OT-Shooting An Original Sharps Derringer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT-Shooting An Original Sharps Derringer

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy guys,
The Sharps derringer in this short story is another one of those "take home & clean" antiques from Targetmaster. These guns were made from about 1860 to 1872 in Philadelphia and this specimen is in remarkable condition for being made around 1868. Yes, its the same company that made the big buffalo guns but I just don't know why the derringers were made 30 miles down the road from where I live which probably explains why I see them all the time.

This particular gun is chambered for the .22 short but the company also made them in .30 & .32 rimfire. It has a fixed 4 barrel unit with a rotating firing pin which rotates to the next barrel each time the hammer is pulled.

So.........in respect to it's age I load up the gun with Colibri .22 short "caps" which have only priming compound and no powder and then went outside and blasted away. I was shooting fence posts, in the pond, the burn pit, horse piles, even a few towards the neighbor's cat. The accuracy was somewhat amazing and if I held real tight and squeezed 'em off slowly, it would be no problem hitting a man sized target at 25-35 yards.

Yea, I know, the energy level would not do much but...........in those days, the recipient of a chunk of lead was more afraid of getting a bullet in him that would most assuredly cause an infection with a slow death than he was a bullet passing clear through him. (Anyway, thats what I read...I really don't think anyone wanted to get shot with anything, whether it stuck in his gut or passed through a meaty section :wink: )----------------------------Sixgun

Ok boys, here she is :D

The "action" slid forward

Here's a pic of the firing fin. Its a pretty neat arrangement. This baby turns to the next barrel with each pull of the hammer.

Here's an 8 shot "group" which I fired somewhat fast. Some holes look like they keyholed, but they did not--its just the way the paper reacted from the tremendous blow of the 20 grain bullet. :D

The other side.
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT-Shooting An Original Sharps Derringer

Post by gamekeeper »

You get to play with the coolest toys.. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I have always wanted to try one of those! Thanks, good write up!!!
cable
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That's quite cool.

OK. Help me understand if you don't mind.

You said this one shoots .22 Shorts. Is that some old-school .22 Short, BP or some-such, or similar to a modern .22 Short rimfire cartridge?

You know, same but different, or just way different?

Thanks.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yancey Derringer... Too bad John didn't load some BP shorts for you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Neat! Cool! Peachy keen!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

How's the barrel released for load/unloading?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Awesome 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

FWiedner wrote: You said this one shoots .22 Shorts. Is that some old-school .22 Short, BP or some-such, or similar to a modern .22 Short rimfire cartridge?
:)

It the same .22 Short you and I have been shooting since we were kids.............but..............the gun was intended to be used with low pressure blackpowder. I did fire a few regular target velocity .22 Shorts out of the gun but the rim on the case flowed outward between the back of the barrel and the recoil plate. and had to be punched out with a bit of force. The tolerences were a bit relaxed in those days.----------Sixgun
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:How's the barrel released for load/unloading?
Griff,
Look in the first picture and you will see a blued screw sticking out of the bottom. It is spring loaded. You just push up on it and slide the barrel assembly forward at the same time---Neato!-----------Sixgun
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

One of those was my Grandfather's favorite pocket pistols.

Don't know what happened to it. it wasn't with his stuff after he passed.

have fun Jack!!

jb :mrgreen:
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I had an imported replica of the Sharps 4 barrel back in the 60s.
It was an interesting toy.
The modern made replicas were more closely fitted, but no stronger than the originals.
They were intended to fire only standard velocity ammo.
I found that I could hit a barn from the inside, but only if all the doors and windows were closed. :lol:

Jack
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun, I hate you... :wink: 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

That is nice. Paint me green!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

As I read yor post I fondle the 4 Aces in my pocket. The 4 Aces is a handmade copy of the Sharps that was made in about 1965, if I remember right Navy Arms had them for a while. On this gun the parts will interchange with the original I got to handle. My little gun was carried as a backup gun by a friend of mine up till the time he died and then it went to me. I carry it same as he did in my shirt pocket for luck, but if need be the 4 shorts in the tubes will be better than nothing. I can keep all my shots on a head size target at 10 yards if I try but with luck I will never have to shoot anything but a pie plate. Too bad SASS doesn't realize that Remington wasn't the only derringer maker.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

