move when the weapon cycles? If it moves then it may not be going completely into battery and therefore the firing pin isn't lined up with the bore axis the way it should be.

Is it off center consistently between rounds? It the strike high or left/right?
Good questions.

Barrel is fixed, and gun does go fully into battery as far as I can see. I'll have to see if it is high or low or whatever.

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Bought one when they first came out (early 70s?) and still have it. Sometimes when it's too hot to conceal the short barrel Kimber, I pack it but since mine is the single action, I don't really trust it cocked and locked unless carried in a holster that will mechanically and positively keep the safety up. Always intended to make one but never did. I don't take particularily good care of it but it will fire about anything. It has never failed to feed and function so can't help there.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

wecsoger wrote:You field strip it (ha!) by driving out that very visible roll pin. No, seriously.
That might be the issue. A buddy had one and the roll pin would walk out during extended shooting sessions. It's possible the r/p moved and is affecting the f/p. Or the r/p is broken and affecting the f/p.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

HA...!

I found two problems with the gun - the Firing Pin Spring #21 is missing, as is the Firing Pin Block Spring #34. 8) 8)

Of course maybe they were there up until I made the mistake of disassembling it while I was standing in my workshop (aka 'junk pit'), balancing it on one knee, and my toolbox on the other knee. :oops: I heard at least one of them go 'boing' and hit a wall full of bins of thousands of empty cartridge cases (any one of which would eagerly swallow the spring[s] :shock: ).

The GOOD news is I only heard ONE 'boing', and although the spring #34 is TINY, I kind of think it may have been missing. There was NO gunk in the gun, and the firing pin freely can protrude quite far enough, but perhaps not if the #34 spring isn't in place. :|

So......

A handy pre-ban part from the 'pharmaceutical sales rep' era, known as a 'drug rep pen', seems to serve as a donor to provide a test #21 Firing Pin Spring, but the tinly little @$%#@ spring #34 may be a challenge to replicate/borrow/steal/buy. Nonetheless, I think I'm on the right path. 8)

Now I have to decide if I should tear down 100 cubic feet of 'stuff' to look for a spring the size of a peppercorn, that may have never been there in the first place, or try to fabricate something from another part, at least 'good' enough to work for testing purposes. I can always (hopefully, anyway) try to get a proper one from the Gun Parts Corp., or whatever they are known as these days, once I determine if indeed that is the issue.

Meanwhile, I have to see if I can find out if the previous owner actually claims to have been shooting the gun, or perhaps confesses to just having disassembled it to 'clean' it, prior to selling it, and perhaps didn't get all the parts back in place.

That's what I get for buying a used gun. :evil: In fact, I'll bet that spring WAS missing, probably because some complete idiot took the durned thing apart without setting up a clean work-space, probably balancing it on his knee or something, and LOST that spring. . .
. . . uh, er, . . .
before I got a chance to... :lol: :oops:

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks for the update. And obviously you're not the first to airmail pieces/parts to locations unknown during disassembly.

This one is mine

You can see from all the stuff on the slide why they probably polished it off and hence my demeaning comment about someone pimping it up. (grin)

What confused me a little is I thought the mag you had with the finger extension was for the older single action/double action AMT 380. Obviously mine is just plain.

And since you've already cranked it apart, I guess you're good for not needing a manual now?

And yes, for all the eagle eyes out there, the extractor is pushed *up*, which means there's a round in the chamber.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, this weekend I'll try to make a Firing Pin Block Spring out of something.

Hardware stores have smaller 'assorted springs' than Farm stores, but this spring is tiny, so I'll probably cannibalize a spare AR-15 pin-retaining spring or some such.

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Not trying to sound like a smart alec (don't have to try, can do it easily on my own!), but Brownells is showing both springs, in stock and for three sumpin' apiece. Even when you factor in shipping your time is worth a lot more than a quick order. Do it online this weekend, you'll have them before the next weekend. Small parts, they'll send them first class.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4563 ... OCK_SPRING

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4561 ... PIN_SPRING

Here's the schematic, has different part numbers than what you reference. Might want to order another roll pin also.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/si ... mall_Frame
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow. Thanks. I'd looked at GunPartsCorp, but didn't think to try Brownell's.

Brownell's shows the AMT part numbers in the individual parts listings.

That little spring looks 'square' vs. round, so will likely stay in place better if it is a 'real' one.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'll third Brownells. If you can find a factory part, it's usually much better than a homemade one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad