The Mossberg Win 94 lookalike Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

The Mossberg Win 94 lookalike Gun

Post by Bullard4075 »

I had a gentleman in the store today who reported problems (failure to feed
from the magazine) with his new Mossberg 464. Being new to retail, and knowing
little to nothing of the new Mossberg I would like your input. I know there will
always complainers but this gentleman sent his rifle back to Mossberg, who
returned it and the problem (shells won't exit the magazine onto the carrier) continues.
Your thoughts?
Incidentally he bought a Marlin 336W, 30-30 with the intent of returning the Mossberg.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Hobie

Re: The Mossberg Win 94 lookalike Gun

Post by Hobie »

Well, I work firearms retail, too. We have one 464 and have never sold one. Regardless of the make, I always counsel that a new firearm which doesn't function as it should MUST be returned to the manufacturer (if they will take it). A retailer can't take the gun back without it being repaired.

All NEW guns are sold with the expectation that they work. If they don't work it is the MANUFACTURER'S responsibility to fix it. Certainly a lemon is going to kill business for any given manufacturer. I know that there are some people who won't touch a Mossberg shotgun because of a bad experience with a used shotgun. In this circumstance, the owner should re-return the gun until it is fixed OR replaced and DEMAND that it be on Mossberg's dime. Once it is fixed, then sell it. I know I would be pitching a fit if a gun was returned in the same or worse condition than when it went out.

Now, as to the problem. The cartridge isn't even pushed out onto the carrier/lifter? This is such a basic problem that I can't believe that Mossberg didn't fix it. Does your shop have a safe place or method (dummy cartridges) to try it out? Some folks find they don't like something and just make up a reason to get the store to do an exchange or refund.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Check this link -

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 77&start=0

Just a click on searches will give lots of info - there has been more than plenty written about the Mossberg 464 - many problems coming up before one magazine full has gone through it and even before the first round is shot.

My extractor failed after two (that's right - 2 !!!) rounds and I had to pay for the rifle to be sent to the repair facility - half way across the country from the factory. The next failure came while loading the rifle before another round was shot .

Mossberg has ignored the problems - I can't believe any test firing was done on random specimens since so many failed so early out of the box - and, I think it says a great deal about Mossberg's sense of responsibility for customer's safety - or lack thereof. I've been shooting some 85 years and have never witnessed anything like this in any gun or manufacturer of guns - or anything else, for that matter.

Mossberg is just lucky no injuries resulted in their negligence plus indifference to customer's problems with their "new" rifle. It should be noted Mossberg produced a number of models of lever rifles some 20 years ago in 30-30 and, IIRC, rimfire - none of which have been produced the past 15 years - which I would interpret as saying they failed the market test for good reason.

I will never touch anything even remotely related to "MOSSBERG" again.
Last edited by OJ on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OJ wrote:I will never touch anything even remotely related to "MOSSBERG" again.
At least their pump shotguns seem pretty good...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

AJMD429 wrote:
OJ wrote:I will never touch anything even remotely related to "MOSSBERG" again.
At least their pump shotguns seem pretty good...

I wouldn't have a Mossberg, anything, ever again. They are cheap for a reason, at least the shotguns are. They work for some, but I know many who have had troubles with them. Now that Mossberg leveraction is not exactly cheap, and I don't know why anyone would buy one when the price is not that far away from even a pretty good pre-64 Winchester, and sure enough a post 64, or even a Marlin.

I just don't get it, why anybody would purchase one.
NRA Life Member, Patron
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've never cared for the looks of the Mossberg lever, but they should stand behind it and fix it right. No matter what it cost.
Old Law Dawg