KCSO wrote:As I read yor post I fondle the 4 Aces in my pocket. The 4 Aces is a handmade copy of the Sharps that was made in about 1965, if I remember right Navy Arms had them for a while. On this gun the parts will interchange with the original I got to handle. My little gun was carried as a backup gun by a friend of mine up till the time he died and then it went to me. I carry it same as he did in my shirt pocket for luck, but if need be the 4 shorts in the tubes will be better than nothing. I can keep all my shots on a head size target at 10 yards if I try but with luck I will never have to shoot anything but a pie plate. Too bad SASS doesn't realize that Remington wasn't the only derringer maker.
You know something? I'm with 'ya as in my personal opinion, the 4 barrel derringer is not really that bad of a secondary self defense handgun. Its small, fits in the pocket and is easy to operate somewhat fast. I believe there could be a market for something like this, but...........of course........say, in 32 mag? :wink: --------------Sixgun
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Great pics of a great specimen - never saw a four barrel pepperbox that looked that good -

A few years ago a grateful patient gave me this specimen she had inherited - .308 cartridge is for size perspective -

.30 caliber rimfire - I would be hesitant to shoot it even if it were in better shape and ammo could be found - I didn't know they had 22 shorts then -

Roll mark says "SHARPS 1859"
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Six, as the Joker said about the Batman – “Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?”
Very, very cool 8)
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Sharps derringer was not made by the same company that made the famous rifles. Christian Sharps, the designer of the falling block action, left the rifle company in 1853 and formed C. Sharps and later Sharps and Hankins. It was these latter two firms that made the multi-barrel derringer.

The Sharps Rifle Company continued on without Sharps and made all of the famous Civil War and buffalo rifles until going belly up in the early 1880s. While Sharps was the designer of the basic action, he never was the majority stockholder of the company.

Sharps didn't get to keep his designs/patents, so he went on to design firearms with action that unlocked and the barrels slid forward as per the derringer. Sharps and Hankins also produced a single shot carbine that operated in much the same way.

This will explain why there were made 30 miles down the road from you.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Hobie, how can you POSSIBLY be old enough to know about the TV series "Yancey Derringer" in which Jock Mahoney carried one of these as a belly gun. His sidekick had the artillery as you may also know......X Brands as Pahoo Katewa, "Wolf who stands in water" a pawnee who carried a sawed-off 10 gauge shotgun with which he tore up a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff, aside from killing many white-eyes defending Yancey. Tell me you're NOT as old as I am, (64-1/2)!! jd45
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool little shooters.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jd45 wrote:Hobie, how can you POSSIBLY be old enough to know about the TV series "Yancey Derringer" in which Jock Mahoney carried one of these as a belly gun. His sidekick had the artillery as you may also know......X Brands as Pahoo Katewa, "Wolf who stands in water" a pawnee who carried a sawed-off 10 gauge shotgun with which he tore up a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff, aside from killing many white-eyes defending Yancey. Tell me you're NOT as old as I am, (64-1/2)!! jd45
No, I'm not as old as you are. I am, however, interested in everything and somewhere along the line I was exposed to the show. BTW, did you know that Sally Fields is Jock's stepdaughter?
Sincerely,

Hobie

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I think I have it's twin! :lol: Note 22 shorts in the pic. Those are BP shorts, and I fired 4 for effect. I don't know about low pressure, but they were snappy little buggers! :o

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

[quote="Grizzly Adams"]I think I have it's twin! :lol: Note 22 shorts in the pic. Those are BP shorts, and I fired 4 for effect. I don't know about low pressure, but they were snappy little buggers! :o

Ha! Ain't that somethin'! :D About the same condition and all! Neato.

Yep, even those lowly shorts are snappy in the little Sharps
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

No Hobie, I was not aware of that! Sixgun, thanx for showing us your little prize. It's great! And yours, too Grizz. jd45